State Of Play In Your Relationship.

Your current relationship status.  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well done, theblether, at last a poll that makes sense and is of interest. This has obviously been well thought out.

I wasn’t surprised that the highest vote in the financial compatibility is My partner is 100% dependent on me, but would have thought that the amount of farangs married to much younger Thai women would have been much higher. So again this is very interesting.

Perhaps more will vote later on and there will be some surprises in store.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done, theblether, at last a poll that makes sense and is of interest. This has obviously been well thought out.

I wasn’t surprised that the highest vote in the financial compatibility is My partner is 100% dependent on me, but would have thought that the amount of farangs married to much younger Thai women would have been much higher. So again this is very interesting.

Perhaps more will vote later on and there will be some surprises in store.

Thanks very much beetlejuice, I agree the poll has thrown up some interesting results so far. There are a couple of things that I find fascinating however I'll let them lie just now until we get more responses.

The data(If everybody is posting truthfully which as we know could be BS) is actually quite interesting........

Yep ... I'm pushing for the ...

"How honestly did you asnwer the questions above?"

100%

cheesy.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

or, I'm ex-SAS and I could tell you but then I'd have to ...

But, nah I'm not a cynic and would hope that people would answer honestly with say a 10% statical error.

Edited by David48

The data(If everybody is posting truthfully which as we know could be BS) is actually quite interesting........

Yep ... I'm pushing for the ...

"How honestly did you asnwer the questions above?"

100%

cheesy.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

or, I'm ex-SAS and I could tell you but then I'd have to ...

But, nah I'm not a cynic and would hope that people would answer honestly with say a 10% statical error.

I agree. Polls are only good as the input data accuracy. I very curious about the "rock solid relationship" number.

There's not one for this bloke I met in Lopburi

" Married a girl in a village ceremony who I then discovered was legally married to a Thai man but I still loved her so I legally married her younger sister so I could get a Non-O visa and stay in Thailand. I stay with the older sister during them week but have to move out on weekends when her legal Thai husband visits and stays in the house that I built"

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

" Married a girl in a village ceremony who I then discovered was legally married to a Thai man but I still loved her so I legally married her younger sister so I could get a Non-O visa and stay in Thailand. I stay with the older sister during them week but have to move out on weekends when her legal Thai husband visits and stays in the house that I built"

nothing like a bit of diversity ...........:)

I doubt apart from age and economic the poll would be much different in a western country.

I can see why you would say that, I tend to agree. It's making for some interesting reading.

@david48, the poll is throwing up results which are the opposite of what many of us may have expected.

@JAFO, again I agree, very interesting results coming in.

It's reckoned that approx 1000 people need to participate in a poll to give it statistical credence. We won't get that level of input, i'm hoping for 200+ members to vote and that will give us something to get our teeth into.

PM your pals here on Thaivisa and ask them to come out of the sub forums and vote.

nothing like a bit of diversity ...........smile.png

The disturbing part was this was relayed to me ( a total stranger ) as if it were the most obvious and natural thing to do in this situation.

Even more disturbing was that he hailed from my home town to boot.

Edited by mca

nothing like a bit of diversity ...........smile.png

The disturbing part was this was relayed to me ( a total stranger ) as if it were the most obvious and natural thing to do in this situation.

Even more disturbing was that he hailed from my home town to boot.

To be fair mca, I had a pal who was the long time partner of a married lady. She was a catholic and refused to get divorced, so far not unusual, the unusual thing was that she agreed with her husband that the marriage was over but they stayed together in the same house to bring the kids up.

This went on for about 9 or 10 years, the husband used to drop her off at the boyfriends house ( my pals house ), and on occasion come into the pub with her and have a pint with my pal and her.

This weird set up rolled along for years as I said until my pal drank himself to death in a binge aged 37. Look behind the net curtains in any British street and you will be amazed at what you find. Maybe Thailand is just more open about it.

Edited by theblether

Another consideration, I have found in my living experience here that where the foreigner hails from will have a huge impact on the input data.

In my travels the guys I have met from UK are far more happier with their decision to live in Thailand and defend it vehemently Vs foreigners from the US or even OZ. It always seems to be a comment that the UK sucks, the weather is dismal which moving here to TL would be a step up in their eyes where as a person from the US may not see it as that. Additional information on the person contributing to the poll would be where they come from.

I am from the US and see Thailand far differently. Be interesting to see a specific poll broken up by country folks came from. I bet that data would tell a tale.

Another consideration, I have found in my living experience here that where the foreigner hails from will have a huge impact on the input data.

In my travels the guys I have met from UK are far more happier with their decision to live in Thailand and defend it vehemently Vs foreigners from the US or even OZ. It always seems to be a comment that the UK sucks, the weather is dismal which moving here to TL would be a step up in their eyes where as a person from the US may not see it as that. Additional information on the person contributing to the poll would be where they come from.

I am from the US and see Thailand far differently. Be interesting to see a specific poll broken up by country folks came from. I bet that data would tell a tale.

Fair point, i'll look at expanding to include these points in a future poll.

Just come into this one. The question that has to be asked Blether is, why do you feel the need to know? Are you bored? Lonely? Can't believe this has run to four pages already. I can see from your previous posts that you consider yourself a bit " Wacky". "Cutting edge". I accept that it strikes a chord with some posters on here, fair enough. But for those of us with an IQ bigger than our boot size it is a bit puzzling! Just saying!

