S2 Upgraded To 4.0.3

Yesterday I connected my S2 to my PC and it upgraded to 4.0.3

I guess everyone here in Thailand has got it now.

Care to share improvements or changes that I might have missed?

The new method of opening the phone via face recognition is fun but having to look at my ugly mug each time's a bit depressing!

I see on the web that there's a method of auto spell checking as you type but I cannot see how to activate it. Anyone know if this is possible or how to activate?

The phone does seem generally a bit more zippy.

Anything else I should look out for?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ummm, multi-tasking. ;)

There are already quite a few threads on this subject, it will be challenging to track them all.

Can you share:

Model: i9100 or i9100T

Baseband version: i9100NNNNX

Service provider: TrueMove H, DTAC/Happy, AIS-One-2-Call

3G performance: excellent, good, OK, bad

Voice quality: excellent, good, OK, bad (delay, far-end echo, clarity)

GPS lock: fast, medium, slow

I just checked my i9100T and it says no updates available - still on 2.3.6

If you checked via OTA (in phone settings) it is not available yet. Plug your phone in via USB and load Kies, that will show you the upgrade.

Edited by Glock3am

I just checked my i9100T and it says no updates available - still on 2.3.6

If you checked via OTA (in phone settings) it is not available yet. Plug your phone in via USB and load Kies, that will show you the upgrade.

Hey thanks, you are correct I tried phone settings before. With Kies it upgraded to 4.0.3.

Hey thanks, you are correct I tried phone settings before. With Kies it upgraded to 4.0.3.

Glad to help! I just upgraded to 4.0.3 tonight myself. I am really enjoying the new features already and so far I haven't run into any incompatibilities with my apps so it is a great improvement!

Now I can only hope the battery life is the same or better as I have read mixed reports on the internet...ermm.gif

Still going strong here, it is an amazing update IMO, the phone is lightning fast in transitions between menus/apps. I have been tracking threads on another tech forum I am in where there are people with all sorts of issues: photos don't auto-rotate in the gallery, Swype doesn't work, and a host of other issues with battery life and connectivity. It is very strange how it varies so much, I didn't lose any settings or data, battery life seems the same, if not improved, and the few apps that had an issue were usually fixed after an uninstall/reinstall... perhaps they needed to "detect" ICS when they installed or something.

The stock email client is much better now (particularly the widget), all Google apps such as Gmail and Maps are improved on ICS as you would expect as well. I am also not having an issue I had before where I would randomly get the "no signal" icon (circle with cross through it like a "No Smoking" sign), which always required a restart to get my data going again.

I also had an issue before where people tried to call me and it told them I was not in service, I haven't experienced it again yet, though I chalked up this and the connection issue above to a possible error on DTAC's part but we will have to see in time.

lomatopo, sorry I didn't see your post before:

Model: i9100

Baseband version: i9100DXLP9

Service provider: DTAC

3G performance: excellent (I am in Bangkok metro area most of the time but still get 3G access in major rural areas as well)

Voice quality: excellent (so far, occasionally had the "echo" bug before but not lately)

GPS lock: medium (same as before really... not that fast but it seems good enough, I don't have anything to measure it against though)

Edited by Glock3am

Based on this Forum topic I also upgraded my Samsung Galaxy SII to ICS.

Indeed, it needs Kies and a PC to do so, but then very easy and straight forward.

However, a lot of applications have disappeared, some free, some paid for. I used to have a complete list of all My Apps in the PlayShop, however, this list is not complete anymore. I had to search for all my favorite apps and reinstall them. Luckily, though, I didn't have to pay again.

After some setup and installing, the phone works well and fast. But I haven't found any difference to Android 2.3, except perhaps marginally faster.

But maybe I still need to discover the new features of ICS. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I upgraded a family member's SGS2/I9100 to 4.0.3 yesterday.

I chose not to use KiES or Air KiES as a lot of people seem to have issues, including soft bricking (aka; claying).

I used the CheckFusDownloader to locate and download the official Samsung file (essentially the one KiES downloads).

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1032437

It was easy to find the correct file for Thailand using the Check Fus UI; the file also has a THL in the name and presumably a date of April 30, 2012. After extraction I used ODIN (1.85) to flash this onto the phone which I had set into Download mode (I have a jig, but power, volume down and home do the same thing). (edited to add: There is also a {different} file for the I9100T, dated 04262012, with several version available for NZ, OZ, Israel and Thailand.)

Upon re-boot the phone re-built all the apps. Everything seems to be working fine: all apps and data are present and functioning. The UI seems to be about 300% faster, almost too fast! The owner is impressed.

Service provider: DTAC/Happy

3G performance: based on one single location, and one speed test, perhaps not as good as the GB modem? So 4/3 vs. 8/3 before flashing/

Voice quality: seems much improved based on a few calls

GPS lock: TBD, didn't test. GPS lock before was pretty amazing, like less than 10 seconds for 7 or more satellites so hopefully this will not be an issue

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

I upgraded a family member's SGS2/I9100 to 4.0.3 yesterday.

