Tourist Visa / Renting In Hua Hin

1) i am planning to stay in hua hin for 1 year, not working. I will obviuosly be on a tourist visa. When i touch down in bangkok, will i be given 30 or 60 days tourist visa? and do i apply straight away for a 30 day extension at immigration?

2) when my tourist visa runs out, all i have to do is a "visa run"? hop over to another country and do the same again?? any advice?

3) 2 bedroom house, can i get one for $400 nz dollars per month? nothing flash, but comfy

cheers

You would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry if entering by air, not a visa, and the airline may not let you board without proof of onward travel. Best to apply for a double or triple entry Tourist Visa if you don't qualify for anything else.

Edited by beechguy

You don't mention your nationality in your post. If from a Euro country you should consider getting a multiple entry non immigrant-o visa to visit friends from an Honorary Thai consulate there. You would have to make border runs every 90 days getting a 90 day permit to stay each entry for a year (15 months if you enter the day before your visa expires).

I assume that you are in NZ since you mention paying in NZ dollars.

Your best option would be to apply for triple entry tourist visa just prior to leaving NZ. If used properly you can get almost 270 days with two border runs and three 30 day extensions at immigration in Thailand. (1900 baht each). If you enter on a visa exempt entry you will only get 30 days which can only be extended for 7 days if you have a ticket exiting Thailand during the 7 days. If you make continuous border runs, you will only get 15 days by land, you must enter by air to get 30 days. In addition, the airline in NZ might not let you board the flight if you don't have a ticket exiting Thailand during the 30 days.

Edited by wayned

You don't mention your nationality in your post. If from a Euro country you should consider getting a multiple entry non immigrant-o visa to visit friends from an Honorary Thai consulate there. You would have to make border runs every 90 days getting a 90 day permit to stay each entry for a year (15 months if you enter the day before your visa expires).

You can no longer get a non-O for visiting friends.

That's about 10,000 baht. For that money, you might get a Thai-style townhouse, no yard, not inside a moo baan. If you want to live inside a complex, with access to a swimming pool and in a nicer house (not flashy, just nicer), you're looking to at least 15,000. Some will disagree and tell you it's possible to find a good house for less than 15,000. Maybe, if you get really lucky and spend lots of time driving around and have somebody who speaks Thai making phone calls for you. On your own, as a newbie, you'll need at least 15,000 to rent a good house.

Edited by dotx