sante

I finally made it to Chiang Mai after selling and giving away almost

all my stuff but I think that ordeal plus the long flights over here

from California (5 planes, 5 immigration searches, and over 40 hours

in airports and in the air) has weakened my immune system. I can't

stop sneezing and coughing. The Thai woman who sells fruit juice

across from my place says colds are a common complaint during this

change of season. Does anyone have any suggested remedies, maybe

effective cold medicine? And where can I buy it?

Thanks

I caught a cold off some local chick. Look for the sterile clinical looking shops with clear glass fronts, a little lady in a white lab jacket and a sign with green writing.

Loads of them about and most speak a bit of English.

I got her some anti biotics and strepsils. The next day I head it even worse!

Hope this helps.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

^ Errr right. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, visit a pharmacy, get something that relieves common cold symptoms. Something that has antihistamine, decongestant, pain/fever relief in one tab. Like Tiffy-Dey, McXY-Cold, etc. Or paracetamol & Actifed/Sudafed.

Then take a lot of rest, drink a lot of fluids-other-than-beer, and generally stay cool and take it easy. wink.png

pmc0007.jpgt-McXY%20Cold_mpTh10.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Wow! 5 planes, 5 immigration searches, and over 40 hours in airports and in the air... From Cali? How is all of that even possible? From here to DC its normally 3 planes and only 30 hours total.. Never been searched by immigration (nor customs).

Anyway, I recommend going to local pharmacy (easily recognizable by a sign out front reading "ยา") and pick up some loratadine for the sneezing. This is similar to Claritin in the US and a some Fisherman's Friend cough drops for the cough. At this point all you can really do is treating the symptoms of the cold. The combination of these two should help you to get thru it, without the drowsy-ness, etc. Which will also allow you to go out, enjoy some nightlife, and partake in a healthy regiment of SangSom Therapy.

However, if you are not worried about drowsiness, the you could as for Decolgen plus. That stuff is super great for a cold, but will knock you out for hours.. It comes in a red paper packet with 4 tablets inside. English on one-side and Thai on the other. It looks similar to this:

http://www.live-ever...te-decolgen.jpg

But will have the word "plus" on the end.

-Mestizo

Edited by Mestizo

If your immune system is normal, your body will take care of a common cold. It may take a few days, but I'm sure you have encountered this phenomenon before. smile.png

Edited by Semper

WinnieTheKhwai is spot on in recommending Tiffy. Whenever I get a cold in Chiang Mai, I take a couple of Tiffy tablets and drink lots and lots of water and it's usually better in no time.

I've been flying from California (SFO) the last 8+ years and have never had more than 3 planes (SFO-TPE, TPE-BKK, BKK-CMX). Where were you coming from... Hope you got a great deal for the airline ticket because 5 planes sounds like 2 too many.

Anyway, Welcome to Chiang Mai and get better soon:-)

• Like 1

Wow! 5 planes, 5 immigration searches, and over 40 hours in airports and in the air... From Cali? How is all of that even possible?

Buttfuc_kistan, CA -> SFO (Or Sacramento) -> LAX -> Narita -> Bangkok -> Chiang Mai

Easy. (Like from Redding, Eureka, etc.)

From here to DC its normally 3 planes and only 40 hours total.. Never been searched by immigration (nor customs).

.. and therefore, nobody ever gets searched by customs or the TSA. wink.png

will also allow you to go out, enjoy some nightlife, and partake in a healthy regiment of SangSom Therapy.

Agreed. Sang Som Therapy is the best.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

WinnieTheKhwai is spot on in recommending Tiffy. Whenever I get a cold in Chiang Mai, I take a couple of Tiffy tablets and drink lots and lots of water and it's usually better in no time.

Yes I guess he is. And the keywords are "relieves the symptons", I.E. you feel better but it doesn't cure you. You might as well drink beer or alcohol in moderate doses and you'll feel fine. smile.png

Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking for Tiffy. Can I buy it at the local 7-11 or do I have to find a pharmacy? I'm staying in the CMU area.

As far as the 5 planes--I lived in San Luis Obispo, which on the coast between LA & SF, so took a small plane to SFO, and then on to Taipei, then to Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Hmm, guess that's only 4--well, it felt like 5. But there were 5 immigration searches. I couldn't give up my computers so traveled with several laptops and although I had hoped the netbooks would escape the need for removal from my luggage they didn't so at every immigration point I had to dig them out of my overpacked bags and then try to stuff everything back inside. Am very relieved that ordeal is over.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking for Tiffy. Can I buy it at the local 7-11 or do I have to find a pharmacy? I'm staying in the CMU area.