I chose not to use KiES or Air KiES as a lot of people seem to have issues, including soft bricking (aka; claying).

I used the CheckFusDownloader to locate and download the official Samsung file (essentially the one KiES downloads).

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1032437

It was easy to find the correct file for Thailand using the Check Fus UI; the file also has a THL in the name and presumably a date of April 30, 2012. After extraction I used ODIN (1.85) to flash this onto the phone which I had set into Download mode (I have a jig, but power, volume down and home do the same thing). (edited to add: There is also a {different} file for the I9100T, dated 04262012, with several version available for NZ, OZ, Israel and Thailand.)

Upon re-boot the phone re-built all the apps. Everything seems to be working fine: all apps and data are present and functioning. The UI seems to be about 300% faster, almost too fast! The owner is impressed.

Service provider: DTAC/Happy

3G performance: based on one single location, and one speed test, perhaps not as good as the GB modem? So 4/3 vs. 8/3 before flashing/

Voice quality: seems much improved based on a few calls

GPS lock: TBD, didn't test. GPS lock before was pretty amazing, like less than 10 seconds for 7 or more satellites so hopefully this will not be an issue

is it advisable to run the upgrade again with the "correct" file?

I upgraded to 4.0.3 using KIES. My phone is not rooted (S2)

Thanks

is it advisable to run the upgrade again with the "correct" file?

I upgraded to 4.0.3 using KIES. My phone is not rooted (S2)

Thanks

Why? If you upgraded using KiES then the correct file was used. Color me confused.

FWIW, the phone I upgraded was not rooted, remains un-rooted, and does not display the yellow triangle/exclamation mark. It is box stock.

Edited by lomatopo

I would say that the phone (S2) runs faster and that the battery life is marginally better.

My only issue is that the Bluetooth interrupts the stream when listening to internet radio or music (same problem I had with the boring iPhone)

is there any way to roll back just the Bluetooth software as the previous version was perfect?

Based on this Forum topic I also upgraded my Samsung Galaxy SII to ICS.

Indeed, it needs Kies and a PC to do so, but then very easy and straight forward.

However, a lot of applications have disappeared, some free, some paid for. I used to have a complete list of all My Apps in the PlayShop, however, this list is not complete anymore. I had to search for all my favorite apps and reinstall them. Luckily, though, I didn't have to pay again.

After some setup and installing, the phone works well and fast. But I haven't found any difference to Android 2.3, except perhaps marginally faster.

But maybe I still need to discover the new features of ICS. Can someone point me in the right direction?

This is a great document for showing the changes and helping you find your way around: http://www.sammobile...de-Ver-6.0.pptx

As for the new features, there are too many numerous little improvements to mention IMO, but the main ones I can think of are:

• Snappier transition animations throughout.
  • The default font is easier to read and more visually appealing IMO (though I wish they would replace that awful Cookie one with something more interesting lol).
  • The ability to run ICS native apps (in particular the Google apps are much better: Maps, Gmail ,etc.)
  • The stock email client and widget have been improved, clear highlighting of different inboxes in the widget with the ability to switch between individual inboxes on the fly. In the settings there are some nice little UI additions such as having the choice to go back to the inbox after deleting an email rather than on to the previous email... which is something I hate (are you listening Hotmail? ;P)
  • Battery life seems a tonne better, I am averaging 3-5 hours more than before.
  • The reboot button is handy and booting/shutting down in is faster overall.
  • No reoccurence of the dropped mobile data connection issue I had regularly on GB (a restart was required to re-enable mobile data, cycling airplane mode didn't help)
  • I love the new "recent apps" menu with the thumbnails.
  • The storage menu is improved, showing what is taking up space rather than just the raw figures as before.
  • Applications now have the option of being "disabled", so if you want to stop the useless (for me anyway) Samsung Hubs from taking up memory, you can. This is the closest you can get to root-like "freeze" powers without rooting.
  • Much better notifications, emails show subject headers/content (before it just stated "x unread messages"), apps add extra info to the messages, etc.
  • Improved lock screens and the call answer/reject buttons are easier to swipe... they are multidirectional now rather than horizontal and require less of a swipe so you can answer calls more quickly.
  • Many great little changes in the settings menu.
  • Simply more logical menu layouts all over the place. I didn't think I would like the text only menus versus the old ones with the icons but I can see now that they offer the ability to include more content vertically without blocking the screen as much horizontally.
  • Plus many more little things!

Phew!

Edited by Glock3am

My s2 purchased new from thailand has never been able to connect to Kies. I've installed kies on several computers and they all day my phone is not compatible. I have updated the kies from Thai Samsung site but no fix. I will try and do the upgrade manually with the link provided. I'm running stock 2.3.6 with cf root.

My s2 purchased new from thailand has never been able to connect to Kies. I've installed kies on several computers and they all day my phone is not compatible. I have updated the kies from Thai Samsung site but no fix. I will try and do the upgrade manually with the link provided. I'm running stock 2.3.6 with cf root.

