Education In Thailand Getting Too Expensive, Parents Say

webfact

Education getting too expensive, parents say

Hathairat Sangkhasila

The Nation

30181470-01_big.jpg

A week to go, and parents take their children out for backtoschool shopping at Fashion Island. School shoes are on top of many lists. The new academic year opens next week. By Chularat Saengpassa

BANGKOK: -- In addition to the rising price of everyday goods, parents are now complaining about education costs being much higher. Many say the government's much-heralded free 15-year compulsory education scheme virtually doesn't exist.

Apart from having to foot higher fees and other expenses, parents are still allegedly required to pay "tea money" to get their children into prestigious schools.

Anya-orn Phanichphuengrat, chairwoman of Family Media Watch, said the so-called 15-years of free education was not really free. Parents still had to pay extra for supplementary classes, extra English-language courses and even fees for air-conditioning.

"Parents have no choice but to find extra money before schools reopen for the new semester [in a week's time]," she said.

A parent, who asked not to be named, said she spent nearly Bt40,000 to get her child into Grade 7 at a well-known demonstration school. The money was allegedly for regular school supplies and uniforms, as well as other things such as lunch and life insurance. "All I got back from the government was Bt3,900," she said.

Uniforms alone cost around Bt5,000, she said, adding that the Bt360 government subsidy for uniforms was only considered a "discount" by most vendors.

The government's subsidy for uniforms is Bt300 for pre-school level, Bt360 for primary, Bt450 for lower secondary and Bt500 for upper secondary levels, while school supplies are subsidised at a rate of Bt200 for pre-school level, Bt390 for primary, Bt420 lower secondary and Bt460 for upper secondary.

The woman added that schools held "charity events" throughout the year during which parents were "expected to cooperate" with requests for donations.

She explained that even some staff members could not afford to send their children to the school despite being granted employee discounts.

Kijwiphat Phoolsombat, whose two children are due to enrol at Ramkhamhaeng Demonstration School, said while the admission cost was Bt35,000, this was worthwhile because it ensured a bright future for them. He explained that though the government subsidy would be useful for poor parents, the amount offered was not enough to cover the cost of uniforms and school supplies for his children.

Jirapha Anantrojwong said she had not paid that much for her son, a Grade 11 student at Triam Udom School, as it was a state school. However, she admitted she had to spend extra on tutorial classes, which were necessary for students to pass university entrance exams.

Sunantha Pholphote, whose son is at Assumption College, said she could afford the Bt70,000 fees per semester, adding that she wanted her son to become fluent in English language. And while the subsidy was low, she said it would be useful for needy parents.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-08

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live down south, so well away from Bangkok, but even here, where the average wage would be say 12K per month many children in school (the lucky ones anyway) attend English, Maths, Mandarin and Art is also seen as being top priority. The extra education for these kids is at least 5000 per month and that does not include the 'extra tuition' after school that takes place in the school and costs 3000 per term. Why does a school that should be teaching children everything during the school day then extend its day until 5pm and almost force, via peer pressure the kids into attending. I point blank refused to have a 4 year old in school from 7.50am until 5pm, it is utter madness. I am told it is done to pay teachers salaries!

• Like 1

Having studied BA at Chula, I can only confirm that tuition fees are high, and probably to high when compared to income etc. Luckily I come from a country where the government actually do support you, even when studying abroad.

And then another plus is that books, stationary etc. is very cheap in Thailand.

Having studied BA at Chula, I can only confirm that tuition fees are high, and probably to high when compared to income etc. Luckily I come from a country where the government actually do support you, even when studying abroad.

Ain't the only thing that's "cheap" in this country mate ; )

I live down south, so well away from Bangkok, but even here, where the average wage would be say 12K per month many children in school (the lucky ones anyway) attend English, Maths, Mandarin and Art is also seen as being top priority. The extra education for these kids is at least 5000 per month and that does not include the 'extra tuition' after school that takes place in the school and costs 3000 per term. Why does a school that should be teaching children everything during the school day then extend its day until 5pm and almost force, via peer pressure the kids into attending. I point blank refused to have a 4 year old in school from 7.50am until 5pm, it is utter madness. I am told it is done to pay teachers salaries!

In many cases it is to provide the teacher with a livable salary.

They sure aren't getting it from the Pheu Thai election-promised15,000 baht per month for university graduates. :ermm:

Government officials are all the same around the world,... they stink and want to enrich themselves with the people's tax money that they use to enjoy their lives at the cost of ours.

"The school fees are not expensive, it's just your imagination"

Most Education institutes in Thailand are a rip-off ...

