Is The Internet In Thailand Broken?

pedro01

OK - I put this on another forum.

I'm with TOT, I have a 'VIP'/SME service. I'm in the Saphan Sung area of Bangkok.

My service is 3,500 a month and for that, they are supposed to give me a steady service for that - allocated bandwidth that is not interuppted when the kiddies come home.

For the past 3-4 weeks, the service has been terrible:

1648343646.png

170k to the US on the http://speedtest.adslthailand.com/ site

Most support staff on the 1100 line on TOT say "cannot guarantee international bandwidth" but a few acknowledge there is an issue, call a technician who then fixes it in the AM Thailand time before it reverts back to sub 500k.

I have a friend not far away in Ramkamheang getting way more bandwidth than me. I have friends in Chonburi getting a legit 10Mbps on the same test.

So - is this me? Do I need a new ISP? Are others having trouble?

I'm looking for info here. If this is TOT/area specific, at least I'll know what my options are. As it is, TOT support haven't really helped to define the issue.

Thanks

Pete

• Like 1

Your particular problem is more likely to be a local routing fault or some hardware issue than a lack of international bandwidth.

Check this by running the same test to servers in Thailand.

If the results are also poor (I suspect that they will be) then armed with this data you should have more success with the phone support people.

Although new to Thailand, I have already learnt that it is important to have multiple internet connections to cope with the inevitable outages in each source... you need a regular broadband connection, an air-card and an i-phone with 3G

On a 10MB line you should be getting at least 1.5MB international.

After almost 11 years here, with both 3BB and TOT it's been pretty clear that service can be slow and spotty in one area but fast and consistent the same service plan and ISP. Our resident geek Kuhn Woody has shown this with his internet speed reporting site. http://www.khunwoody.com/phuket-internet-speed/

Thailand is a patchwork of old lines and system each having weak points that the "technicians" can't often pinpoint. If after that long they still can't sort it out then you will need to change ISP's.

Thanks for the replies.

I should perhaps have mentioned that local speed tests get me about 6Mbps download speed. TOT have been fine here until about 4 weeks ago.

After a length call to TOT support last night, I now have this:

1648806859.png

This will no doubt be back down to 200 Kbps within 24 hours.

A local test shows this:

1648809282.png

It is as if some 'event' occurs and my allocation of international bandwidth is cut drastically. TOT have mentioned on a number of occasions that they 'see the problem' but they never tell me what it is they keep seeing.

Edited by pedro01

On Windows: tracert <ip address of speed test server> will show you a lot about where the weak link is.

On Linux, open terminal and run: traceroute <ip of speed test server>

Run several tests to various sites. You should be able to help figure out where the offending link is. You can pass the traces to your ISP, you might some one who will figure it out.

Best to give them traces when the connection is good and poor.

Edited by rakman

Welcome to the wonderful world of Thai isp's.Get used to it is my advice cheesy.gif

obviously you are getting ripped off and may be they know you have no other choice. oh well

To be honest I am with a different company, it has a 3 in the name, i never have a problem my friends who use tot and true seem to have nothing but headaches.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Thai isp's.Get used to it is my advice cheesy.gif

obviously you are getting ripped off and may be they know you have no other choice. oh well

To be honest I am with a different company, it has a 3 in the name, i never have a problem my friends who use tot and true seem to have nothing but headaches.

Quite a few of my neighbors switched to 3BB...It was great for a few months, now they are switching back. It's just a mess here.

Quite a few of my neighbors switched to 3BB...It was great for a few months, now they are switching back. It's just a mess here.

These guys all work together to provide a sucky service and I would not be surprise they are all part of the same group and they all depend on TOT. I am with true and last few days i am having a lot of problems too and they say everything should be ok. so hard to get them to admit they are having problem especially when a frang calls

Wow you are paying 3,500bt per month?? I pay 799bt/month with TRUE for 8mb download and 1mb upload. Speeds on http://speedtest.adslthailand.com/ are:

1649084689.png

Strange though because I get lower speeds to the Thailand servers?