This sounds like a USB driver issue, or maybe I am misunderstanding? Does Windows recognize your phone when you attach the USB cable? Does KiES recognize your phone?

I might start over, uninstall the USB drivers and KiES, re-boot, then reinstall and update KiES.

i lifted a SGS2 demo model in the official samsung shop today

it was STILL running on android 2.3.3.

lazy tossers cant even be bothered to update their own demo phone to ICS 4.0 so customers can see

what it looks like .......:D

This sounds like a USB driver issue, or maybe I am misunderstanding? Does Windows recognize your phone when you attach the USB cable? Does KiES recognize your phone?

I might start over, uninstall the USB drivers and KiES, re-boot, then reinstall and update KiES.

The drivers have been freshly installed on several different computers. I can run odin just fine. Kies sees the phone but reports it as am unsupported device. The issue has been widely reported and i myself have posted to Samsung and as well on cds but no solutions have been found other than don't use kies. So far i have seen no reason to use kies other than update firmware which seems can be done without kies.

Some of the working recommended solutions have been to try and diff USB cable, computer, or USB port. I have tried out all and them just gave up.

The drivers have been freshly installed on several different computers. I can run odin just fine. Kies sees the phone but reports it as am unsupported device. The issue has been widely reported and i myself have posted to Samsung and as well on cds but no solutions have been found other than don't use kies. So far i have seen no reason to use kies other than update firmware which seems can be done without kies.

Some of the working recommended solutions have been to try and diff USB cable, computer, or USB port. I have tried out all and them just gave up.

OK, I guess it would have helped if you had shared all that detail? ;) I just re-read your post, what is CF-root? Perhaps this alters your phone such that KiES does not recognize it?

If your phone, when in download mode, is recognized by ODIN then your cable/drivers are working satisfactorily. IMO, this may be a safer way to upgrade.

Edited by lomatopo

OK, I guess it would have helped if you had shared all that detail? wink.png I just re-read your post, what is CF-root? Perhaps this alters your phone such that KiES does not recognize it?

If your phone, when in download mode, is recognized by ODIN then your cable/drivers are working satisfactorily. IMO, this may be a safer way to upgrade.

Fact is that I have had the issue from day one taking the phone out of the box. I have posted here in other places so forgive me if I din't give the whole run down again here. So far no answer has been found and I honestly don't care about keis if I have another option to get the stock roms.

I have been tryin got use the Check Fus downloader but I keep getting an error trying to download the rom it finds for my gt-i9100t. I have posted in the proper xda forum as well as emailed the logs to the developer but still have not received any responses.

Does anyone here have a diff location where I can find the latest ics rom (stock) for my 9100t?

CF root os Chain Fire root. He is a developer on XDA that has created many rooted kernels that you can load over stock rom to gain root but keep everything else stock other that a few additions like super uses and his own CWM app.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1103399

Edited by Jayman

CF root os Chain Fire root. He is a developer on XDA that has created many rooted kernels that you can load over stock rom to gain root

My best guess is that this CF Root modification changed your phone such that it is no longer recognized by KiES. Perhaps you can undo this modification?

Be aware that if you use the official Samsung upgrade, even by flashing in Odin, your phone will emerge un-rooted. It can of course be re-rooted, perhaps with some undesirable results: yellow triangle.

ICS now available for Galaxy Note in Thailand. Downloading at this moment.

Hmm, I just connected to Kies and my G. Note was updating the software but no ICS? Still 2.3.6

I will try again and see what happens. No updates its says, can you tell me how you did it, thanks

ICS now available for Galaxy Note in Thailand. Downloading at this moment.

Hmm, I just connected to Kies and my G. Note was updating the software but no ICS? Still 2.3.6

I will try again and see what happens. No updates its says, can you tell me how you did it, thanks

The Note ICS upgrade for Thailand just popped up (although it is dated May 14) over the past day or so as I just checked on this yesterday.

This is Android 4.0.3, I can tell form the DXLP9.

post-9615-0-63731300-1337652684_thumb.jp

The Kies (and all other MTP) problems in winXP is usually solved by re-installing the MTP drivers.

They are part of the setup for WMP11.

In your windows directory

rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wudfrd.sys xxx_wudfrd.sys

rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wudfpf.sys xxx_wudfpf.sys

rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfhost.exe xxx_wudfhost.exe

rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfsvc.dll xxx_wudfsvc.dll

rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfx.dll xxx_wudfx.dll

rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfplatform.dll xxx_wudfplatform.dll

rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfcoinstaller.dll xxx_wudfcoinstaller.dll

Then run this file UMDF.exe

www.mediafire.com/?2ak0f9n985ql00h

Edited by TommoPhysicist

ICS V 4.03 downloaded and installed on the Note, have not had time to go through everything but initial impression is that it has a more 'vanilla' ICS feel than the S2 upgrade. Once thing I have not seen is the so called Premier Suite of new programs they were talking about.