PM Yingluck Pleads With Reporters To Stop Posing Questions On Cabinet Reshuffle

POLITICS

PM pleads, don't mention the Cabinet

The Nation

30181464-01_big.jpg

Yingluck

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has pleaded with reporters to stop posing questions on the Cabinet reshuffle, saying she wants to devote time to solving the people's grievances.

"Please, let me work, and I beg you to stop asking about the Cabinet," she said yesterday while having lunch with reporters on the sidelines of her market inspection in Pak Kret district, Nonthaburi.

Yingluck said her priority was to tackle rising prices, wryly adding that reporters tried to distract her attention by questioning her about the ministerial line-up while she was checking prices at Pak Kret Market.

Commenting about an opinion survey on the 10 least-known ministers, she said some Cabinet members had worked hard but failed to receive publicity.

She refused to say whether she would use the survey as a basis to change the Cabinet line-up.

Democrat Party deputy spokeswoman Mallika Boonmeetrakool said the prime minister should shuffle the Cabinet, particularly the Commerce, Energy and Finance portfolios.

"The government has failed to appoint capable individuals to handle economy-related ministries," she said.

Mallika said the government should heed and rectify its poor performance as rated by about 60 leading economists.

Democrat MP Thepthai Seanapong said the government was trying to manipulate legislative rules to avoid a censure debate.

Under the rules, the opposition cannot file a motion of no confidence during the present legislative session, so the government has been thwarting the grilling by postponing the recess, he said.

He said he suspected Yingluck would do everything possible to delay the censure debate for as long as possible.

"The only way for Yingluck to escape the censure debate is for her to exit the government," he said.

Former Thai Rak Thai member Vichit Plansrisakul said that as many as 70 of the 111 banned members of the defunct party would next month team up with the Pheu Thai Party upon the expiry of their political ban this month.

Vichit said he and his Thai Rak Thai colleagues would build and strengthen the ruling party. He also said the 111 had no demands about joining the Cabinet.

"There is no justification for worrying about the 111 taking Cabinet seats from incumbent ministers," he said.

Another former Thai Rak Thai member, Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, said she would not accept any political appointments at this juncture as she wanted to devote her attention to developing a Buddhist site in Nepal.

"This year I want to work for the birthplace of Lord Buddha and suspend my political activities," she said.

Sudarat said she would neither join the Cabinet nor contest the race for the position of Bangkok governor.

She said the 111 would assist the government in the areas of their expertise but would not accept ministerial portfolios.

She also said the 111 would work for Pheu Thai but did not seek to usurp control of the party.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-08

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has pleaded with reporters to stop posing questions on the Cabinet reshuffle

The Thai version of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

If the media don't ask questions, she won't tell answers.

If the media do ask questions, she won't tell answers.

Edited by Buchholz

Former Thai Rak Thai member Vichit Plansrisakul said that as many as 70 of the 111 banned members of the defunct party would next month team up with the Pheu Thai Party

or thereabouts...

:rolleyes:

it changes daily

Thai Rak Thai's Vichit Plangsrisakul said at least 50 of the 111 will join the ruling party and get involved in bolstering it as a first step on their return to the political scene.

30177914-01_big.jpg

Pheu Thai Party Deputy Spokesman Jirayu Huangsap (in the center) said yesterday that the Party expected 35 of the banned Thai Rak Thai MP's would join PTP.

Another former Thai Rak Thai member, Sudarat Keyuraphan, said she would not accept any political appointments at this juncture as she wanted to devote her attention to developing a Buddhist site in Nepal.

"This year I want to work for the birthplace of Lord Buddha and suspend my political activities," she said.

Too late...

rolleyes.gif

she already has been working her political activities this year... Lord Buddha can wait.

February 22, 2012

Several politicians from the ruling Pheu Thai Party, the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai party and members of the Shinawatra family reportedly visited their boss, Thaksin Shinawatra, in Beijing last week.

The fugitive ex-prime minister's guests included Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, banned ex-Thai Rak Thai politician Sudarat Keyuraphan and Bangkok MP Karun Hosakul, as well as Thaksin's sister Yaowapa Wongsawat and his son Panthongtae.

Their discussion was about how to win the battle at every level of election.

http://www.thaivisa....l/#entry5076538

February 8, 2012

The Cabinet has approved Pakdeeharn Himathongkham as deputy government spokesman, following the transfer of Anuttama Amornvivat to secretary of the Social Development and Human Security Minister, acting government spokeswoman Thitiman Chaisaeng said yesterday.

