Meat Hygeine

oldsailor35

I find it extraordinary that the people who criticise hygiene standards in Thailand regarding food, are likely the same people who have grown obese eating awful processed rubbish in the west for decades without caring two hoots how it was made, so long as it came in a brightly coloured plastic wrapper or with an upsize combo offer attached.

Have none of you read Fast Food Nation?

Ignorance is bliss bendix ,surely you of all people should know that :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never really understood the effect of hanging meat..what does it do? Think duck/geese are also hung?

I eat the killed that day beef from the market but usually a couple of days in the fridge first...tastes pretty good to me ..never did like the steaks which cut like butter ...especially that from Hawaii..has no ...something?.

Just me.... I like rough red wine and cheap scotch.

re the OP....think he would hate to see the life cycle of that meat before it gets handled by that fat chick with grubby hands

I think that a bigger danger is the veggies that have been sprayed?

Son visited me from Dubai couple of years back ..would not consider eating anything that had been not film wrapped on a Styrofoam tray....lol

As soon as an animal dies the natural enzymes in the meat begin to break down the connective tissue.

thx for that....interesting...so..? anyways don't give ff as to hygiene in LOS ....get sick ...throw up ...wife says if it has flies no chemicals..I go with that..remember in Canada was feeding our boys with fish and loads of maggots therein...SafeWay said 'sorry here is some more"..always thought one should wait for worms to enter warm gut before gutting fish.....wife is expert fish gutter..does it via the gills no gut cutting like our western process..clever little lady....

.....unless one has some immune deficiency think most food is okay?

thx for that....interesting...so..? anyways don't give ff as to hygiene in LOS ....get sick ...throw up ...wife says if it has flies no chemicals..I go with that..remember in Canada was feeding our boys with fish and loads of maggots therein...SafeWay said 'sorry here is some more"..always thought one should wait for worms to enter warm gut before gutting fish.....wife is expert fish gutter..does it via the gills no gut cutting like our western process..clever little lady....

.....unless one has some immune deficiency think most food is okay?

Could you possibly take a deep breath and re-write that in a way that doesnt give me a headache reading it?

There's a good chap.

• Like 1

we're saying such an extreme level of hygienic sterility is over-the-moon crazy unnecessary and actually unhealthy because it prevents the immune system from receiving the stress it needs to get and remain strong.

It's very good for you to get the occasional booger or sheep's dags in your food.

You've got that completely wrong. It's not about health. Big corporations don't care about your health or immune system. They care about their bank balance.

Let's suppose you go into Burger King in Silom Road. Let's suppose you find a cockroach in your burger. You'd probably laugh it off. You'd probably say "mai pen rai".

Hey -- let's be honest -- a few bugs are good for the immune system!

But if the same thing happened in NYC, you'd smile and think ........... I've just hit the jackpot. And then you'd pick up the phone and call your lawyer.

-------------------------------------------------------

I eat everywhere and anywhere. But if the "lawsuit culture" that plagues farangland ever makes its way into Thailand, all of those road-side stalls will be closed down overnight.

Westerners have been brought up in germ/dust etc. free homes (comparatively) and are now realising that they have gone OTT - as asthma/allergies etc. are on the rise.

When I used to come here on holidays most times I would end up with a nasty stomach bug - BUT, now that my 'system' is used to it, I haven't had the same thing happen in years.

Admittedly, it makes me ill looking at the meat in markets as flies are all over the food, but I think Tescos etc. are far worse. Their raw meat has obviously been frozen and then thawing out before sale!

Edit - not to mention the smell sick.gif .

Edited by F1fanatic

It's only an issue because those of us who are born into a Western society are not used to the germs and bacteria that are in Thailand. I think the main problem is, we spend so much time and effort worrying about germs in our home countries that our body has no immune system to fight off these germs should we come into contact with them. That's why so many tourists and foreigners get sick off the food and water and whatnot.

I see on a regular day to day basis meat and other foods being handled in such a way that you wouldn't dream of in my home country and sometimes it does weird me out a little but I'm still alive afterwards. Of course I've have the dreaded case of food poisoning and whatnot but I think it's down to our body's immune system not being strong enough to fight off germs and bacteria which enter our bodies.

This is true. I was raised on haggis and black pudding.

Being a poor family of course we couldn't afford a cooker or even some wood for a fire so we used to eat them raw.

Of course this wasn't too much of a hardship if supplemented by foraging for worms from time to time. So many happy memories.

Now I never get sick. Ever.

You're making that up; haggis and black pudding are luxury items, so you weren't poor..... I bet you even washed them down with Irn-Bru, you plutocrat
  • Like 1

It's only an issue because those of us who are born into a Western society are not used to the germs and bacteria that are in Thailand. I think the main problem is, we spend so much time and effort worrying about germs in our home countries that our body has no immune system to fight off these germs should we come into contact with them. That's why so many tourists and foreigners get sick off the food and water and whatnot.

I see on a regular day to day basis meat and other foods being handled in such a way that you wouldn't dream of in my home country and sometimes it does weird me out a little but I'm still alive afterwards. Of course I've have the dreaded case of food poisoning and whatnot but I think it's down to our body's immune system not being strong enough to fight off germs and bacteria which enter our bodies.

Being a poor family of course we couldn't afford a cooker or even some wood for a fire so we used to eat them raw.

Of course this wasn't too much of a hardship if supplemented by foraging for worms from time to time. So many happy memories.

You're making that up; haggis and black pudding are luxury items, so you weren't poor..... I bet you even washed them down with Irn-Bru, you plutocrat

Its as poor as it gets in Marchmont. Back to your slum you vagrant!

Its as poor as it gets in Marchmont. Back to your slum you vagrant!

Whit? Marchmont? Fur coat and nae knickers.....

I was in Macro Sukhumvit a couple of days ago. There were 4 Thai women checking out the salmon fillets. Every one of them patted and prodded every piece with their bare hands before deciding which one they wanted. I'd already bought a piece from the same batch, so god knows how many hands had handled it before I bought it. I would at least like to see sneeze covers placed over the open meat, fish and poultry displays.

I was in Macro Sukhumvit a couple of days ago. There were 4 Thai women checking out the salmon fillets. Every one of them patted and prodded every piece with their bare hands before deciding which one they wanted. I'd already bought a piece from the same batch, so god knows how many hands had handled it before I bought it. I would at least like to see sneeze covers placed over the open meat, fish and poultry displays.

However, if you consider that most of the world's population will have similar or worse standards than LOS, it hasn't stopped the world's population expanding at an ever increasing rate.

Westerners have been brought up in germ/dust etc. free homes (comparatively) and are now realising that they have gone OTT - as asthma/allergies etc. are on the rise.

When I used to come here on holidays most times I would end up with a nasty stomach bug - BUT, now that my 'system' is used to it, I haven't had the same thing happen in years.

I agree 100%. there is a groundswell of opinion that agrees with you and thinks that the rise of Asthma is linked to the 'hygiene' issue that F1fanatic mentions.

But, I have grown used to most of the things that Thailand throws at me but ...

Did a visa run to Cambodia 2 years ago and came back with something that made feel like I was dying.

But ... I suppose in the old idiom that says ... what does kill you makes you stronger.

I gave the salmon at villa a sniff today and did not buy.

I will do the same thing next time i get a craving for salmon.

I also do it with every piece of seafood i buy.

i do not apologize for ensuring my fish is fresh.

i think the far greater crime is unnecessary packaging, especially on vegetables.

Edited by nocturn