Wagashi

eek

Didnt know where else to put this topic, so pub it is!

I love healthy food, but i also have a sweet tooth. Wagashi seems to hit the spot when im craving something a bit sweeter, but not too junkish.

I actually dont know if these are good or bad for us. Maybe its false to think they may be healthier than pastries or other snacks. But yummy regardless.

Any relatively interesting or unusual (in a western sense anyway) foods or drinks you like (buying or making)?

Simple Wagashi

ao-ume-close-up.jpg

Pretty Wagashi!

wagashi-img1.gif

Tutsi, you playing silly beggars again? ^.^

Do you have a large mall where you are? Usually there are one of those Japanese bakeries which have sprouted up everywhere in them. I forget the name though, will take a look next time.

Give one a try. Its really very delicious!

Good for you 'Wagashi'

Red beans are the main ingredient of 'wagashi', with wheat, rice, sesame seeds, yam, sugar and 'kanten' (agar) being added where necessary. Confectioners use all natural ingredients that are loaded with vegetable products and not animal fats (except eggs), which is good news for those worried about cholesterol. For example, red bean jam 'an' (a common 'wagashi' ingredient made from boiled 'azuki' beans and sugar) is rich in quality protein and has a good balance of linolic and linolen acid, vitamins E, B1, B2, B6, amino acid, mineral calcium, phosphor, potassium, magnesium and iron. 'Wagashi' are also high in vegetable fiber which aids in digestion. It is no wonder these delicious sweets are praised for being both tasty and healthy!

Rumour has it they are excellent for hangovers ....rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Since there is almost no limits to the excitement this thread has generated I thought I better provide a breaking news update.

Fuji on soi 33/1 is open again.

As way of alternative, there is the supermarket in Isetan.

Wagashi is way cheaper here than the UK but much more than Japan.