Uni For Daughter

Amir

Hey there,

My daughter seems to be pretty much interested in doing a tourism management carrier and checked out some BBA's followed by MBA's and we have identified a few interesting Universities. I am a little concerened as "reputation" and "quality" seem often to be misunderstood in Thailand...

Example, I am living next to a "famous Uni", and I can see how people talk about it in a very good way. Living realy close by, having students renting town houses and houses in my compound as well as having a few foreign teacher as neighbours, I would never send my daughter to this Uni (students care mainly about party, how short their black uniform skirts are, their new BMW's that father just bought, which restaurant to have dinner and where to go get your hair done...).

I mean i was student too and not the best one, but this is quite extreme for a well "reputated Uni" that acepts anyone who can pay and rejects in year 2, 3 and 4 more than 60% of the students not achieving minimum grades or requierements (easy to get a good succes rate at final exam for the masters).

Anyway, Point is I am looking fr a good UNi with a "good" working environment and we where thinking about ABAC and Prince of Songkhla Uni Phuket Campus (PSU).

PSU looks more difficult to enter (several exams) not surprising as a Governement Uni and ABAC seems to admit almost everyone given a certain english level and able to pay...

Could someone give me some more info regarding ABAC university (suvarnabhumi campus). Diploma is world wide recognized, it has a good "reputation" but I would like to know if the environment is good as well (good balance between Student life and working environment, not too much show off from different social milieus,...)

Thanks for any advise.

Cheers

Rangsit University, University of Chiang Mai and University of Khon Kaen have good reputations as hard-to-get-into government institutions.

Ramkhamhaeng cannot claim to have be so selective but their Faculty of Law is well regarded by those in the know, apparently.

As it happens I was having a discussion with some Thai teachers about Thai universities today and found out that a year or two ago KKU topped Chula in grade averages.

Edited by Trembly

Hi Trembly,

Rangsit is a private University and has only a good reputation as they allow everyone (having money) into the Uni and than start to cut them off after 2nd year as not achieveing minimum requiered grades. That's how the %age of succes is good.. To be more exact and depending on what subject you enroll, they take all those who have NOT been taken anywhere. Reasons why the students fail at Rangsit Uni is because they care much more about party, "I don t care i got money" and other stuff. I am convienced that this UNI does not have a suitable environment for serious studying. As I mentione in my first message, I have nothing about fun student live but there has to be a balance.

I live in Muang Ake since 6 years and the Uni is 2 minutes away from my house and if there is one Uni I can argue about it is Rangsit. I even have farang english teachers living in my compound so have some deep detail aout this Uni which used to be my first choice for my daughter for proximity reasons...

I would definitly not advise anyone to send their kids there except maybe for some of the science degrees (which seem much more serious students).

I agree with you on Chula (and Kasetsart) having been passed by some smaller Unis.

Thanks for your input.