Car Insurance In Malaysia For Thai Registered Vehicle ?

You need to get a translation of your license number done at your local MVB before leaving ...wink.png

On the Malaysian side of the border they will put the translated letters and province you are from in Thailand onto your vehicle.

There are offices just after the border crossing in Sadoa, (assuming that is the crossing you will use) set up to do the insurance and plate number. If I remember correctly the insurance is good for three months. Not sure how much for car, I did mine crossing on motor bike... I believe the process is the same.

Another thing to be aware of, there are many toll booths headed down the west side of Malaysia to KL. Some many kilometers apart some very close together especially around KL. Make sure to have "small change"... Motor bikes can bye pass these booths, motor cars /truck pay! There is a one way toll over the Penang bridge also regardless of type of vehicle.

Safe journey!

Edited by samuijimmy

You need to get a translation of your license number done at your local MVB before leaving ...wink.png

On the Malaysian side of the border they will put the translated letters and province you are from in Thailand onto your vehicle.

There are offices just after the border crossing in Sadoa, (assuming that is the crossing you will use) set up to do the insurance and plate number. If I remember correctly the insurance is good for three months. Not sure how much for car, I did mine crossing on motor bike... I believe the process is the same.

Another thing to be aware of, there are many toll booths headed down the west side of Malaysia to KL. Some many kilometers apart some very close together especially around KL. Make sure to have "small change"... Motor bikes can bye pass these booths, motor cars /truck pay! There is a one way toll over the Penang bridge also regardless of type of vehicle.

Safe journey!

Many thanks for the information and to the other poster who said that I cannot extend my car insurance to cover Malaysia