Eva Air

Jaffy

Hi everyone,

I live in London & I have now been to thailand 5 times, flying there directly on 4 occassions and once on Emirates via Dubai. I much prefer the non stop flight as it saves time & the Thai Air schedule is pretty good. However, I notice that EVA has a very similar schedule & the price comparisons are good.

Also, I have noticed a deterioration in Thai Airways standards. Entertainment on flights is poor, the quality of the food seems to have regressed & I am also worried about their maintenance regime.

I need some info from those of you who have flown both EVA & THAI on comparisons between the 2 airlines. Also...

Does EVA give complimentary drinks?

What's their in flight entertainment like?

Are their meals any good?

Are they prone to delays?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Eva far superior than TG! TG isn't even in the same league - no comparision. Few bob more go for evergreen delux. (more room)

Does EVA give complimentary drinks? Yes

What's their in flight entertainment like? Seat video console

Are their meals any good? as far as airplane grub - not half bad

Are they prone to delays? no

Yep Evergreen Deluxe for me... its not that much more and is certainly worth it, even if youre not a "biggun" like me.

Dont spose it matters to much for you - but Eva lay on a free Express Coach from Bristol to Terminal 3... which is very handy, dont know if they offer this service all over though.

I understand that seat pitch on EVA is 33".

I like Thai cos they give me 34" & being 6'3 every inch counts ( just ask any lady!!!).

Mav & Buadhai,

do you know what the seat pitch is in Evergreen Deluxe & what extras ( not those kind of extras! :o ) can I expect in ED?

Cheers guys!

EVA is my choice. :D Next week I will fly the TG flight BKK to NYC and give a report. :D

Last year I flew Bangkok-Taipei-LAX with domestic connections to Chicago then to Houston with return Bangkok for Baht 45,000 Econ Deluxe. 4th row seating :D They had my requested meals and extras. Great flight. :o

Edited by ilyushin

Love Eva. Definitely endorse the service comments above as well as the benefits of Evergreen Deluxe (I've flown both that and EVA economy).

Downside for me is the flight timing. If I remember right, the BKK-LHR flight is at lunchtime. I now always prefer an evening flight so that I can pop a pill and sleep through most of the flight. EVA LHR-BKK is at 21.30 which is fine.

I just did LCY-Schiphol-BKK with KLM. Not that much longer than direct and way better than a plane-change in the Gulf. You also get in and out of London City in a fraction of the time that you need at Heathrow. KLM also lets you check in online 30 hours before departure and pick your seat - got me an exit row seat both ways.

I understand that seat pitch on EVA is 33".

I like Thai cos they give me 34" & being 6'3 every inch counts ( just ask any lady!!!).

Mav & Buadhai,

do you know what the seat pitch is in Evergreen Deluxe & what extras ( not those kind of extras!  :D ) can I expect in ED?

Cheers guys!

Seat pitch is here...Asian Airlines seat pitch

Evergreen Delux is 38" :o

Edited by chuchok

Got a free coach ticket in Nov 05 (after a battle with lastminute.com who knew nothing about the promotion) from Cambridge to Heathrow (London) airport.

EVA's B-777's excellent. Staff cute & efficient. Even got my gluten-free meal on board at a day's notice. Thais will never compete with (non-communist) Chinese efficiency. And amazingly EVA undercuts Thai's ageing jumbos in ticket price.

Only downside were the humungous immigration lines in terminal 2 at 4 pm.

It's not exactly fair to compare EVA's Evergreen Deluxe class with THAI economy, of course it's better.

However comparing EVA economy with THAI, the latter is better all around. I agree THAI has gone downhill over the last 10 years but I'd still rather fly coach on THAI than on EVA.

THAI does have a new premium economy class on its two nonstop flights to the US (LAX and JFK). I've taken the flight to New York and found premium economy (I think it's called Premiere Class, or maybe just Premium) on that particular flight to be superb, edging out EVA's Evergreen.

