Three Killed Falling From Thailand's Highest Building During Billboard Installation

Lite Beer

BAYOKE TOWER II HORROR

Three killed falling from Thailand's highest building during billboard installation

24en76v.jpg

BANGKOK, May 7 - Three men were killed as they fell from the 68th floor of Thailand's tallest building, Baiyoke Tower II, as a cable supporting the platform carrying the workers installing the billboards parted.

The accident occurred when five billboard installation workers were on their platform alongside the exterior of the building. Three men dropped immediately after the cable supporting the platform tore apart.

The other two who grasped a handhold of the platform survived, but were seriously wounded.

The three victims crashed to their deaths at different levels of the building: the first to the 36th floor, the second to the 20th floor and the third to the 18th floor.

Ploenjit Kongudom, 30, one of the survivors, said he and his colleagues started installing the new printed advertising in the morning and took a lunch break.

Mr Ploenjit said the five workers then resumed their work in the afternoon from floor 81 to floor 68 when the platform broke. The three men standing in the middle of the platform plunged to their death.

He and his friend were able to reach out and grab the handhold in time and called for help from persons inside the building.

Mr Ploenjit admitted that none of them wore any protective sling or belt for their safety, although they did every time before working and did not inspect before the operation whether the platform was in good condition or not.

Baiyoke Tower II is the tallest building in Thailand, located on Rathaprarob Road in Bangkok. It has 88 floors and rises to a height of 304 metres. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-05-07

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Ploenjit admitted that none of them wore any protective sling or belt for their safety, although they did every time before working and did not inspect before the operation whether the platform was in good condition or not.

What a strange contradictory statement.

RIP to the workers involved..not as if this will change anything and the compensation payout will be laughable as always.

• Like 1

A typical response, I always wear safety harness but did not this time. The fact they all landed at difference levels suggests there was a strong wind blowing.

I see all the trillions of condos being built in Chiang Mai, and look, in vain, to see if the construction workers are wearing protective slings or even hard hats. And "scaffolding" is laughable.

Yes, RIP those poor guys. (I wonder how that 88-floor building would be in an earthquake?)

• Like 1

Let's not require any safety equipment. That would cost too much money and, anyway, workers are so cheap.

How many deaths will it take to make people understand that helmets, safety belts, decent shoes (boots), etc. can save lives. Does anybody care?

• Like 1

Let's not require any safety equipment. That would cost too much money and, anyway, workers are so cheap.

How many deaths will it take to make people understand that helmets, safety belts, decent shoes (boots), etc. can save lives. Does anybody care?

T I T

RIP those who fell to their death.

It may sound callous, but this being Thailand I hope I may be excused wai.gif

Breaking News - Breaking News

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said on Monday she has instructed the industry ministry to step up safety measures by inspecting all ... ...

I used to work on radio towers in my youth, 1500 footers, but we always used to say you are just as dead from 100 ft as from 1000 so it doesn't really matter that it was the tallest building around. The lack of precautions during high work was one the first things that struck me when I first came here. It just seems to be a cultural thing, safety is not a high priority throughout the whole society. " up to them".

• Like 1

We all understand that health and safety is not a high priority in this country. Three people lost their lives and two others were seriously injured in this incident. I believe it is completely inappropriate for anyone to make stupid or sarcastic comments. I have no idea if this or subsequent accidents will have any effect on the standards of safety in future but my heart goes out to the families of the workers who suffered in this incident. I also hope that compensation is not derisory.

Three die in 69-storey plunge from Thai skyscraper

Bangkok, May 7, 2012 (AFP) - Three men plunged to their deaths from the 69th floor of Thailand's tallest building Monday when the platform they were using to install advertising split after a supporting cable snapped, police said.

Two other workers were left clinging to the structure suspended high above the Bangkok streets in the accident at the Baiyoke tower on Monday afternoon.

"Three men fell to their deaths... while another two were rescued from the 68th storey -- probably one floor lower than where they had been working," police lieutenant colonel Thamarak Reungdit told AFP.

He said the two survivors suffered minor injuries and had been treated in hospital. The bodies of the victims were recovered from terraces on different storeys of the building.

"A forensic team will investigate how it happened and whether or not the platform was overloaded," he said.

