Mushroom Farming

Ray,

you should rethink that labor number smile.png

first of all, you will need only around 2700 bags/month ( on your current 16000 x2)...

that is calculating 6 days work week, 300thb a day?

would require producing only around 100 bags a day.

so, i would think your weekly wage wouldnt run that high, as you wouldnt need to produce 24 days a month those bags to cover your supply.

alternatively, say your worker should be able to produce 300 bags a day, would only need less than 1/2 your calculated wage.

on the other hand:

i would be vary about the quality expectations, especially in the beginning, with not having extensive experience. where we buy, it seems to have about 5% waste, i am sure if i were to make, i would expect to have about 3x at the start. that number sure to improve gradually.

oh, and of course, we 'talked' about more frequent rotating of the bags, to even out production. every 6 month just not maximizing your potential earning, especially if a worker is involved, and also if there is enough buyers to sell to.

i came to think that ideally every 3 months should see new bags, ideally every months changing part, but keeping no bags longer than 3 months...ok, maybe 4 months, but that is top. by then if they are good enough should cover investment + 30-50% profit on the money...just not economical to leave the bags 2 more month to take up the place, in hope to squeeze out another 10-15% max...

sorry for the long post, just a few thoughts.

Well I wanted others thoughts, so that was perfect. An odd position now. To much in theory for one person and not enough for two. With the labor market arounf Udon you would be hard pressed to find part time work.

But by breaking the need to 100 bags a day. I believe the brother with a llittle organazation could do that

Marketing that much remains a big if, for that volume

We plan on five months at best for rotation after that you are really just waisting water.

The Col. has been a great help giving me a clear picture of making the bags. That is where I would try to learn if I should go forward. I has told us about a premix we can buy, Thta would more then likely runs up to 6 baht.

Here is where the real problem is for us, getting them when we need them. We were supposed to get a delivery in Nov. didn't happen stiill hasn't happened. Now set for Jan 3. The guy produces the best mushrooms we have gotten thus far.

Empty houses don't make money

We bouhgt 1K from a different local guy and that was all that he could supply, Even with the Jan delievery if it happens we will still need another 2K on Nong Faa in Feb, We can buy from othre producers. But, the reality is their product is not very good.

Then we will begin ordering Khon Khao,

The farm was given to my wifes brother, He is a one man operation, with occassional help from me when I'm bored.

I will try to present the idea to him if he can find time to make 100 a day. We have been thinking 1000's . Breaking it down the way you did, seems to make it more of a possibility

Thanks

there you go! :)

even if it cost him 6thb a bag using the premix you mentioned, vs. the 8thb a bag you pay now, it is considerable proposal already...

also there is the added benefit of not depending on another maker to time your replacements.

this later one was a problem for us in the past too, and probably will be in future as well, you cant just order and expect it be ready unfortunately, often it is week/s if not a month away from the planned date. one can only hope they get your time right.

It's time to dig back throuhg this thread and see what I need to do to change thinbgs around so he can do his own.

Our changed in watering worked but, not enough to make a difference. We did a light mist three times day. Now we will try no water for three days.

Less may be best LOL

One thing for sure the spores are still in there, a warm up in the weather would proabably help a lot..

Ray,

One bottle of grain spawn can be used to spawn up to 100 pasteurized substrate bags.

We do not buy the fully colonized bottles because they must be used up as soon as possible otherwise the grains will stick together.

After fully colonized the grain spawn bottle should be shaken one day before and again before using it.

We can store the fully colonized grain spawn bottles in refrigerator. If the grain stick together and too hard to shake we can use a long screw driver wiped with alcohol to break apart the grain.

The flame of a lighter or an alcohol lamp will be used to burn the bottle neck and mouth to get rid mold or other spore that we don't need them to drop into our pasteurized substrate bag.

soqc.jpg

Photo credit: http://www.jrfarm108.com/index.php?lite=article&qid=584974

• Like 2

Thanks Col. that clears up a lot. Using the methid you suggested we could do a 960 a week 160 a day, 4 hrs 2 hours heat time heat time two batches That would fill one set of our shelving, as long as we can lay them on their sides.

That explains the lighter that really threw me.

We have storage tanks already for water, the brother didn't listen close enough, actually three of them. So that is an easy change to make. Using the mister set up easy enough, that is carried on our back puts out a very fine mist water on the ground again easy enough. already have a seperate pump we can use for that.