As far as the 5 planes--I lived in San Luis Obispo, which on the coast between LA & SF, so took a small plane to SFO, and then on to Taipei, then to Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Hmm, guess that's only 4--well, it felt like 5. But there were 5 immigration searches. I couldn't give up my computers so traveled with several laptops and although I had hoped the netbooks would escape the need for removal from my luggage they didn't so at every immigration point I had to dig them out of my overpacked bags and then try to stuff everything back inside. Am very relieved that ordeal is over.

FYI, those are standard airport security checkpoints (operated by TSA in the US) and nothing to do with immigration. Immigration is where you hand your passport over the counter to be stamped, etc.

The other possible search point is customs. This is the area when you are leaving the airport after retrieving your baggage and had them a customs declaration form. I think maybe 1 time out every 20, I'm asked to let them scan one of my suitcases.. Never been searched, however.

-Mestizo

.. and therefore, nobody ever gets searched by customs or the TSA. wink.png

He said "IMMIGRATION SEARCHES". The TSA is not immigration. Immigration is staffed by INS agents. TSA handles airport security. Two COMPLETELY separate agencies.

Being searched by an INS agent would be highly improbable and to have it happen 5 times in one trip would be indicative of something very crazy going on. I'd be highly concerned about that.

Being searched by TSA is normal. That is their job.

Technically Customs and Immigration fall under the same agency now (ICE). But even being searched by Customs officials 5 times in one trip would be super strange.

-Mestizo

• Like 1

If it doesn't get better quickly go to a hospital and get some real antibiotics.

I used to laugh at the Thai wife - every time she had a cold she'd run and get antibiotics. That's not how we do things back home - never in my life have I taken antibiotics for common cold symptoms. But.. I've come around to her view, 'cause whatever is going around over here is not the good old common cold as it is back home. It's much nastier. Being not used to the bugs over here, you'll get some infection or other quick, and you need to take care of it or it just gets worse, and worse, and worse... (I've tried a few times, hard to learn...)

It's not just me either - had friends over from Germany, they both got a sore throat. So they do what I'd have done back home too: Rest, and wait for it to go away. Well. A week later they were both at the doctor's with severe infections.

Different country, different rules. Still not sure what it is - more bacteria here, or ones that we're not used to?

• Like 1

If it doesn't get better quickly go to a hospital and get some real antibiotics.

I used to laugh at the Thai wife - every time she had a cold she'd run and get antibiotics. That's not how we do things back home - never in my life have I taken antibiotics for common cold symptoms. But.. I've come around to her view, 'cause whatever is going around over here is not the good old common cold as it is back home. It's much nastier. Being not used to the bugs over here, you'll get some infection or other quick, and you need to take care of it or it just gets worse, and worse, and worse... (I've tried a few times, hard to learn...)

It's not just me either - had friends over from Germany, they both got a sore throat. So they do what I'd have done back home too: Rest, and wait for it to go away. Well. A week later they were both at the doctor's with severe infections.

Different country, different rules. Still not sure what it is - more bacteria here, or ones that we're not used to?

I have to agree. I don't believe in taking antibiotics for a common cold either and never have, that is until I moved here. I always hold out for days but in the end have given in to the mentality of going to the pharmacy to buy antibiotics or else the cold will linger on for 2 weeks or more and usually morph into a sinus infection, sore throat, severe cough and fever, etc. I usually only had a cold once every 3 years when I lived in the USA and Europe. Here I get 5 or more a year. I don't know what it is either but some of the bugs in Asia are very nasty!

For relief of symptoms. Actifed works best for me. Of course under the new law, they are impossible to get now!

Edited by elektrified

It's all to do with the large number of missing pills from government hospitals recently. A lot of the common cold medicines that were available over the counter contain ingredients used for making Ya Ice.

Since then pills containing the ingredient have been made prescription only. Pharmacies and other outlets were given 30 days to hand their stocks back to the supplier.

I know in our area drug company sales reps have been visiting pharmacies and taking any medicine they supplied containing the ingredient off the shelves. I believe the police and health department officials are currently conducting inspections to ensure the pills are no longer held or for sale.

sante,

As mentioned by 'pimping' most pharmacists here speak English. In my limited experience (don't get colds here, it seems), they are prescribing pharmacists when compared to those in the U.S. Your neighborhood should have a number of them. Ask. Rest.

Since alcohol is dehydrating, you should know that booze is the cure for everything among some of us here, and take their advice with a grain of salt and lots of water and juice.

Also, as a newcomer, you'll notice that many of us felt that we ought, while you're ill, to teach you the details about airport searches explicitly. By and large, questions should be shaped to deny us any opportunity to change the subject. That is, I'm giving even more advice than you need - something inside us, I'm afraid.whistling.gif

PS, planes are cold spreading containers. Whenever I see 'code-sharing' partners I think of conspiring cold-sharers.biggrin.png

• Like 2

Anyway, visit a pharmacy, get something that relieves common cold symptoms. Something that has antihistamine, decongestant, pain/fever relief in one tab. Like Tiffy-Dey, McXY-Cold, etc. Or paracetamol & Actifed/Sudafed.