Why are the parents complaining about admission costs/'tea money'? The highly esteemed education minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej (PT) recently claimed that the public should accept this form of donation. It will only benefit the students, cause all these bribes are being used to better the education standards! And isn't that what the parents want? Also, the price of text books will be a lot lower this year, with all the kids getting tablet pc's!

Uniforms alone cost around Bt5,000? Must be Chula student shopping for mini skirt and tight blouse at Siam Square. I believe lots of post on this already.

I went to Tesco last Sunday. School uniform cost between 100 to 300 Baht max. Some at a discount below 100 Baht. I couldn't resist and bought 3 pairs of canvas student school, size 44, for 79 Baht each. White, Black and Brown. Don't believe me. Check it out yourselves. or if you are lazy see the ads in Tesco Thailand web site. http://www.tesco.co.th/promotion.php?lang=en

Why are the parents complaining about admission costs/'tea money'? The highly esteemed education minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej (PT) recently claimed that the public should accept this form of donation. It will only benefit the students, cause all these bribes are being used to better the education standards! And isn't that what the parents want? Also, the price of text books will be a lot lower this year, with all the kids getting tablet pc's!

The problem as I see it, is that it's only improving education of those wealthy enough to pay. The poorer their scores, the more money they pay - of course every parent wants their kids in one of these prestigious schools - smart or or slow they get to network with kids from other wealthy families. I've yet to see a school here that accepts students based purely on merit. The government should be ashamed of itself to allow government schools to accept donations, thus widening the gap between the rich and the poor. I'm not against donations, but it should be done anonymously, with no tie to getting their kids into such schools.

School is not only FREE in Thailand for a FULL 12 YEARS.

Yingluck governmant also provide FREE books, (tablet on the way), cash for uniform, cash for education equipments.

What else do Thai people want? Get paid for going to school?

Ain't the only thing that's "cheap" in this country mate ; )

Very true, but many of the other things are not very school related (although they can be more educating) :)

And according to Chula, and the piece of paper you have to sign, most non curricular activities are bad and immoral :)

Yingluck governmant also provide FREE books, (tablet on the way), cash for uniform, cash for education equipments.

Why not? It sure makes it more appealing to be a student if you get paid :)

You're asking for problems here! The PT might use this in their next election campaign.

Vote for us and you will get paid for going to school!

Reelection guaranteed!biggrin.png

Uniforms alone cost around Bt5,000? Must be Chula student shopping for mini skirt and tight blouse at Siam Square. I believe lots of post on this already. http://www.thaivisa....udent-uniforms/

I went to Tesco last Sunday. School uniform cost between 100 to 300 Baht max. Some at a discount below 100 Baht. I couldn't resist and bought 3 pairs of canvas student school, size 44, for 79 Baht each. White, Black and Brown. Don't believe me. Check it out yourselves. or if you are lazy see the ads in Tesco Thailand web site. http://www.tesco.co....ion.php?lang=en

Guess your kids will be going to school dressed ONLY in shoes!!

"The school fees are not expensive, it's just your imagination"

Most Education institutes in Thailand are a rip-off ...

As Sunantha will soon discover

Sunantha Pholphote, whose son is at Assumption College, said she could afford the Bt70,000 fees per semester, adding that she wanted her son to become fluent in English language.

Uniforms alone cost around Bt5,000? Must be Chula student shopping for mini skirt and tight blouse at Siam Square. I believe lots of post on this already. http://www.thaivisa....udent-uniforms/

I went to Tesco last Sunday. School uniform cost between 100 to 300 Baht max. Some at a discount below 100 Baht. I couldn't resist and bought 3 pairs of canvas student school, size 44, for 79 Baht each. White, Black and Brown. Don't believe me. Check it out yourselves. or if you are lazy see the ads in Tesco Thailand web site. http://www.tesco.co....ion.php?lang=en

Guess your kids will be going to school dressed ONLY in shoes!!

I think he means he has bought them for himself. Strange but true! What a natty dresser.

In my opinion, these complaints have less to do with prices per se than the continued exploitation of the captive market (except for the elite 1%) and the poor academic value available therein.

Bottom LIne : Its the software (i.e. education methodology), stupid: the hardware (i.e. facilities) are generally good enough.

FYI: Malaysia has implemented a scheme for experienced Western-educated teachers to help re-train local teachers.

You're asking for problems here! The PT might use this in their next election campaign.

Graduation guaranteed...Doh! They already have that.

It's just that some schools are more free than others and I think that is the point.

