Anybody Familiar With Hill Living In Doi Suthep National Park?

Jezz

You could do a search for generator noise, and availability. I lived for 25 years off grid, my favorite generator is the Honda "eu" series. They go from 1000w on up, not cheap but very quiet. All the cheaper models create noise hell.

Edited by daoyai

You could do a search for generator noise, and availability. I lived for 25 years off grid, my favorite generator is the Honda "eu" series. They go from 1000w on up, not cheap but very quiet. All the cheaper models create noise hell.

I'll check it out - thanks.

Coffee & gift shop at a Wat...... interesting, I mentioned to my wife, who is from ChiangMai, and her reactions were even more interesting (whistling.gif ) especially when she read your clan is from Issaan.....Good Luck !

Is this the back side of the mountain which, right now, is a slick muddy soup winding around the Lychee plantations?

I went down that for the first time in my Friend's Vitara, a ton of fun, but not something I would want to do too often. We almost slid off to a nasty tumble once or twice. Also watched a Thai put his 2wd pickup into two large holes and get stuck at an unpleasant angle about .75m away from a 500m decline. He proceeded to try and neutral drop his way out of the whole and only succeeded in almost killing himself as he increase the angle his truck was pinned at...

Coffee & gift shop at a Wat...... interesting, I mentioned to my wife, who is from ChiangMai, and her reactions were even more interesting (whistling.gif ) especially when she read your clan is from Issaan.....Good Luck !

Nothing unusual about coffee shops at temples. Here are pics of a couple in Chiang Mai. The only difference being the one I’m referring to will be a new Lana style building. And the ‘gifts’ will be Buddhist collectables etc.

shops-at-mountain-temple-chiang-mai-thailand+12947017743-tpfil02aw-28612.jpgcoffee-shop-at-temple-chiang-mai-thailand+1152_12947012783-tpfil02aw-28611.jpg

Is this the back side of the mountain?

Check out earlier posts and you'll find this road is hard surfaced, used by all sorts of vehicles, including tour minibuses year round.

Nothing unusual about coffee shops at temples.

Right. Nor with folks from the North East.

Went up this weekend--road is fine the whole way. I was in a truck but probably no problem for a sedan. The views are amazing, as is the temple. Could definitely use something to eat at the top!

Until Jezz's family get's their place running, you can find food past the parking lot on the left. Cross a small bridge and you will see some wood tables. Not much to look at, but the food is good.

Now I see that I've been there ones,about 10 years ago...and it is so popular because of the big Buddha foot imprint there (nobody mention that here)....I wouldn't say it is "that" remote....

Yes, just send me a PM with any questions or concerns. Not sure exactly which temple. Google maps shows you near Pong Khrai. My brother in-law's wife is from Pong Khrai Life in the hills can be wonderful. Yes, it gets cold in the winter months at night, but nothing a good blanket or quilt can't handle. Altbough the folks in town look at you a bit wierd when you gear up to ride back home at night as you anticipate up to a 10 degree drop in temperature. It is not the life for everyone. If you don't speak Thai life will be very difficult. But the people are wonderful, the Khon Muang, the Karen, and the Mong are great neighbors once you get to know them. And the day trip opportunities on a good dual sport motorcyle, like a KLX, are endless. My village has now long had a paved road and electricity, but the electricty goes out periodically and I don't depend on Internet access but make a trip into Mae Rim to check my e-mail every few days at the local Internet shop which is owned by one of the most delightful Thai women I know.

Yes, just send me a PM with any questions or concerns.

Hi Jopha! Nice to get a link with someone with firsthand knowledge of living in the hills. I’m sure I’ll have some questions for you and will take the opportunity to PM you as they arise. Our location will be adjacent to Wat Phra Phutabat Si Roy,tambon Saluang, Mae Rim (The road up from Saluang passing Taad Plaa Camp.) We’re going back in a couple of months or so to start putting pieces together regarding the coffee shop and generally gain more experience of surroundings and requirements. The building is well underway already. The plan then is to return to Isaan and make ready for the big move when things are in place.