Eva Air

Jaffy

[ Thai person is deemed "inferior" as in being a servant.

Of course this won't apply to those in First or business class.

A little off the subject hope this give you some idea about which airline to take. :o

My wife (Thai) would never fly Thai Airways again. They treat her with so much disrespect is immpossible.

Says it all really.

I can't understand why Thais do this.

My hubby wont fly with thai anymore either, they treat Thais crap.

Jst out of curiosity, the people why fly with EVA from LHR to BKK, do you book direct on the web or via lastminute.com or other agents? What is cheaper?

Jst out of curiosity, the people why fly with EVA from LHR to BKK, do you book direct on the web or via lastminute.com or other agents? What is cheaper?

I book through WestEast Travel in London.

http://www.westeasttravel.com/user/default.asp

Always found them reliable and as cheap as any of the internet sellers.

Always through an agent like Trailfinders or online through Travelocity, Expedia, Opodo etc. Never seen EVA's prices as low as through agents.

Yes I have flown TG more than I care to remember I have more than 100.000 miles per year on Star Alliance flights a lot of it with TG.

My question was, have you flown TG premium econ? I think not, from what you said, hasn't been around long enough for you to fly 100,000 miles .... :o

By the way, my wife is Thai and has never been treated with disrespect on THAI. She prefers flying THAI, internationally. Domestically I avoid THAI, find Nok Plus to be the best service.

Yes I have flown TG more than I care to remember I have more than 100.000 miles per year on Star Alliance flights a lot of it with TG.

My question was, have you flown TG premium econ? I think not, from what you said, hasn't been around long enough for you to fly 100,000 miles .... :o

By the way, my wife is Thai and has never been treated with disrespect on THAI. She prefers flying THAI, internationally. Domestically I avoid THAI, find Nok Plus to be the best service.

Point taken, I have not flown premium economy with TG.

I do not know a point to point destination where you can compare both Tg and EVA's premium economy prodiucts.

TG does not have it to LHR and EVA does not have it all the way to the US and anyway thne ther is an intermediate stop in TPE which would be a big minus for me.

I only choose EVA over TG if TG does not have the same class offering like on the LHR flight where their product is above TG in all classes. the only drawback (and it is important of you are out on business) they do not have daily flights nor the possibility to re-route to/from other destination in case of mechanical problems

I am of to Paris on ANA this morning upgraded to F

chock dee

Happy travelling

Not sure, but I always get treated like royalty, as do pretty much everyone of my Thai friends - additional food, non stop drinks, a few hot dates - that sort of thing. So I think the service perhaps varies depending on the staff; there is no policy or otherwise to mistreat anyone. The airline that really treats you depending on how you are dressed (if Asian) is Singapore - dress up and it is totty city with non stop service. Dress down like a student and you cannot get service. At all. Having lived in Singapore, why does this not surprise me>?! :o

I think it really depends on where you are flying to; going USA and NZ the service and so forth seemed really good (for me and my friends) but totally unsure if perhaps going the other way to Europe the service is much worse?? Maybe different people get different service. Anyway, Thai Airways are far from perfect in many ways, but for now, I think their food and their service is about the best thing they have going for them.

Thanks to the person for that review site; check out the section on the tips for best seats by airline - how good is that?!

THeir hints for EVA......

EVA AIR

Business Class

Aircraft : Boeing 747-400 (combi)

Row 6 in business class is the best because there are no seats in front of you so you have more leg room.

It is about 36-2 to Eva at moment!

Was thinking of travelling with Thai Air this year but after reading this,will go with EVA.Few years since last flew with EVA,but found them spot on.

Martin.

Sorry 37-2!

Couple of Offers now on with West east...

London -Bangkok....

EVA Air

Bangkok - Economy £360.00

Bangkok - Elite £570.00

Bangkok - Business £1380.00

Thai Airways

Bangkok - Economy £430.00

Bangkok - Business £1300.00

:o

I only ever fly economy! Eva score highly on everything, service, food, being on time etc. The only negative is the economy seats feel small and are uncomfortable. However, I don't sleep so I just keep myself busy and the time flies by.

London -Bangkok....

EVA Air 

Bangkok - Elite £570.00

Thai Airways 

:D

I just phoned WestEast Travel and you need to add £93.40 Tax to the above prices. That seems a lot of tax to me, as I think you are only paying for the London end. :o

It is about 36-2 to Eva at moment!

Sorry 37-2!

Wrong, all comparisons except my post have compared EVA premium economy with THAI economy. Apples and oranges.

The closest comparison would be to fly Taipei-Los Angeles in Evergreen Deluxe, and compare with BKK-LAX in THAI premium economy, discounting the fact that Taiper-LAX is a shorter flight. I have flown both and THAI premium econ on that route (and on the BKK-New York route) is heads above any Evergreen Deluxe flight I've taken. I used to prefer EVA to LA because of the Evergreen option, but THAI is better, in my opinion.

So that makes it 1-0 in THAI's favour, technically speaking .... sorry :o

The other problem we had with thai from LHR - BKK was the lack of tv in the seats & being 6ft the legroom is always a problem. The staffs attitude should have nothing to do with how a customer is dressed. I pay for a service & expect to get it & if the staff, who's salary I pay by buying a ticket, decides to be rude because my husband doesn't look hi-so enough for them, will then have me to deal with for 12hrs & I can press the "call assistant" button a lot in 12hrs :o

I've flown Thai economy a couple of times, good leg room but that's the only good I can say about it. No seat back video, average food, staff do their job then disappear into their cubbyhole and don't like being disturbed until they have to serve more food.

