Is The Internet In Thailand Broken?

pedro01

Our whole area was out most of Saturday and all day Sunday. I guess they are doing some major work from Chonburi to Sattahip. Could explain all the problems we've been having lately. Hopefully, it will improve the service!!

i'm on TRUE ADSL (Chatuchak area), my net's been erratic, started friday, completely no connection saturday and sunday morning,

my connection came back sunday afternoon when it rained :D

currently it connects for a few minutes then disconnects then reconnects again :(

This is an observation from Phuket.

At home and at the office, 4 different options.

( based on my observations last 2-3 weeks )

10Mbit TOT totally slow no matter what I do.

Streaming movies : not doable, using a newer Internet download manager and just download the .flv

Downloading torrents : doable but very slow, side effect is I cant use the internet for anything else, as I am throttled into the ground. As in cant even open a webpage.

Downloading from Microsoft.com - less than 100kB/sec

Playing WOW - low consistant ping of around 350ms

6Mbit TOT

Same as above.

10Mbit True ULTRA DOCSIS ( The cabletv type cable, not the telephone cable adsl version )

Usually fast enough for my use.

Can stream movies

Downloading torrents : usually up to full 10Mbit bandwith download, once files are cached on Trues backbone. Around 1200kB/sec download.

Usually around 1000+kB/sec download from microsoft website.

Wow usual ping is around 540ms

Backup internet is my AIS 3G 850Mhz

Usually works fine for all, however limited to 3GB/Month at full speed.

Edited by peterdk

• 2 months later...

Guys please help me out!?

I need to know what would be the best way to internet. I don't really need very high speed but i don't want to be disconnected a few times a day or a few times an hour.

I called my 3BB customer service to ask:

if I would pay the 2.900 a month for 20mbps / 4 mbps ex. VAT, will I be less disconnected? And do they cut off the 590B ex. VAT first when system gets over loaded?

This was not just some person, I asked for the best English speaker who knows a lot at the same time and they called me back.

But his answer was: No, you might still get disconnected it's just faster. But you can try it, higher speed might reconnect faster (doh smile.png ).

They also have 5mbps/11mbps for 2,500B a month (crazy?) for a special line if you use websites / services outside the country more but he don't know if that one is more stable.

I could try them all and switch every month...

Last option in my mind is just a big pad phone / computer with unlimited internet, maybe not fast but stable?

All i want is very less (or none) disconnections or very short,

Who can advise me? I not need proves just experience from someone please.

Have a nice day thumbsup.gif

What sort of speeds do you get at 9pm Bangkok time?

Will have to wait until this evening to run again. My 3BB in Chiang Mai has been pretty consistent in speed and reliable over the 6+ months I've had it.

Ok that's good but i also use it 6 + months in Chiang Mai.

It depends on what you use online but some don't notice short disconnections. I do and really look for something better with no disconnections even do it's just a few seconds some times. If I upgrade they say it will still happen but i can try it and can go back after i try 1 month.

I have TRUE and pay 699 Baht per month for 10mbps/1mbps Broadband(Cable Internet) in the Bang Na/Bearing area.

As much as you guys pay for 3BB you could get TRUE Broadband 50mbps/5mbps(2,700 Baht), But right now TRUE still hasn't setup broadband in some areas.

http://www3.truecorp..._speed_Internet link to the different packages(Ultra Hi-speed internet DOCSIS is broadband)

1740616101.png

1740626545.png

Edited by Caliguy

I have TRUE and pay 699 Baht per month for 10mbps/1mbps Broadband(Cable Internet) in the Bang Na/Bearing area.

As much as you guys pay for 3BB you could get TRUE Broadband 50mbps/5mbps(2,700 Baht), But right now TRUE still hasn't setup broadband in some areas.

http://www3.truecorp..._speed_Internet link to the different packages(Ultra Hi-speed internet DOCSIS is broadband)

1740616101.png

1740626545.png

Ok thank you, I think most people say True is better then 3BB. I have the 3BB cheapest pack 7mb now.

Cabel should be also better then the line/cabel from the house phone right?

I live in a appartment in the center of CM.. Should not be a big problem i hope.

http://speedtest.ookla.com/result/1740992206.png

I've got the 3BB 5/1M Premier now. Very reliable and gets the promised 5/1 to Singapore via VPN any time of the day. I checked with tracert after getting it and it looks like there's only two hops in Thailand. As a side effect Thai websites are sometimes sluggish, it's seemingly optimized for international bandwidth. Pricey though, I think it's around 2500b/month. I had True before, they started out good but within a year were totally unreliable.

Way more important that the speed is the connection reliability

http://www.connectionanalyzer.com/

I have True adsl 9/1 and it sucks all the time.

Info_Circle_Blue.png MSDL01: The download speed is too low for the latency/bandwidth of the connection

This means that download throughput has been recorded lower than the attainable speed for the connection being tested and this degradation is not accounted for by the latency of the connection. This indicates that the connection has data flow interference through congestion or regulation problems.

A high TCP Max Delay and/or a low Data Flow QoS will also confirm any occurrence of data flow quality problems.

Learn More

Info_Circle_Blue.png MSTR01: The data flow for this test is too erratic

Although the speed achieved may match expectation for the connection, a low data flow QoS score means that the data flow between the server and the workstation was not consistent. There can be several reasons for this such as data congestion along the route or data loss which invokes recovery. The lower the QoS percentage, the more erratic the data flow. Many applications can be severely affected by poor data flow quality regardless of data throughput speed, for example media applications such as video or voice may become jerky. Voice (VoIP) telephony will become garbled. If you suspect that the connection was in use by another application try running the test again to validate if the problem is persistent.

Learn More

Info_Circle_Blue.png MSMD01: TCP is waiting too long for data

The test recorded a TCP maximum delay that exceeded the natural TCP forced idle delay as a result of the connection's trip time. This indicates that there may be problems with consistent data flow between the server and the client. A poor data flow QoS reading is also likely if the max TCP delay is much higher in comparisons to the trip time. Common reasons for this type of problem are packet loss and duplicates. The test graph view will show the TCP delay over the time of the test. Height and width of the 'orange' delay line shows the delay consistency.

Learn More

Info_Circle_Blue.png MSTR02: The trip time for this connection is too erratic

The test recorded erratic trip times between server and client indicating congestion/regulation difficulties on the connection. Erratic trip times will usually cause problems with data duplication which will impact throughput speed. This usually results in a lower speed data flow quality measurement.

Learn More

Edited by Jayman