Homebrew Equipment

I am arriving in Thailand - Surat Thani via Malaysia (Malaysian airways from London to KL and Airasia KL to Surat Thani)

My Thai friend wants me to bring her some brewing equipment for making cider as she is off to the town hall to ask about a license to brew some ciders for drinking at home.

its not a lot of stuff, a couple of plastic valve things, 30 plastic corks, 2 5 gram packs of yeast, some tablets for cleaning the bottles out and a clearing agent - all small items that I can carry in my luggage

Anyway, I want to know if I will get in trouble at the airport if they check my suitcase and find this stuff? I know its legal to brew with license for a thai, but what about me brining it in? will they just confiscate it if they find it or will I get in more trouble?

brewing for your own consumption leaves you with a 600 Baht fine. Look on the Home Brew Thailand site. Getting a license is very expensive and is meant for commercial production.

brewing for your own consumption leaves you with a 600 Baht fine. Look on the Home Brew Thailand site. Getting a license is very expensive and is meant for commercial production.

Hi; could you please provide the link to "Home Brew Thailand" site ? I cannot find it . . .

Thanks for your time & trouble.

Cheers,

Jaap

Hi; could you please provide the link to "Home Brew Thailand" site ? I cannot find it . . .

Thanks for your time & trouble.

Cheers,

Jaap

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Home+Brew+Thailand

• Like 1

You won't have any trouble bringing things in, if you are asked just say it is for baking or cooking.

You have no chance of getting a licence, as cooked says above, you can legally brew alcohol with a licence, but the minumum production requirements are for something like 600,000 litres a year.

Unless you really really like cider....

• Like 1

The above mentioned site will sell you malt and yeast. I have been brewing for years without using cleaning tablets. Once you get a good yeast you turn it into live yeast and let it live in the fridge. Stop worrying for goodness sakes it'll be ok, just don't lie if asked a direct question, avoid the truth where possible. Be naif, shouldn't be too difficult, I always manage.

The above mentioned site will sell you malt and yeast. I have been brewing for years without using cleaning tablets. Once you get a good yeast you turn it into live yeast and let it live in the fridge. Stop worrying for goodness sakes it'll be ok, just don't lie if asked a direct question, avoid the truth where possible. Be naif, shouldn't be too difficult, I always manage.

I love it. Has to be my quote of the year "don't lie, avoid the truth where possible" clap2.gif seriously!

• Like 1

I have been home-brewing for 30+ years (mostly Coopers stout from kits, to produce a low alcohol [one-third the usual content] product). Over the years, managed to dispense with air-locks, finings, sterilizer tablets, even bottles... plastic soft drink bottles are much easier to deal with. So maybe you could just concentrate on finding your friend a good source of cider starter product! AA

• Like 1

I have a bit of an issue with this thread.

Several months ago I made a similar post to this requesting any info on where to buy some items for home brewing. The responses were some of the rudest posts I have ever seem, and there were more than a couple of them. I was not only bashed and flamed but told that what I was doing was illegal and I would be arrested. I was also told that as this is an illegal activity in Thailand it is against forum rules to make any post regardng illegal activities, and told to read the rules. Then told the thread would be closed.

Now we have a thread here where everyone is so nice and helpful, seems that this board runs on a very double standard

Mr Dinger:

I looked at your old thread, and I found some useful references there that I didn't know about. If you had been able to use the link to the home brew Thailand forum you would have found the infos you were looking for. I didn't see any posts that were ruder than the norm on these forums (which admittedly can be pretty rude). It is illegal to brew (including distilling) in Thailand, the BIB may fine you the 600 Baht and 'confiscate' your beer, so you may want to invite them for a beer tasting in advance. Just don't sell it.

Hi Cooked

I did actually get some good info from that thread and met up with some of the guys from the thaibrewing forum. Good bunch of guys. I was just a bit annoyed at the responses that I received to my post here, which I felt were quire rude.

Just venting

rregards

• Like 2