Myanmar Asked To Send Karen General To Face Thai Court Over Drug Charges

webfact

Myanmar asked to send Karen general to face Thai court over drug charges

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Myanmar authorities have been asked to hand over the leader of an armed Karen group to face prosecution in Thailand for alleged drug production and dealing, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said yesterday.

Chalerm said he would not back down from his announced aim of apprehending General Na Kha Muay, the top leader of the Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA), for whom a Thai arrest warrant was issued nine years ago.

"The court would not have approved the warrant without sufficient evidence," Chalerm said.

The DKBA has closed 12 border checkpoints and stationed troops at some of them. The group has reportedly prevented Myanmar vendors from entering Thailand in some places. A warning issued by authorities in Tak's Phob Phra district advised Thai nationals against entering Myanmar.

Among the closed checkpoints is a location across from Konekane village in Mae Sot. This site, however, is controlled by the Myanmar army, to which the DKBA is allied. The restriction, which began on Thurs-day, has brought local trade to a standstill.

BURDEN 'ON NA KHA MUAY'

Chalerm, countering Na Kha Muay's challenge to produce evidence against him, as well as his demand that his name be removed from a Thai blacklist, said the burden was on Na Kha Muay to clear his name in a Thai court "because he committed crimes in Thailand".

The Foreign Ministry said local trade along the Thai-Myanmar border in Tak and other areas where border crossings were closed by DKBA troops "continued as normal", and that the conflict over the DKBA general had not affected bilateral relations.

"The Myanmar leadership has a good understanding of the issue, while citizens of both countries travel across the border regularly," deputy ministry spokesman Dam-rong Khraikhruan said at a press conference yesterday.

"What is occurring at the border is merely a reaction to a Thai arrest warrant for individuals involved in the illicit drug business. Thailand believes that the Myanmar authorities have sufficient capability to handle internal problems on its sovereign soil, just as Thailand believes the Myanmar authorities wish to see peace in the border areas of both countries," he said.

"The closure of border crossings can be done legitimately only by |the Myanmar authorities, and the action of such a group should not have an extensive impact," said Damrong, a deputy director-general of the ministry's Department of Information.

The head of the Tak Chamber of Commerce, Banphot Kokiatcha-roen, said the Myanmar authorities |would not close border checkpoints to support the DKBA's action, adding that local trade in many areas |continued.

"There is cargo waiting to cross the border, while Myanmar vendors are entering Thailand to purchase goods in Mae Sot," he said.

Myanmar is opening up to foreign investment in preparation for the Asean Economic Community in 2015, and border closure would serve no purpose, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-05

Thaksin has been charged for crimes committed in Thailand, has been convicted by Thai courts, but for some crazy reason i do not see this government blacklisting him or doing much man hunting, now that's weirdblink.png double standards from an upstanding politician like Chalerm

"The court would not have approved the warrant without sufficient evidence," Chalerm said.

I think I'll need to file that quote away. I think it will be used quite a bit.

Edited by whybother

Thaksin has been charged for crimes committed in Thailand, has been convicted by Thai courts, but for some crazy reason i do not see this government blacklisting him or doing much man hunting, now that's weirdblink.png double standards from an upstanding politician like Chalerm

Thaksin runs Thailand.

Thaksin runs Thailand.

and the general in question runs the army, whats your point?

Isn't it possible with you idiots to have a conversation about something other than Thaksin...you are obsessed with the guy...he's not part of this story...go vent your silly bile on a forum about him

Isn't it possible with you idiots to have a conversation about something other than Thaksin...you are obsessed with the guy...he's not part of this story...go vent your silly bile on a forum about him

OK, leave Thaksin out of it. I wonder how Chalerm feels about his fellow PTP party list MPs and cabinet ministers who have outstanding warrants for terrorism and other charges who are evading those charges thanks to their position. Then we could discuss the court charges against his sons, one of whom fled the country while doing his conscription, came back after the "fix' was done, and was PROMOTED.

The way I translate this whole situation is, the general got too big for his britches and/or didn't want to continue paying who he had to pay in Thailand, or the amount paid. Or, the Thai he was paying off to move his drugs into the country demanded more money (or wanted it all for himself). When it wasn't paid, he created a problem.

That is how real business works in Thailand. So long as everyone is greased properly, there are no problems.

• Like 1