Uk Settlement Visa Application Waiting Times, Bangkok

Just to let people know my wife has received an email stating that a decision has been made and that her documents will be ready to collect from the vfs within 2 working days.

She submitted her application on 5th July and we cant believe a decision has been made already! although we did request priory due to family reasons so they must have taken this into account.

We prey for a positive outcome.

Mornin all.

Looking over the stats from members i can see that there seem to be a high percentage of visas being issued,Is this due to good paper work or due to the fact that we are married?

The high success rate is mainly down to members following the 6P principle: Proper Preparation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.

Married or not, if the applicant provides the evidence to show that they meet the criteria for the visa applied for; it will, usually, be issued.

I say 'usually' because it must be said that ECOs do sometimes make mistakes.

Kadafi, applications can jump the queue for compassionate reasons.

Here's hoping the confusion over whether her LitUK test negates the need for an A1 pass has not resulted in a refusal.

Kadafi, applications can jump the queue for compassionate reasons.

Here's hoping the confusion over whether her LitUK test negates the need for an A1 pass has not resulted in a refusal.

She submitted the application on 5/7 but she took the english test at vantage on 12/7. My wife then submitted the english test blue certificates to vfs on 19/7 as embassy had made contact requesting them.

My wife got B1 speaking and A2 listening which i thought was a good score smile.png shame she just missed out on getting B1 in both areas.

Edited by Kadafi

Indeed, as the new ILR rules from October 2013 mean she will need B1 in both when she applies for ILR

I think you'd posted before that she'd taken it; but I'd forgotten.ermm.gif

I assume you mean 12/7 and 19/7.

Indeed, as the new ILR rules from October 2013 mean she will need B1 in both when she applies for ILR

I think you'd posted before that she'd taken it; but I'd forgotten.ermm.gif

I assume you mean 12/7 and 19/7.

yes i did post it somewhere before but not sure which thread.

Does my wife have to take the whole test again or can she take just the listening test somewhere as she has already past the speaking at B1 level.

Edited by Kadafi

Good luck Kadafi that was fast. We submitted our two child applications on the same day as you. We also stated

There has been a significant change in my two children's circumstances

and there are serious, and compelling family reasons, along with compassionate grounds for their applications.

Edited by ralphsilver

Hardgrafter and thomp, you must be going mad by now. I'm going potty waiting to hear something.

Hi mate,

Yeah.. I think that's a pretty fair summary of where we're at just now (and, my wife is worse too - "baa mak mak" as she'd say!).

I know that I've been saying this for a fortnight now, but I'm sure we will hear something tomorrow.

Thanks,

thomp256

Good luck Kadafi that was fast. We submitted our two child applications on the same day as you. We also stated

There has been a significant change in my two children's circumstances

and there are serious, and compelling family reasons, along with compassionate grounds for their applications.

Thanks ralphsilver, my wife goes to collect her passport tomorrow...if good news she will fly to the UK on saturday.

Are you in UK? is your wife in thailand with your children? my son is with me in UK and wife is in Thailand so we pleaded our case for priority as its harmful for a 3 year old to be separated from his mother for a long period of time. (plus few other reasons but thats a long story).

Edited by Kadafi

To be honest, Kadafi, it is the other reasons, explained by you at length some time ago for any who care to look in your posting history so please don't go into them here, which would have swayed the decision to prioritise her application, not the separation of a few months.

Ralphsilver's case is entirely different as the 5 year plus separation of mother and children was his and his wife's choice. See this topic.

I really can not see why it takes so long to get an answer about a settlement visa they have the documents to hand they must be able to look at them and then decide if the visa is granted or not. I am sure that there is not too much difference between the granting of a family visit visa and a settlement visa apart form the big difference in price but I bet the decision making is not too different.

I was thinking the same thing. "Why so long" Do they do back ground checks? And some digging or do they just drag there feet just to justify the 800 quid they charge. I might be wrong but from what I have been told its only the English visas that take mths to arrive. I was talking to a guy who lives in Sweden or someplace like that and it only takes him a week to sort his visa out.

The answer is pure and simple, and has previously been explained in this topic.

Volume of applications.

If you look at the last 'results table' I produced you will see that applications in January were being processed in about 4 weeks; but as the year progressed and the number of applications increased so did the waiting time.

