Sewer-cleaning Thai Prisoners

Trevor

Just saw a Thai film on TV about jailbirds which reminded me of seeing a gang of Thai prisoners covered in muck cleaning sewers near Bangkok's Krungthon bridge in 1982.

These poor guys, never Westerners, just wear prison garb without the benefit of gloves, masks or any waterproofs at all. If they get sick, medical care is minimal. In the West sewer cleaners are well-protected and well-paid; there would be a public outcry if put to work like the Thais.

Does Amnesty International have anything to say about this, or are petty criminals 'fair game'?

Bangkok's immigration detention centre is also a disgrace. Thailand is wealthy enough to afford better. Many of the real criminals are corrupt officials and businessmen who buy their way out of prosecution. Scary country for the uncautious or unaware.

Believe it or not, it is "work" to stay squeeky clean, considering all of the "mierda" we see everyday in the news. It is easier to steal, kill, etc than the opposite.

For those who opt not to "work" at obeying the laws of the land, let them collect nothing for their deeds.

I have no sympathy for those who have committed crimes. I have never been in jail, and thanks to my moral standards, I will never have such displeasure.

Amnesty International is run by a bunch of pansies that don't quite see the world as it is. They focus too much on the notion of a utopian society, and not much effort in reality. The world is already overpopulated. Kill the criminals, and the world will be better for the rest of us.

Bottom line, crime does not pay, and should not pay, or cost the innocent. Criminals should not commit a crime, and then get treated like a deserving citizen. Punish them harshly... reveal their horror stories while incarcerated, and let that be a lesson to all others.

To pull this issue together with another one I read recently on TV, it is amazing that criminals are afforded more comfort than a harmless dog.

Edited by Gumballl

Trevor - this is only what you can see. Inside the BangKwang and Klong Prem prisoners are given forced labour without any saftey gear - such as cutting stone. They have no choice since the prison does not provide basics such as a fair diet or soap.

Of course, the wealthy pay their way out of it. In fact, the wealthy do not go to prison in the first place in most instances. The sewer cleaning is considered one of the better jobs as they get to go outside and do something outside of the regular schedule - quite a change for a lifer.

Amnesty International is run by a bunch of pansies that don't quite see the world as it is.  They focus too much on the notion of a utopian society, and not much effort in reality.  The world is already overpopulated.  Kill the criminals, and the world will be better for the rest of us.

Clearly, you know nothing about them or their work.

Back into the gumball machine, chief. Safer in there.

For aficionadoes, there is a prison museum at Suan Rommani Nart, Thanon Mahachai, open 08.30 - 16.30, Mondays to Fridays. 02 226 1704. Some of the ancient Thai torture techniques make sewer cleaning look like a picnic.

The old Mahachai city jail, first used in 1939, was levelled in the 1990s, leaving only the watchtowers, offices & an exhibition cellblock. The rest is a pleasant green park with fountains & a weightlifting area.

The celebrated Thai restaurant Chote Chitr lies 700 meters to the West. 02 220 4082.

And Gumball: I hope you are never the victim of injustice, as are many inmates around the world.

Trevor - Thai prisoners are still being put to work on sewer cleaning. In fact, just a few months ago I saw a group of about thirty of them working on Phracha Uthit Road in Bangkok cleaning sewers, wearing in the main only brown prison issued shorts, showering down afterwards from two oil drums filled with water. Not nice work at all. Hauling up manually buckets of stinking waste.

Ironically, though it has got to be one of the worst jobs in the world, I think the Thai prison authorities look upon it as a perk for a few trusted prisoners, not thought likely to make their getaway once away from the prison confines.

Believe it or not, it is "work" to stay squeeky clean, considering all of the "mierda" we see everyday in the news.  It is easier to steal, kill, etc than the opposite.

For those who opt not to "work" at obeying the laws of the land, let them collect nothing for their deeds.

I have no sympathy for those who have committed crimes.  I have never been in jail, and thanks to my moral standards, I will never have such displeasure.

Amnesty International is run by a bunch of pansies that don't quite see the world as it is.  They focus too much on the notion of a utopian society, and not much effort in reality.  The world is already overpopulated.  Kill the criminals, and the world will be better for the rest of us.

Bottom line, crime does not pay, and should not pay, or cost the innocent.  Criminals should not commit a crime, and then get treated like a deserving citizen.  Punish them harshly... reveal their horror stories while incarcerated, and let that be a lesson to all others.

To pull this issue together with another one I read recently on TV, it is amazing that criminals are afforded more comfort than a harmless dog.

A good example of, ''Let he, who is without sin, cast the first stone" :o

They were on Soi 4 across from NANA last year ,

Not a nice job , but its out in the public . not stuck in jail,

Looked like a real nasty job.

BUT , I am sure if you offered this job to the public that there would be lines of men signing up,

its alot easier then some of the construction jobs for less than 200 baht a day !

I have no sympathy for those who have committed crimes. I have never been in jail, and thanks to my moral standards, I will never have such displeasure.

This makes me laugh, you certainly have a high opinion of yourself, moral standards wont help you if you were involved in a car accident for instance and the other driver was killed, thats just one instance a person with HIGH MORAL STANDARDS could end up in jail, not to mention people who are wrongfully accused of crimes that end up in jail. Im sure if you spent a couple of days in a Thai jail your opinion might just change, my opinions are based on horror stories ive read and not personal experience by the way.