Opening A Thai Bank

Hi

What is needed for a British Man to open a bank account in Thailand, Im married to a Thai and have a child, Il be moving over in Feb and just need to know what are the requirments?

I would need it for when I start work in March and a place to store all my pennys!

Do the Thai banks dislike giving out accounts to foreign nationals?

Would handing over cash be ok or do they need to do a transfer of funds from a bank you have in the UK?

Thanks for any info you can give me on this :o

Hi

What is needed for a British Man to open a bank account in Thailand, Im married to a Thai and have a child, Il be moving over in Feb and just need to know what are the requirments?

I would need it for when I start work in March and a place to store all my pennys!

Do the Thai banks dislike giving out accounts to foreign nationals?

Would handing over cash be ok or do they need to do a transfer of funds from a bank you have in the UK?

Thanks for any info you can give me on this :o

I opened a savings account with Bangkok Bank with copies of my passport only.

Got a bank book and a cash card on the spot.

After one year of using the acount (international transfers in and out, cash in out at ATMs) I am now applying for internet access to my account (bualang)

It is supposed to require a work permit but my 1 year Non-IM 1 year stay and copy of driving license convinced them to accept the application.

If your branch makes difficulties, ask them to call 1333 (bangkok Bank helpline who are very well aware of the 'rules')

http://www.bbl.co.th/Bangkok+Bank/Personal...d+Questions.htm

Edited by Krub

Hmm.. I get saving account, atm card and internet

access right away, only need passport or thai

id or driving licence to proof id.

Also address in thailand required (not hotel add.)

Of course little bit money (Atm card was 50 thb)

Maybe they have been change policy?

Some banks give you everything straight away; book, ATM, online banking etc., with just your passport....Krung Thai - Lampang for me. Some flatly refuse without a non imm and w/p, just shop around until you find one.

You don't need much money, 100bt will do it, ATM card price varies, 50bt - 250bt. You don't need regular transfers from the UK.

Depends what kind of account.

A savings account with visa electron is no problem with many banks.

I can't get a visa though with any Thai bank nd I am married to a local and have a work permit.

I opened a joint account in Bkk bank. I got an International Visa card and the wife got the Visa Electron, took us all of five minutes.

Udon, I know about the search facility ok mate, but things change all the time. What 20 people wrote one time for someone may be old news now! I want new and the latest information about my question and I feel, people who read old topics should still post new ones if it means that much to them!

Thanks for all the posts by the way, some great info in there.

Thanks to all!

Watch out if you have a low balance as they will take out a monthly fee if it falls below a certain amount.

I opened an account with Kasikorn with just my passport and wifeys home address but was told if there was less than 2000 Bht they would deduct a monthly fee. Can't remember how much.

Udon, I know about the search facility ok mate, but things change all the time.  What 20 people wrote one time for someone may be old news now!  I want new and the latest information about my question and I feel, people who read old topics should still post new ones if it means that much to them!

Thanks to all!

The way to open a Thai savings a/c by expats, hasn't changed in the last 6 years!

Udon, I know about the search facility ok mate, but things change all the time.  What 20 people wrote one time for someone may be old news now!  I want new and the latest information about my question and I feel, people who read old topics should still post new ones if it means that much to them!

Thanks to all!

The way to open a Thai savings a/c by expats, hasn't changed in the last 6 years!

There are rules and ways but as we all know TIT it is interresting to exchange info on how the rules and ways are applied at different institutions and even within the same institutions at different locations

Without the info given on this forum a year ago I would not have insisted to open an account at the first refusal from the bank's staff.

I am very gratefull for this info on this board as unlike Bangkok, there is not a great choice of banks in my small country town.

ALthough repeating info can be tiresome, I will try to help as I have been helped.

I always though that a free exchange of views is what keeps a forum alive. I have found the info on this subject extremely useful and I am sure it's up to date.

I am not married (been married once, trying to aviod it since). Does this make a difference when opening an account?

I am living with my Thai lady partner here in the UK and would like to build up some funds in Thailand.

Thanks all :o

I always though that a free exchange of views is what keeps a forum alive. I have found the info on this subject extremely useful and I am sure it's up to date.

I am not married (been married once, trying to aviod it since). Does this make a difference when opening an account?

I am living with my Thai lady partner here in the UK and would like to build up some funds in Thailand.

Thanks all    :o

It might. I have always received the normal twice yearly interest on my joint bank account at Bangkok Bank but some people report not receiving interest. Not sure of the reason.

Just give her the money - I am sure she will find a way to keep it safe. :D

But would it not make more sense to keep the money in a major currency in case of exchange fluctuations? It you even want to use the money to buy a condo in your name for example it will have to come from overseas. I would not keep more than spending money in an account here if you live elsewhere.

Thanks all    :o

If the account is opened in your name, being single or married has no implications.