Once an application gets to the head of the queue the actual processing does not take very long; unless the ECO decides further checks or enquiries are needed in which case everything is put on hold until the results of same are received. But the ECOs can only process a certain number of applications each day; if more are coming in than going out then obviously the queue is going to get longer.

Visit visas are generally processed more quickly.

I believe this is because they are seen as more urgent. Most visitors have a fixed reason for visiting the UK at a fixed time and so need to have their visa before this time. Settlement applicants usually have no fixed date they need or want to enter the UK by; other than ASAP, of course.

So I think visit visas are given a higher priority so they can be processed more quickly than settlement applications. Personally I believe this to be the right thing to do; but I know others will disagree.

Why do they charge such a high fee? Because they can! Remember it is the government which sets the fees, not the UKBA.

I know nothing about Swedish immigration or visa application procedures, so cannot comment on that. Other than to say that maybe they have fewer applications, of all types, to deal with?

hardgrafter187 - you got any news yet, mate? I'm getting really frustrated now, as I'm sure you are too!

Anyone know, if someone applies for thier settlement visa before 9th July, but, applies for their ILR after October 2013 - will they be subject to a 2 year probation period, or a 5 year probation period?

Thanks guys,

thomp256

Edited by thomp256

If your application went in prior to the 9th July it will be under the old rules (2 years). If ILR is applied for after Oct 2013 the applicant will need to pass the LitUK test plus have a pass to B1 level in English from an approved college. As far as I am aware they have not published a list of suitable courses and there are rumblings that the test is going to be 'enhanced' ie more difficult!

I'm 9 days behind you thomp and I'm not to happy. I know they say 12 weeks but it really is not good enough.

May I ask what you think they should do?

For some reason the demand for UK visas in Thailand increases at this time of year, so as I said earlier the processing time will, too. You could argue that they should employ more staff; but do you really think that the government, any government, will do so when for a significant part of the year that means the office will be overstaffed? Employ temporary staff during busy periods? Where would these people come from? Would you want your wife's visa application judged by an inexperienced temp?

As you say, all the guidance issued by the UKBA says you should allow up to 12 weeks for a settlement application to be processed. So to be blunt, although I know from personal experience how frustrating the wait can be, until that period is up you really have no grounds for complaint.

Be patient, you are preparing for a lifetime together and I can assure you that looking back from a few years down the road this wait will seem like nothing.

• Like 1

I think they should work overtime like the rest of at busy periods. Lol. Saturday and Sunday included........... I'm not to sure what the answer is but I'm not liking being on this side the fence. Fingers crossed its not much longer.

Edited by 7by7
Unnecessary full quote of preceding post removed.

hardgrafter187 - you got any news yet, mate? I'm getting really frustrated now, as I'm sure you are too!

Anyone know, if someone applies for thier settlement visa before 9th July, but, applies for their ILR after October 2013 - will they be subject to a 2 year probation period, or a 5 year probation period?

Thanks guys,

thomp256Still no news yet Thomp panicking even though I feel my application is pretty strong.quite gutted you done yours on the same day as me now because If you get yours before me I will be bricking it big time I imagine you would feel the same mate. Another bad mistake I made was taking are 3 year old home with me after we submitted the application thinking that we would have a decision within a month to 6 weeks or so bearing in mind I stayed with her for 2 weeks after submitting to soften the wait a little bit. Cut a long story short really finding it hard to take care of the little one whilst working and it is killing my wife not being with her now as she has never been away from her since she was born.Let just hope for the best we both get them tomorow mate because it's getting a joke now.ThanksHargrafter

Long time reader, new poster.

You can add my wife and I to the list; We submitted 21/05 and are still waiting.

My wife is pregnant with twins and cannot fly after the end of next week. I'm back here in the UK working. We can deal with her staying out there for the birth and coming afterwards - as long as the visa application is successful that is!

Stressful times for all, my advice is to remain positive. Like 7by7 has said, you will look back on this as a short period in a long happy life.

Edited by JonnyReece

I see the processing time on the UK Embassy website states all settlement visa's in June were completed within 60 days. Is this 60 working days or Monday - Friday excluding bank holidays or 60 days in total including weekends ? Any ideas.

Just to let people know my wife collected her passport today and has been granted her settlement visa smile.png she will be back in the UK on saturday! so happy with the british embassy right now!

When did you submit the application kadafi? I thought it was July?

We submitted the application on Thursday 5th July and got the message that they had made a decision on Monday 23rd July.