"It is a quota from the Bangkok group," Thitima said, referring to a faction within the Pheu Thai Party led by banned politician Sudarat Keyuraphan.

"The reasons for changing the deputy spokesman are Anuttama's lack of ability in explaining economic issues, and Sudarat's wish for Pakdeeharn to work on Bangkok related topics," a source from Pheu Thai party said.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5038247

No questions asked, no truth forced into the light.

The local English language press may or may not be buffoons, but making the 'powers that be' uncomfortable by asking well thought out questions, IS THE primary part of the job.

If they stop asking them, then they truly become buffoons, but not as much as Thaksin holding his "NO" sign to stop questions being asked... Making and having money, doesn't give you class or the ability to maintain equipoise while being questioned.

Edited by animatic

The problem is that she doesn't have a say in the coming Cabinet reshuffle.

Her brother is negotiating for her behind the schemes. Can you imagine that she would have to call her brother for every 'difficult' questions asked? Her phone bill would nearly bankrupt her. Also, the new Cabinet is not really important is it? What matters is that she can help the people! She actually went to a wet market the other day. Must have been the first time in her life.

Edited by KireB

The problem is that she doesn't have a say in the coming Cabinet reshuffle.

Her brother is negotiating for her behind the schemes. Can you imagine that she would have to call her brother for every 'difficult' questions asked? Her phone bill would nearly bankrupt her. Also, the new Cabinet is not really important is it? What matters is that she can help the people! She actually went to a wet market the other day. Must have been the first time in her life.

"behind the schemes"

Freudian slip.

• Like 2

In general Thai people hate being put on the spot, especially if they do NOT have a decent answer. Not being able to answer is losing face, feeling inferior.

This P.M. is a failure if she cannot be challenged, interviewed, debate with opposition, and for most part avoid parliament sessions.   Family - photo shots-party propaganda are the flavour of the month.

Again she told reporters she "WANTS TIME"

Hard to believe her priority is the people when all they work on is a way to bring Thaksin back. Actions speak louder than words. And the masses are starting to figure this out.

Since the masses want Thaksin back what's the big deal? I would imagine you meant to say Prem instead of masses right?

As much as I think the Thai media, particularly the English speaking media, are a bunch of incompetent buffoon's, isn't it their job to ask questions?

I agree with you, but sometimes there are irrelevant to the situation they are supposed to be reporting on at that particular time.

Also they do ask some bloody stupid questions. The one that sticks in my mind was a reporter in Oz stood outside a house that had just burnt down and asking the owner "How do you feel?" I personally felt like giving him a slap.

Yingluck said her priority was to tackle rising prices, wryly adding that reporters tried to distract her attention by questioning her about the ministerial line-up while she was checking prices at Pak Kret Market.

Isnt there another thread on here where she says prices are not rising?

Agree stupid off topic questions will always be asked, BUT the repeated avoidance and walk away arrogant attitude does not go down very well. As a P.M. you can satisfy most by having a reporters question time and answer all subjects. NOT to do shows weakness/or arrogance.

Why does the P.M. avoid all straight legitimate questions, and refuse debate and interviews, as I posted earlier. The answer now we all know after 8 months of government.

Hard to believe her priority is the people when all they work on is a way to bring Thaksin back. Actions speak louder than words. And the masses are starting to figure this out.

Since the masses want Thaksin back what's the big deal? I would imagine you meant to say Prem instead of masses right?

Some want him back for sure, but not the majority. It's just not that big of a deal to them. Unless they are getting paid to attend rallies. The majority want a better life and were hoping PTP was going to deliver that.

Some want him back for sure, but not the majority. It's just not that big of a deal to them. Unless they are getting paid to attend rallies. The majority want a better life and were hoping PTP was going to deliver that.

He or his family has won every election he ran in. Fair or not fair is a moot point. He won and your opinion of what the majority wants is not what has been shown in election after election. The only way the majority is defeated in Thailand is by coup. So man up and get ready because it is only a matter of time before the majority rules. Why Yingluck even talks to reporters is a mystery to me. No one has any real doubts about what's going on.

He or his family has won every election he ran in. Fair or not fair is a moot point. He won and your opinion of what the majority wants is not what has been shown in election after election. The only way the majority is defeated in Thailand is by coup. So man up and get ready because it is only a matter of time before the majority rules. Why Yingluck even talks to reporters is a mystery to me. No one has any real doubts about what's going on.

Fair or not fair is exactly the point in it.