One thing I dislike about EVA's BKK-LAX-BKK route is that even though you pay the Evergreen fare, you're only guaranteed Evergreen seating on the Taipei-LAX and LAX-Taipie legs, not between Taipei and Bangkok. That's not really explained when you buy the ticket either, pretty disappointing to be shunted off into economy when you're expecting premium econ.

It's not exactly fair to compare EVA's Evergreen Deluxe class with THAI economy, of course it's better.

However comparing EVA economy with THAI, the latter is better all around. I agree THAI has gone downhill over the last 10 years but I'd still rather fly coach on THAI than on EVA.

THAI does have a new premium economy class on its two nonstop flights to the US (LAX and JFK). I've taken the flight to New York and found premium economy (I think it's called Premiere Class, or maybe just Premium) on that particular flight to be superb, edging out EVA's Evergreen.

I can't comment on EVA, but this is true about THAI's direct to NY and LA. I'm 6'3" so leg room is a huge issue for me on any flight over 2 hours. They fly new A340-500s on these routes and provide 37" in economy with 46" in premium economy - they allow upgrades to PE for $199 last I checked. I found the service to be impeccable aside from the typically mai pen rai THAI departure time, but I have no basis for comparison to EVA, so I can't comment on any discrepancies. If EVA is Star Alliance I'll try them or Malaysia next - MA is running a $699 R/T special to NY or LA. I keep hearing that Cathay is the best for BKK to USA routes in terms of comfort and service, but again I don't know yet.

EVA is Taiwanese.

Taiwanese understand business, ie. the customer matters

Thai is Thai.

They seem to think that's enough.

Put it this way, what does Thai do better than EVA? Or even as well?

Point to point and where Premium economy is available EVA beats Thai

EVA is only comparable from Bangkok to Taipei with Thai and there they are very much the same except in first class....

Hi everyone,

I live in London & I have now been to thailand 5 times, flying there directly on 4 occassions and once on Emirates via Dubai. I much prefer the non stop flight as it saves time & the Thai Air schedule is pretty good. However, I notice that EVA has a very similar schedule & the price comparisons are good.

Also, I have noticed a deterioration in Thai Airways standards. Entertainment on flights is poor, the quality of the food seems to have regressed & I am also worried about their maintenance regime.

I need some info from those of you who have flown both EVA & THAI on comparisons between the 2 airlines. Also...

Does EVA give complimentary drinks?

What's their in flight entertainment like?

Are their meals any good?

Are they prone to delays?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

No Contest, !! forget thai, as I wrote in a thread earlier this yearwe were meeting up with a blind mate from Guildford in thailand, he flew Eva evergreen , they collected him from home, delivered him to us at the Indra for no extra cost and the same on the way back to UK , our friend says he was treated like royalty, normally he flies thai but he says never again,Nignoy

EVA is Taiwanese.

Thai is Thai.

EVA is only comparable from Bangkok to Taipei with Thai and there they are very much the same except in first class....

I know. I fly only EVA to Asia.

I am one of the ever increasing circle of people that rates EVA as the best airline in the world. Their food is great, service excellent,hardly ever late. In fact the 300,000 miles plus I have flown with EVA, I can't recall them being late at all. OK I am someone that tries hard not to fly ecomony on long haul, and ED gives a perfect oppotunity to travel Club class at economy or near prices. A tip. Join the EVA Air milage club as well. The benefits are great. A couple of times we have bought Super Business Class tickets ( for around 1,000 sterling if your lucky) and been upgraded to Super First. Of course the only downside to that is that you have full beds, go to sleep in London and wake up just before you get to BKK, so missing out on the fillet steak, lobster thermidor and champagne served whenever you want it. Inflight entertainment is good as well, with Eva Air's New Wave music channel topping most good radio stations. Evas accident record is exemplory as well,never yet having a serious incident. Their Captains are British,Scandanavian or American with Chinese first officers. That about it for my Eva Air plug, except perhaps for a good class hotel, the Evergreen Laurel in BKK takes some beating.