We have taken the chlorine out of the water for fish holding tanks for some time now. The product we use clears he chlorine in baout 45 mins, So we are actually already sit up for it. Maybe I better start making those phone calls instead of the brother selective hearing (laughter) Sometimes I will take over the watering from him for a few days. sounds like it might be time again. We have 2200 liters of declorinated water just sitting ther right now

So we are actually pretty close to getting started, in time for Khon Khao I think.T I recehceked the math your right 32.000 at 8 baht 256.000. At 6 baht would it be 192,000. 64,000 a year. But more importantly gettign them when thy aer needed

Man we have never seen prodution like that. That is simply beautiful

• Like 2

Ray,

The premixed substrate is very good for mushroom grower who start to make his own substrate bags because it eliminates the problem from poor nutrient additive.
There are two different formulas.
KAT301 is the premixed substrate for Nang Fa, Jew's Ear, Pink Oyster and Abalone.
KAT305 is for Khon Khao, Khon Dam, Hed Lom, Yanangi, Lingzhi, Shiitake and Lion's Mane.

The base material is rubber tree sawdust supplemented with wheat bran, rice bran, enzyme starch, brewer’s spent grain, ground soybean pulp okara, dolomite, phosphate rock, etc.

The experienced mushroom grower prefers to mix his own substrate because it is cheaper.

Premixed substrate by Anon Biotech (http://www.anonbiotec.com/anon301_305.html).

nkzu.jpg

vd6j.jpg

vq0s.jpg

More photos.

• Like 1

Premixed substrate by Anon Biotech (http://www.anonbiote...on301_305.html) (Continued)

The rubber tree sawdust is mixed with wheat bran, rice bran, enzyme starch, brewer’s spent grain, ground soybean pulp okara, dolomite, phosphate rock and others.
Then water with BioOne (a group of selected microorganisms) is spayed to increase the raw material moisture up to 45 to 47% and start composing the substrate.

30u8.jpg

To prevent heat accumulation, the substrate is piled up in formation that the heat can be released easily.

kfek.jpg

• Like 1

Premixed substrate by Anon Biotech (http://www.anonbiote...on301_305.html) (Continued)

Packing

dv4q.jpg

r3qr.jpg

Prof. Dr. Anon Auetragul and his premixed substrate for exporting to Taiwan.

w0tt.jpg

Mushroom Development in Thailand

Mushroom cultivation in Thailand had been practiced since time immemorial like Bean mushroom(Coprinus fimentarius) cultivation in the Northern region,

Straw mushroom cultivation (Volvariella volvacea) in the Central region and Fan Mushroom(Schizophylum commune) cultivation in the Southern region.

But the using new technology in producing mushroom pure culture and spawn was started in 1946 by Prof.Dr. Karn Jaranavicharn

who has been honored by Thai as “Great Guru for Mushroom in Thailand” .

More story...

http://www.anonbiotec.com/eng/mushroom_development.html

Edited by Packdee
  • Like 1

Well no matter what I said I couldn't get the brother to use the Cols advice. we went for o to1 kilos days to 16 kilos a day in five days. How did that happen I took over and did what the Col, siad. Sometimes it's just easier to do it yuorself then trying to get someone to understand. That being said it's still ride season and I'm going

They say seeing is believing we shall see.

Looks lonely doens't it

100_7486-Copy-Copy_zps82dc3b95.jpg

This is our first oven. Brother wanted to use wood, so we did a trial run kept a fire going for five hours. The water inside kept boiling for about 30 Mins after the fire went out. We will do three more of these two to cook with each while letting the others cool. When they cool we will add the spores, Haven't set that up yet.

Hoping to do a 160 a day using these,

I wonder if fours hours on the fire would be enough?

Got to crawl before you can walk. That would be sufficient fot 1,000 a week

Edited by ray23

Me too, the idea is you heat water to point of steam pasturize the subtrate before adding spores. The you got about a 60 day wait before you can use them. So in the bottom of the barrel is a small amount of water.

The method I posted before required four hours of fire. Using gas would require two hours of steam. So cutting the difference to three hours was what I was hoping for.

for.

This will be our first try, So it will be a learning experience,

We added 2K more of Nong Faa excellent supply this time producing in three days. We arw running 16 Kilos day now, that sure feels good v compared to 0 product days. Have another 2K of Nong Faa coming next month. We will try to produce our own Khon Kao after that.