Actual download speeds vary but downloading files from USA i get about 700kbps - 1.5mbps. So I would say no, the internet in Thailand is not broken, just dodgy connections and wiring in alot of places....

Edited by spindle

Wow you are paying 3,500bt per month?? I pay 799bt/month with TRUE for 8mb download and 1mb upload. Speeds on http://speedtest.adslthailand.com/ are:

1649084689.png

Actual download speeds vary but downloading files from USA i get about 700kbps - 1.5mbps. So I would say no, the internet in Thailand is not broken, just dodgy connections and wiring in alot of places....

... a bit broken

If you are getting under 100 msec ping times when testing from a US server, then you know your ISP is naughty and cheating. You are actually testing against a cached file on their own servers!

If the ping is over 200 msec, you're likely indeed testing from an overseas server...

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

Pedro, I live not far away from you on Ramkhamhaeng 164 and I also have TOT. I should have 10Mbps, but the maximum I get nowadays is 2 Mbps. Monday morning TOT was totally down and even their call center crashed, so it's certainly not an isolated case.

1649084689.png

That speedtest isn't showing speed to USA - that's a locally cached version of the file you are downloading. The ping time is too low.

I pay 3,500 because I want a consistent level of service. Retail internet packages usually suffer from slowdowns at peak times whereas the "SME/VIP" services don't.

Well - that's what they tell me, anyway...

I think everyone and their mothers know that TOT is the worst isp in thailand. I work online and would never consider having tot even if they paid me 10k per month.

True and 3bb are the only options. Im lucky and still have the 3bb premier 3mb which is a lot cheaper than the 5mb

That speedtest isn't showing speed to USA - that's a locally cached version of the file you are downloading. The ping time is too low.

A demonstration of that effect. The first speed test is to the US using my 3BB 9Mbps line without doing anything. The 2nd one is running the exact same test turning on my US VPN connection.

post-566-0-92862200-1336502269_thumb.jpg post-566-0-90049500-1336502276_thumb.jpg

A demonstration of that effect. The first speed test is to the US using my 3BB 9Mbps line without doing anything. The 2nd one is running the exact same test turning on my US VPN connection.

post-566-0-92862200-1336502269_thumb.jpg post-566-0-90049500-1336502276_thumb.jpg

dam_n - I'm almost weeping at seeing that!!!

What sort of speeds do you get at 9pm Bangkok time?

What sort of speeds do you get at 9pm Bangkok time?

Will have to wait until this evening to run again. My 3BB in Chiang Mai has been pretty consistent in speed and reliable over the 6+ months I've had it.

After I switched to 3BB I have a fast an reliable line here in Bangna area. I pay 600 baht up to 6mb , its never below 1.5 .

thats still bad

My 3bb 3mb premier gets 3mb at any hour in any country on any day.

My pings are always stable to the tune of 2-10ms fluxuation unless theres a killer storm.

3bb premier is great

Wow you are paying 3,500bt per month?? I pay 799bt/month with TRUE for 8mb download and 1mb upload

I think his "VIP" TOT service is the equivalent to 3BB's "Premier" service. I'm not sure if True has an equivalent level? It's a lower contention ratio and ISTR, some more direct routing to overseas trunk lines? The higher price is supposed to provide a more consistently high-speed connection throughout the day.

Wow you are paying 3,500bt per month?? I pay 799bt/month with TRUE for 8mb download and 1mb upload

I think his "VIP" TOT service is the equivalent to 3BB's "Premier" service. I'm not sure if True has an equivalent level? It's a lower contention ratio and ISTR, some more direct routing to overseas trunk lines? The higher price is supposed to provide a more consistently high-speed connection throughout the day.

That is what they say....

Well, that is what they used to say.

We've been on to them a few times. I just had a manager on to apologise and ask more questions. Right now it is consistent. The day starts off OK and then it degrades. The degradation is at different times but by 8pm, it is normally 200k or below.

When the manager called today, I asked exactly what I got for the extra money. They couldn't tell me what the difference was. In fact, so far no-one I spoke to at TOT seems to know what the difference between the VIP & regular service is.

I presume therefore, that there isn't any.

uggghhhh