As for the cash for uniforms; the amount involved covers a single school uniform. It does not include scout or guide uniform / PE uniform and spares (students go through socks v quickly as they take their shoes off constantly ). And let be honest you need more than one set of uniform - after all you wouldn't wear the same clothes to work every day of every week for a year. would you?

My daughters uniform costs for this academic year are as follows

Skirt (x 3) 750 baht

Top (x3) 600 baht

Belt (x1) 120 baht

Socks (x12) 300 baht

Shoes (x1) 300 baht

Sports shoes (x1) 100 baht

PE Trousers (x1) 300 baht - must have school logo on (school direct)

PE To (x1) 250 baht - must have school logo on (school direct)

Guide uniform inc hat - 650 baht

Books [including school notebooks] with school logo on front (from school directly) 750 baht

Embroidery of school uniform - 80 baht

School bag (with logo) 400 baht - although cheaper were available (250 baht)

Grand total 4300 (not including government subsidy - 350 baht)

I won't include the 'voluntary registration fee', even though she has been at the same school for 4 years!!

Yep school is FREE

Seriously, thank you very much for a very current "price check on aisle 3" as I've not been pricing them yet this year.

It's easy to see, however, that the prices of the individual items have gone up quite a bit from last year.

Also last year, the family got a voucher that paid for most of the above (eg. not the school logo book bag and writing notebooks) school uniform items to the point that they were essentially free (came to around 2,000 baht).

This year, for the same student, it looks like they'll get a whopping....

Bt360 for primary students

:ermm:

I totally agree, my

The problem as I see it, is that it's only improving education of those wealthy enough to pay. The poorer their scores, the more money they pay - of course every parent wants their kids in one of these prestigious schools - smart or or slow they get to network with kids from other wealthy families. I've yet to see a school here that accepts students based purely on merit. The government should be ashamed of itself to allow government schools to accept donations, thus widening the gap between the rich and the poor. I'm not against donations, but it should be done anonymously, with no tie to getting their kids into such schools.

I also remember a teacher from one of the big uni's saying a few years back how he was told to give an automatic pass to anyone that was a monk. education here is a joke and the Thai parents never cease to amaze me the way they try to force the kids to spend all day at school in the expectation of improved results, yet they pamper their spoiled brats and do nothing to instil any discipline.

And how many good students simply give up because they see the richer kids buying their passes? I have heard a number of students complaining, whats the point in working when others can just buy their qualifications. Employers only end up with useless staff who have all the right qualifications but have little or no idea what they are doing... which would seem to be the case with many Thai lawmakers who are required to have a degree. Stop the corruption in schools (pass marks) and the country will benefit dramatically.

That's actually how they do it in Norway. You apply for funding through the government. Its actually a free loan. But if you graduate, parts of the loan will become a scholarship or stipend :)

A problem with Thai culture is the Thais tendency to view – among others – school owners, officials and teachers – and no doubt the education minister – as worthy of more respect than is often justified. The education minister is a clown – and one probably with shares in schools – so cannot be relied upon to do his job efficiently – or even at all.

Schools are a business; a business that sells an often overpriced and inferior product. Parents are customers, an essential element without which no business, no matter what it would like to have us believe, can survive. What is needed is for the parents – enough of them – to come together and refuse to pay tea money, or any excess fees, to the school. What do they suppose the school would do in the face of parent power and a popular uprising? Kick out 90 percent of its students just as the term was about to start? I don't think so. They may not capitulate, but they would certainly have to negotiate.

As for the parent who was told that the money she paid bought, among other things, life assurance, should be asking why her child – any child – should need life assurance. There was a time, many years ago, when the law in the UK forbid certain types of life assurance for minors. For good reason … though I don't, for a moment, suggest anything untoward here, other than an excuse to charge yet higher tea … sorry, fees.

And were the education standard here even halfway competent, there would be little need for tutorial classes in passing university entrance exams.

• Like 1

I totally agree, my

I also remember a teacher from one of the big uni's saying a few years back how he was told to give an automatic pass to anyone that was a monk. education here is a joke and the Thai parents never cease to amaze me the way they try to force the kids to spend all day at school in the expectation of improved results, yet they pamper their spoiled brats and do nothing to instil any discipline.

And how many good students simply give up because they see the richer kids buying their passes? I have heard a number of students complaining, whats the point in working when others can just buy their qualifications. Employers only end up with useless staff who have all the right qualifications but have little or no idea what they are doing... which would seem to be the case with many Thai lawmakers who are required to have a degree. Stop the corruption in schools (pass marks) and the country will benefit dramatically.

Very true. I have employed Thais with paper qualifications coming out of their ears - but unfortunately, very little between them.

• Like 1