The 304 metre (997 feet) Baiyoke tower is a distinctive feature of the Thai capital's skyline and houses a hotel on its uppermost floors.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-05-07

Some 4 years ago I was looking for a rope access course, the main one, (and only one really) is International Rope Access Trade Association, (IRATA) Could I find one in Thailand……..Had only one company here tell me they were getting it…….Soon, really! I had to go to Singapore.

I don’t know if they have an internationally accredited body, for working at height in Thailand yet……I don’t think so….Just crack downs!

RIP guys and commiserations to the families.

I almost always sit in the front seat of taxis so I can use a seat belt. I've never found the click component in back seats. I would say 70-80 of drivers do not use their seat belt unless they see police. The society does not much educate people about safety and corruption is rampant so why would they prioritize it?

Sorry for those dead, for no reason except not using the harness, assuming the harness works.

I used to work on radio towers in my youth, 1500 footers, but we always used to say you are just as dead from 100 ft as from 1000 so it doesn't really matter that it was the tallest building around. The lack of precautions during high work was one the first things that struck me when I first came here. It just seems to be a cultural thing, safety is not a high priority throughout the whole society. " up to them".

The cultural thing is called: Mai pen rai.

• Like 1

While in Chang Mai years ago i watched a crane lift and carry bundles of rebar over the streets and traffic for two days. Thought to myself that it looked dangerous!! Then one afternoon i was awoke to the sound of rebar crashing into the cement. Luckily the operator dropped it while lifting not while moving over the street. Amazing to think what 50 pieces of 20 ft rebar would do to you from sixty feet high.

The work at height regulations in UK were changed so the decision of am I to high was taken away. Now as soon as you feet are not on the ground consider you are working at height & take the appropriate precautions.

The option these people chose not to wear & not to check their equipment is common in many countries around the world. All because of the human factor & belief ‘’it will never happen to me’’ on this occasion as with many other industrial accidents it did. All because the workers did not follow procedures. Yes this also happens in the UK. follow the procedures assess your risks, mitigate against them put measures in place to prevent them happening, And the job should turn out fine & we all go home to our loved ones & cash in the pocket. The reason we all do it. Common sense costs nothing the choice is yours.

Out thoughts & prayers are with there families at this very difficult time.

Senior HSE Advisor,

• Like 1

It was a holiday today. They just did not think to much as their supervisors might have not been there to tell them to wear safety gear. For them it was just another day out with even more fun while nobody was around due to the holiday. They made their choices and at the end it didn't work out. R.I.P. guys!

• Like 1

It was a holiday today. They just did not think to much as their supervisors might have not been there to tell them to wear safety gear. For them it was just another day out with even more fun while nobody was around due to the holiday. They made their choices and at the end it didn't work out. R.I.P. guys!

I don't think it was an official holiday, just a substitution day for Saturday 5th and that for lots, but not all people. My barbershop was open a.o.

I used to work on radio towers in my youth, 1500 footers, but we always used to say you are just as dead from 100 ft as from 1000 so it doesn't really matter that it was the tallest building around.

You are just as dead, but you have a lot more time to recount your life on the way down.

I cannot imagine how or why someone would work at the height of the Baiyoke Tower without a safety harness.

RIP to the dead men.

We all understand that health and safety is not a high priority in this country. Three people lost their lives and two others were seriously injured in this incident. I believe it is completely inappropriate for anyone to make stupid or sarcastic comments. I have no idea if this or subsequent accidents will have any effect on the standards of safety in future but my heart goes out to the families of the workers who suffered in this incident. I also hope that compensation is not derisory.

+1...Good post.

At 120mph (terminal velocity, I believe) you would fall for a much longer time from 1000 ft than you would from 100 so, without sounding pedantic, it does matter, I wouldn't fancy screaming myself to death for any longer than necessary :(

• Like 1

Yes people care but you forgot that when you are not on TV you are in a different culture and they have different beliefs than you do,

You are so sure of your beliefs because that was what you grew up with. As well as others around you having beliefs a little different than yours.

The same here in Thailand the big difference is no body around them has other beliefs and yours are as foreign to them as there's are to you. I am sure there will be people who morn for them. But will feel that death is inevitable and let it go in time.

My condolences to the people who cared for them.

Good points, I'd never thought of it that way, still upsetting for all involved though surely, especially for those who either saw it happen or those who got a close-up view of the impact sad.png

Edited by MaiDong