Just come into this one. The question that has to be asked Blether is, why do you feel the need to know? Are you bored? Lonely? Can't believe this has run to four pages already. I can see from your previous posts that you consider yourself a bit " Wacky". "Cutting edge". I accept that it strikes a chord with some posters on here, fair enough. But for those of us with an IQ bigger than our boot size it is a bit puzzling! Just saying!

Nice troll attempt. When I feel the need to justify myself to a clown you will be top of the list.

Just saying.

Well, you still never gave an answer to the guy. I was also puzzled, especially when I saw how many choices there are on the options. What (and how) exactly are you going to do with it all once you crunch the numbers.

I am not a clown either so please don't come back with that answer

Nice troll attempt. When I feel the need to justify myself to a clown you will be top of the list.

Just saying.

Well, you still never gave an answer to the guy. I was also puzzled, especially when I saw how many choices there are on the options. What (and how) exactly are you going to do with it all once you crunch the numbers.

I think most members here are inquisitive and not always in the good way so I don't see anything wrong with theblethers poll. Or are you just afraid to admit something?

Edited by maxme

Just saying.

I think most members here are inquisitive and not always in the good way so I don't see anything wrong with theblethers poll. Or are you just afraid to admit something?

Just coming back into this one but the question has to be asked Exsexyman, why do you feel the need to know? Are you bored? Lonely? Can’t believe after reading four pages you still need to ask. Sorry about your feet or whatever being so small. Just saying.tongue.pngbiggrin.pnglaugh.png

phuturatica ... ^ I think we are beginning to like you ^.

Please don't be a guy when we have a coke (because being carefull about your liver ... thumbsup.gif ) but just a western lassie who is a unique person with a liberal attitude and brave enough to move to a new country!

• Like 1

Where is the box for `My partner is a well educated, rich Chinese-Thai from an influential family. Ner ner ner ne Ner nerr`?

Just below the "i married a wealthy southern girl who promised to cut off my cahones if i ever look at another girl."

Where is the box for `My partner is a well educated, rich Chinese-Thai from an influential family. Ner ner ner ne Ner nerr`?

Just below the "i married a wealthy southern girl who promised to cut off my cahones if i ever look at another girl."

ive been promised that by poor girls also :)

Just saying.

The reason for the poll was clearly explained in the OP. The amount of choices has been appreciated by many members, who are intrigued by the info coming through, as I am.

Anyone with eyes can see that exsexyman was directly attacking me. Ask any valid question and you will get an answer, attack and you will get the answer appropriate to you.

You have asked a direct question. Once the poll closes I will be picking out the findings I find most interesting and starting a thread ( probably more than one ) so that we can discuss. Other members will no doubt be doing the same as the poll belongs to everyone.

I don't feel the need to explain my personal circumstances on this site, there are members who know me personally ( as in, in real life ) who wince and at the same time get highly amused at some of the stupid personal comments directed at me.

Don't play the man, play the ball. If you don't like the poll don't participate, if you don't like the topics I start don't read then, if you have nothing to add then don't subtract by making unwarranted off topic comments.

Ps. On a daily basis, my employees, friends, kids, sisters, other family members and father read Thaivisa. This is not a secret society, there are thousands upon thousands of guests on this site every day.

I have Sunday dinner with my extended family every week. Thaivisa is rarely the topic of conversation, when it is I can look my family in the eye and justify every word of content I put up. There a a lot of members that could do that, there are a fair few though that couldn't justify themselves in front of a mirror.

I'll stick to interacting with the first category, those excellent, erudite, humorous and intelligent members that make this site a pleasure. The mirror dodgers are beyond help.

' Yes Mum, after all you did for me, everything you taught me, I'm an internet troll. Please don't tell Dad '

• Like 1

An excellent poll here. How meaningful are the results is open to debate, and as it has been said, the discussion may only help the curious. But wouldn't it be interesting to have a greater set of respondents, and a more accurate representation of life here?

For example, I am assuming most respondents are male, are non Thai, and are partnered with a Thai national.

What about the 'marriages' that are from the same cultural/national backgrounds? How have they responded? Are they the only ones that have ticked the rock solid relationship box? And what about those that have partners that are 100% dependant on them financially; is it fair to assume that this is a younger thai woman with an older non-thai man?

I think there are a lot of assumptions - and myths - about mixed relationships in this country. I would love to see some of them dispelled. Like ..... is it a myth that on average, a young thai woman is only with an older farang because of his money and that that relationship is doomed to failure? Or are there loads of marriages based on these differences that have weathered the test of time? The result of this poll indicate there are a large number of rock solid relationships, but we can't tell if they are mixed marriages, or not, nor can we tell what role finance plays in it.

Like I say, an excellent poll and I would love to see more detailed - and more extensive - research. No idea if this would ever be possible. But I would love to know if the pre-conceived ideas that so many people have about farangs in Thailand are indeed actually true. Or not.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Sorry Blether, I didn't actually see where the guy was attacking you, my question was about the amount of choices being maybe too much for any definite conclusions to be reached. I certainly wasn't attacking your personal space.