Meat Hygeine

oldsailor35

Went into Macro Koh Samui yesterday to buy a joint of pork, but was put off.

Despite the availability of plastic bags, plastic gloves and tongs, there were a couple of Thais 'hooking' around in the meat cabinet with their bare hands, wiping them on their trousers etc., scratching their backsides and heads.

They just cannot help themselves. Its about time that Macro put up big signs saying "DO NOT HANDLE MEAT WITH YOUR BARE HANDS" these people need to be educated as they seem to have no idea what they are spreading around. It was the same with the chicken and prawns, they just have to 'paw' through everything even though all the portions are just about exactly the same. Will these filthy habits ever cease.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Macro Sukhumvit a couple of days ago. There were 4 Thai women checking out the salmon fillets. Every one of them patted and prodded every piece with their bare hands before deciding which one they wanted. I'd already bought a piece from the same batch, so god knows how many hands had handled it before I bought it. I would at least like to see sneeze covers placed over the open meat, fish and poultry displays.

the hands don't matter much...

Macro close to us (might be Rama 9, but not sure on that) have small birds inside that sit down on the minced meat take a little leave, come again, shit a little bit on the meat...

And Thais who seem to own restaurants buy that spiced up meat sick.gif

I was in Macro Sukhumvit a couple of days ago. There were 4 Thai women checking out the salmon fillets. Every one of them patted and prodded every piece with their bare hands before deciding which one they wanted. I'd already bought a piece from the same batch, so god knows how many hands had handled it before I bought it. I would at least like to see sneeze covers placed over the open meat, fish and poultry displays.

Sneeze covers are fine, but it's the boogers on the fingernails that you need to worry about. sad.png

It is not just Makro...same problem with Tesco, Carrefour and Big C.

I thought the foreign JV partners in these outfits were supposed to bring in some level of expertise (like how to display and sell meat/fresh food hygienically) so as a minimum some signage or even supervision by a staff? No point blaming the Thais, because that's how they do it in the markets. But these foreign companies who come here ought to know better. Or is it a case of local standards at European prices?

• Like 1

. Or is it a case of local standards at European prices?

Yes

This is Thailand ,People will take a shit and then make your sandwich

but hey,at least its cheaper .......thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

And you're still alive! rolleyes.gif

ive seen thais squeezing every loaf of bread on the shelf before choosing one ,or maybe then deciding not to purchase

and walking off having given the bread a good handling

this is probably worse ,because bread doesnt get cooked before its eaten so any bacteria on their hands will be transfered

straight into your mouth sick.gif

i would be more concerned for them handling raw meat and not washing there hands afterwards.

them touching the meat is the least of your worries have you seen a slaughter house here meat is not exactly clean and bacteria free until cooked is it

Edited by dazk

ive seen thais squeezing every loaf of bread on the shelf before choosing one ,or maybe then deciding not to purchase

this is probably worse ,because bread doesnt get cooked before its eaten so any bacteria on their hands will be transfered

Hopefully the people squeezing the bread had not already handled the meat and fish.

Agree with this, but, we are still alive so it can't be that dangerous. You ever wondered how the products are beeing handled before they are in the view of the customers? rolleyes.gif

Hopefully the people squeezing the bread had not already handled the meat and fish.

in my local big c you must pass the meat fish and dairy products before you get to the bakery at the back .......:(

in my local big c you must pass the meat fish and dairy products before you get to the bakery at the back .......sad.png

Maybe you have to do a sniff test on the bread before purchasing it. biggrin.png

Good job you don't go to Rannong, they sit in the meat with a fag in there mouths with rats running around.people pick up what they want and disregard the rest.This is Thailand, get use to it. maybe us westerners are to sterile for our own good.

The markets are also another source to consider when purchasing meat. I used to think meat in Thailand was black until they whacked it with a stick and the flies flew off.

• Like 1

they sit in the meat

Just a new (cheap) way of tenderizing the meat. laugh.png In the old days they put the meat under the saddle of the horse.

Now it is put under the mattres?

I rather prefer the meat tenderized on the mattress. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Of course they have, thats the Thai pleasure of shopping, squeeze, poke,prod handle and smell everything wether buying or not, just watch them buying or looking at fish...........straight to their nose !

Its a Thai habit which needs to be educated out of them.