Happy flying.

you guys just confused me of which airline to board in April from NY - BKK.

Originally my wife and I were thinking about Thai airway but many people seem to complaint about the onboard services. Now, we are thinking about EVA. hmmmm.. what to do what to do?

-Thai Airway however has a non-stop flight fomr NY-BKK (17hrs). again, what to do what to do? :o

-EVA is cheaper though...what to do what to do? :D

Please make up my mind for me :D

you guys just confused me of which airline to board in April from NY - BKK.

Originally my wife and I were thinking about Thai airway but many people seem to complaint about the onboard services. Now, we are thinking about EVA. hmmmm.. what to do what to do?

-Thai Airway however has a non-stop flight fomr NY-BKK (17hrs). again, what to do what to do? :o

-EVA is cheaper though...what to do what to do?  :D

Please make up my mind for me  :D

It depends, if you fly economy I suggest EVA for the better service, for saving time the non-stop Thai air will be my choice. Thai air's reputation for good service has gone down hill in the past ten years, a lot has to do with the managing and the internal politics. It's true it is better to speak English rather Thai to their staff to get decent service, the reason being to "serve" non-Thai is preferable because to serve a Thai person is deemed "inferior" as in being a servant.

Of course this won't apply to those in First or business class.

A little off the subject hope this give you some idea about which airline to take. :D

[ Thai person is deemed "inferior" as in being a servant.

Of course this won't apply to those in First or business class.

A little off the subject hope this give you some idea about which airline to take. :o

My wife (Thai) would never fly Thai Airways again. They treat her with so much disrespect is immpossible.

EVA is Taiwanese.

Thai is Thai.

Have you actually flown Thai premium economy? It's only available on their long-haul nonstosp since May (to NY) and last month (for LA). I ask because my experience leads me to disagree completely with your assertion "Point to point and where Premium economy is available EVA beats Thai". THAI's premium economy is far better than EVA's Evergreen, better wine, better food and better service. And a better class of fellow passenger.

EVA is Taiwanese.

Thai is Thai.

Taiwanese may understand business, but Thais understand service. Having travelled in both Taiwan in Thailand, I find the service - in the tourism sector at least - is generally more friendly and efficient in Thailand.

At any rate, the comparison only goes so far when talking about airlines. China Airlines is Taiwanese, and it's one of the worst airlines in Asia, both in terms of service and safety.

Eva is really quite tolerable. I just got my gold card club membership. The 777 service between BKK-TPE is superb.

The old 747-400's are a distinct contrast. They make up for it with the excellent service.

I book the deluxe class and try to upgrade to business on the long hauls.

Their lounges in BKK and TPE are nice. They make the LAX lounge seem like a third-world country.

Thai airways is dreadful really, to be avoided. I try to fly Bangkok Airways around Thailand when possible.

EVA is Taiwanese.

Thai is Thai.

Have you actually flown Thai premium economy? It's only available on their long-haul nonstosp since May (to NY) and last month (for LA). I ask because my experience leads me to disagree completely with your assertion "Point to point and where Premium economy is available EVA beats Thai". THAI's premium economy is far better than EVA's Evergreen, better wine, better food and better service. And a better class of fellow passenger.

Sabajai,

Yes I have flown TG more than I care to remember I have more than 100.000 miles per year on Star Alliance flights a lot of it with TG.

I do not think you can compare premium economy of either with economy of the other, it is unfair.

EVA does not fly USA-Bangkok in premium economy as there is a stop in TPE and the TPE-BKK leg is in economy. On that run I think TG beats EVA.

Between LHR and BKK I think EVA has the lead as TG does not offer an economy premium product...yet.

TG is also very unpredictable as far as aircraft type i soncerned and very often changes them at the last minute. If you think you are booked on the latest A340 and you get a DC-10 I do not think you will aprreciate and you will think twice when booking your next flight.