Off topic but BA staff lovely, very helpful, always ready to chat when they're not working, seat back video, ok food, lousy legroom!

Going to the UK April so I'll give Eva a try, my son and my parents have used Eva and spoke well of them.

I believe you will find Thai is considerably more expensive when you compare apples to apples. So value wise I would say EVA wins hands down. Thai has more room in the new premium seating but at the added cost it is just not worth it to most people once you have room to cross you legs. I find the arrival time at LAX to be bad for anyone but those living in that city (but I guess that it is designed for the Thai who do live there).

London -Bangkok....

EVA Air 

Bangkok - Elite £570.00

Thai Airways 

:D

I just phoned WestEast Travel and you need to add £93.40 Tax to the above prices. That seems a lot of tax to me, as I think you are only paying for the London end. :D

Afraid so... :o

The Government over here have told all the travel agents and operators to include for ALL taxes and other little extras to be included and presented as a FINAL total flight price and I do agree that its pretty gauling when you get a quote (this week..Royal J for £225..to Bangkok R/T)only to find that you gotta add on a hundred plus £ on top and usually also the infamous ccc charges...(credit card payment)

One minute you recon that it could be a bargain and worthwhile then when compared to say Eva and even British Airways it aint really that good.

Taxes seem to range from approx £49....up to around £150 and there could be more coming (energy T -on kero)

Most of the Big guys actually comply with Govs dictate...Travelbag-Ebookers-Airline Network-Flight Centres-B.A.....etc....but not W/E and some other smaller outfits.(dont know why?)

Airlines registered overseas also dont need to comply...ie Singapore Airways. :D

I believe you will find Thai is considerably more expensive when you compare apples to apples. So value wise I would say EVA wins hands down. Thai has more room in the new premium seating but at the added cost it is just not worth it to most people once you have room to cross you legs. I find the arrival time at LAX to be bad for anyone but those living in that city (but I guess that it is designed for the Thai who do live there).

At least you're addressing the topic .... :o

When it comes to value, I guess it depends on how you weight your income/expenditures. For me it's worth it.

And of course convienence.

K.wife just called me to say that TG booked her on a Standby this morning back to Heathrow.

She thought that she might be stuck over there until the 16th jan (everything fully booked)but her gold card had to give her some stick....getting pushy...at last....good :o

...back to eating rice again.....

When it comes to value, I guess it depends on how you weight your income/expenditures. For me it's worth it.

For LAX to BKK I think Evergreen Deluxe versus Thai Economy is a fair comparison since they cost about the same. Hard to justify paying the extra money for Thai Economy, when I can pay the same for Evergreen Deluxe. The only other consideration now is the non-stop that Thai offers which knocks off about 2 hours each way and runs maybe $200 more.

But, I've taken to flying EVA economy now since it's actually pretty comfortable, and really cheap. If they were the same price, I'd consider them interchangeable. I do think EVA economy is more consistently better. Last Thai flight, the plane was shabby with only the overhead screen for entertainment. Service was ok, but it felt like they had priorties other than serving the customers.

Having said that, last year I flew Thai airlines RT with the girlfriend to Hong Kong and they treated her great. That crew was just a good crew and it was nice having them speak Thai for the things like emergency procedures. And my girlfriend's sister hates EVA. Her and her husband fly from London to Thailand fairly often and she hates EVA. But I think they only took it once and she's judging from one bad trip.

EVA gets a higher grade from me, but if Thai can knock down the direct price a bit, I'll switch.

Edited by Carmine6

For LAX to BKK I think Evergreen Deluxe versus Thai Economy is a fair comparison since they cost about the same. Hard to justify paying the extra money for Thai Economy, when I can pay the same for Evergreen Deluxe. The only other consideration now is the non-stop that Thai offers which knocks off about 2 hours each way and runs maybe $200 more.

But, I've taken to flying EVA economy now since it's actually pretty comfortable, and really cheap. If they were the same price, I'd consider them interchangeable. I do think EVA economy is more consistently better. Last Thai flight, the plane was shabby with only the overhead screen for entertainment. Service was ok, but it felt like they had priorties other than serving the customers.

Having said that, last year I flew Thai airlines RT with the girlfriend to Hong Kong and they treated her great. That crew was just a good crew and it was nice having them speak Thai for the things like emergency procedures. And my girlfriend's sister hates EVA. Her and her husband fly from London to Thailand fairly often and she hates EVA. But I think they only took it once and she's judging from one bad trip.

EVA gets a higher grade from me, but if Thai can knock down the direct price a bit, I'll switch.

Go for EVA ecomony deluxe with the bigger (2nd hand business class) seats. I was a frequent flyer with Thai but once I got my London Brisbane round trip I couldn't have been happier to stop using them...they can be quite appalling at times!

Have travelled with Thai and Eva, as well as China Airways, little between them except that Eve gives you a Business seat for little more than an Economy price, TG outprices everyone they are now quoting £1900 for Business Class.

I have just managed to book an Evagreen deluxe for next month for about £750, though I had to try a number of agents before I found availability and even then had to be flexible on dates, it would seem that every one has caught onto this bargain and the seats sell out fast.

Edited by Governor