Not sure how well that will work now legally for Tiffy/Actified as they have been pulled and require prescription via hospital AFAIK.

BANGKOK, 30 April 2012 (NNT) - The Drug Stores Club of Thailand announced yesterday that all of its affiliated drug stores have completed the recall of pseudoephedrine-based cold medicine.

During the Drug Stores Club of Thailand’s annual meeting held yesterday at Impact Arena, president of the club, Kritchapoj Thananuprawat, said that since pseudoephedrine-containing pills have been listed as controlled substances beginning on April 4, all 7,000 members of the club have followed the protocol and delivered the packets of medicines to the Food and Drug Administration since late last year.

After the deadline on May 3, any pharmacies or clinics found to have pseudoephedrine-based medicines in their possession will be guilty of a felony, punishable by a sentence of 5-20 years imprisonment and a fine of 100,000-400,000 baht if found guilty.

Mr Kritchapoj said that following the ban, most pharmacies have opted to supply customers with phenylephrine-based cold pills instead. He noted that a number of consumers have complained that phenylephrine proved ineffective for the relief of cold symptoms. The club is now considering another alternative medication to replace pseudoephedrine.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 30 April 2012 footer_n.gif

Sante...Welcome to Thailand! I feel ya bro. I have been coming from sfo to bkk for 10 years. I get the same symptoms most trips. Hope the advice from a couple of TV members helps. Good info from (Winnie TheKhwai) as you prob know already...Antibiotics will not help with a cold or the flu unless you get a sinus infection or something nasty like that.

Send me a PM if you want some info that will save you from lots of headaches here and loads of info to save time and money! My wife is Thai and we have friends in Chiang mai. Hope you feel better soon! Cheers, D

Also, as a newcomer, you'll notice that many of us felt that we ought, while you're ill, to teach you the details about airport searches explicitly. By and large, questions should be shaped to deny us any opportunity to change the subject. That is, I'm giving even more advice than you need - something inside us, I'm afraid.whistling.gif

Nothing wrong with adding a bit of seasoning to an otherwise very bland topic. thumbsup.gif

-Mestizo

Not sure how well that will work now legally for Tiffy/Actified as they have been pulled and require prescription via hospital AFAIK.

BANGKOK, 30 April 2012 (NNT) - The Drug Stores Club of Thailand announced yesterday that all of its affiliated drug stores have completed the recall of pseudoephedrine-based cold medicine.

During the Drug Stores Club of Thailand’s annual meeting held yesterday at Impact Arena, president of the club, Kritchapoj Thananuprawat, said that since pseudoephedrine-containing pills have been listed as controlled substances beginning on April 4, all 7,000 members of the club have followed the protocol and delivered the packets of medicines to the Food and Drug Administration since late last year.

After the deadline on May 3, any pharmacies or clinics found to have pseudoephedrine-based medicines in their possession will be guilty of a felony, punishable by a sentence of 5-20 years imprisonment and a fine of 100,000-400,000 baht if found guilty.

Mr Kritchapoj said that following the ban, most pharmacies have opted to supply customers with phenylephrine-based cold pills instead. He noted that a number of consumers have complained that phenylephrine proved ineffective for the relief of cold symptoms. The club is now considering another alternative medication to replace pseudoephedrine.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 30 April 2012 footer_n.gif

Interesting. Anyway the brand names likely remain the same, they will adjust the formula a bit.

To the OP: Yes, 7-11 have some common medications as well.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I take zinc tablets, good for the immune system and never get a cold.

I never take zinc tablets and never get a cold, explain this. Do you ever eat seafood, meat or chicken?

Eat very little meat at all.

In clinical trials zinc supplements have been proved to help against illnesses such as colds.

Being cooped up in a pressurized aluminum tube for 30 hours, breathing the air of 300 other people if what most likely gave the OP a head cold. Along with the stress from traveling and a touch a jet lag. Plenty of rest, antihistamine, decongestant, food and plenty of liquids should set you right in a couple days.

Suggestion; remove your aircon filter(s), soak in a mild solution of bleach and water for at least 20 minutes. Rinse, dry, replace. Repeat every 2 to 3 weeks.

Carry a little bottle oh bleach (haiter) when travelling and do the above by placing aircon filters in the sink; while having a shower. Do not be frightened by the puple, green, and multi-colored gunge adhering to said filters, but do use plastic gloves or whatever.

Does wonders for your health.