And at the time of the coup he was not in power in democratic means according the 1997 constitution.

As he tried to change Thailand to a single party system (like East Germany, Cuba, Soviet...)

Fair or not fair is exactly the point in it.

And at the time of the coup he was not in power in democratic means according the 1997 constitution.

As he tried to change Thailand to a single party system (like East Germany, Cuba, Soviet...)

You got me there h90. I have no idea what you are talking about. Does the majority of Thais wanting him back in power reflect a general knowledge of what you are referring to and was it general knowledge at the time of the coup? I mean did it make the newspapers before the coup took place and was explained to the people that was why the coup was taking place?

My only point is Miss Y should not have to answer questions because the majority of Thais don't care. She should just tell them, "you think too much" and leave it at that. It's not like that would be the first time the reporters have heard that.

In general Thai people hate being put on the spot, especially if they do NOT have a decent answer. Not being able to answer is losing face, feeling inferior.

This P.M. is a failure if she cannot be challenged, interviewed, debate with opposition, and for most part avoid parliament sessions. Family - photo shots-party propaganda are the flavour of the month.

and now, as per the other paper's article, it's apparently back once again to tears and red eyes for Yingluck crying.gif during her discovery tour of how the rest of Thailand that aren't billionaires live....

because people are upset with her for her telling them they only "misconceived" the reality of price increases.

Bring out the tissues again

:rolleyes:

I am checking food prices - personally. This is probably in the top ten of all the lamest excuses I have heard over the last three quarters of a century. She could have sent out an army of gofers to do that for her. The sheep that think that she is a fit person to lead any sort of Government might take heart that she is doing something to help them but nobody with an ounce of common sense would. Just like her brother she thinks that she needs to be 'hands on'. No corporate manager would think that way since that relegates them to being mere supervisors. Does she think that her messengers would come back and lie to her afraid to be the bearer of bad news? Is it that she cannot think of delegating because her underlings cannot be trusted?

It is part of the democratic concept that the Fourth Estate and her political opponents ask her questions on behalf of all the people of Thailand - and to get answers and then check them out. It seems that the PTP and their camp followers do not understand this. I fear that under the covers a storm is brewing and I hope that I am not around when it breaks.

No questions asked, no truth forced into the light.

The local English language press may or may not be buffoons, but making the 'powers that be' uncomfortable by asking well thought out questions, IS THE primary part of the job.

If they stop asking them, then they truly become buffoons, but not as much as Thaksin holding his "NO" sign to stop questions being asked... Making and having money, doesn't give you class or the ability to maintain equipoise while being questioned.

+1...Good post.

Surely it's the media's job to ask questions on important issues that effect the country like a new cabinet line-up? Perhaps it is a veiled threat of withdrawal of advertising revenues by PT linked businesses, a glorious democratic technique of her brother when he was in power in his own name.

He hasn't got a majority vote in every election he's run in, and in the last election people would have voted for PTP for plenty of other reasons than bringing him back.

It's pointless reporters posing questions to which the recipient has no answers … not, at least, until her boss approves them.

But it was noteworthy that Yingluck sees her priority as addressing the non-existent problem of rising prices.

This P.M. is a failure if she cannot be challenged, interviewed, debate with opposition, and for most part avoid parliament sessions. Family - photo shots-party propaganda are the flavour of the month.

and now, as per the other paper's article, it's apparently back once again to tears and red eyes for Yingluck crying.gif during her discovery tour of how the rest of Thailand that aren't billionaires live....

because people are upset with her for her telling them they only "misconceived" the reality of price increases.

Bring out the tissues again

rolleyes.gif

Wrong topic.

I am checking food prices - personally. This is probably in the top ten of all the lamest excuses I have heard over the last three quarters of a century. She could have sent out an army of gofers to do that for her. The sheep that think that she is a fit person to lead any sort of Government might take heart that she is doing something to help them but nobody with an ounce of common sense would. Just like her brother she thinks that she needs to be 'hands on'. No corporate manager would think that way since that relegates them to being mere supervisors. Does she think that her messengers would come back and lie to her afraid to be the bearer of bad news? Is it that she cannot think of delegating because her underlings cannot be trusted?

It is part of the democratic concept that the Fourth Estate and her political opponents ask her questions on behalf of all the people of Thailand - and to get answers and then check them out. It seems that the PTP and their camp followers do not understand this. I fear that under the covers a storm is brewing and I hope that I am not around when it breaks.

Wrong thread.