PM Yingluck Expects Goods Prices To Fall Within Few Months

webfact

KerryK, you started this debate arguing that commodities worldwide are going down but provided the links that seem to prove quite the opposite - prices have been going up for at least half a year.

Now you quietly dropped that line of arguing and concentrated on whatever mistakes your opponents could have made whilst arguing with you. This reminds me of Thaksin who, upon being convicted, stirred the pot up so that everyone crossed some kind of line and now they propose the general amnesty for everyone so that PAD gets to walk free for tresspassing airport properties and Thaksin gets his 46 billion back. Fair deal, huh?

The government did its fair share to nudge the prices up and they've been told all along that it would happen if they pursued their policies. Now chickens come to roost and the government is being asked about its contribution. Asked by the opposition, mind you, the general public assumes that PTP have been trying to keep the prices down all along.

There's a price to pay for this assumption and it's being paid now.

You have said two different things. Prices are going up and prices are going down. You write, "the government did its fair share to nudge prices up .... Now the government is being asked about its contributions" What is it being asked? Did the prices go up or down and what prices?

Me? What am I saying? Prices go up and down as opposed to the posters who said they all are going up.

That's why I posted the chart links. Some go up some go down. If the PM expects prices to fall good for her. Some do some don't one can always be right saying some prices will fall and some will go up.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMHO arguing with Kerry is like trying to teach your pig to whistle. He not only knows it all, he is not shy about letting you know.

"Is anyone in the current government qualified to select the proper balance? I don't think so. I could do it but they haven't asked my opinion."

He also seems to have some appreciation for our current PM for reasons that elude me, but exactly why is a secret he wishes to keep. I have asked him repeatedly to elucidate one achievement other than deliberately raising the price of the nation's basic food, to no avail.

IMHO arguing with Kerry is like trying to teach your pig to whistle. He not only knows it all, he is not shy about letting you know.

"Is anyone in the current government qualified to select the proper balance? I don't think so. I could do it but they haven't asked my opinion."

He also seems to have some appreciation for our current PM for reasons that elude me, but exactly why is a secret he wishes to keep. I have asked him repeatedly to elucidate one achievement other than deliberately raising the price of the nation's basic food, to no avail.

Mick, I realize your topics (flames) are different from the rest of us, (PM Yingluck expects goods prices to fall within few months) but I will try to stay on topic without comparing the PM or you to an animal. If you would stay on topic and play by the rules I would be more than happy to respond. However the question about achievements of the PM are not on topic to this thread and would only offer you another opportunity to go off topic.

Mick, I realize your topics (flames) are different from the rest of us, (PM Yingluck expects goods prices to fall within few months) but I will try to stay on topic without comparing the PM or you to an animal. If you would stay on topic and play by the rules I would be more than happy to respond. However the question about achievements of the PM are not on topic to this thread and would only offer you another opportunity to go off topic.

Who asked you to respond? Who compared Yingluk favourably to a range of other world politicians?

The point about teaching a pig to whistle is that it is a waste of my time. That it annoys the pig is secondary.

• Like 1

Who asked you to respond? Who compared Yingluk favourably to a range of other world politicians?

The point about teaching a pig to whistle is that it is a waste of my time. That it annoys the pig is secondary.

I didn't think you were annoyed. I thought you rather enjoyed my economic lessons. And I really don't think we disagree about the fact that some prices will go up and some prices will fall which is what the PM said.

...and I forecast that pigs will fly and Thailand will win the bid for the next Olympics.

And I expected that Yingluck would FAIL within a few months...long behold, she did!

I have been following this thread and wondered what your post has to do with the topic? Not saying it is off topic I just have no idea what it has to do with prices going to fall in the future? How could she fail when the future has not come yet?

Thailand is a classic text book working example of the "Peter Principle."coffee1.gifclap2.gif In a world of dysfunctionality, they are in First Place.

Panama and Brazil are the places to live now, excellent and inexpensive medical, clean environment, and inexpensive housing, and U can buy a home in your own name (fee simple) without having to get married.

Some posts that are insinuating others are paid to post have been removed. If you have any actual evidence please forward it to support. Any more references like that may find you without posting rights.

An off topic post removed as well.

...and I forecast that pigs will fly and Thailand will win the bid for the next Olympics.

And I expected that Yingluck would FAIL within a few months...long behold, she did!

I have been following this thread and wondered what your post has to do with the topic? Not saying it is off topic I just have no idea what it has to do with prices going to fall in the future? How could she fail when the future has not come yet?

Because the price of pig meat is sky high?

Flying pig meat?

Never ever shop at Tesco have you? Pork is less than 100 Baht/kg.

That is because this government has artificially fixed the maximum price. And at this price farmers say they can't make money.

Between a rock and a hard place, eh?

The next step will be government run slaughterhouses and butcher's shops which run at a loss, selling pork for less than they pay the farmer. Everybody's happy except the accountants, and there's very few of them in Thailand.

That is because this government has artificially fixed the maximum price. And at this price farmers say they can't make money.

Between a rock and a hard place, eh?

The next step will be government run slaughterhouses and butcher's shops which run at a loss, selling pork for less than they pay the farmer. Everybody's happy except the accountants, and there's very few of them in Thailand.

The thing is, these government mandated prices have been around since time immemorial. Mandating the price of pak boong is an exercise in futility in the long run.

How about an "export duty" on food exports, which ironically did used to to exist in Thailand on rice, and was used to generate an awful lot of revenue.

Government policy

300px-Rice_fields_Chiang_Mai.jpg

magnify-clip.png
Rice fields in

The government wanted to promote urban growth and one of the ways it accomplished this was by taxing the rice industry and using the money in big cities.[5] In fact, during 1953, tax on rice accounted for 32 percent of government revenue. The government set a monopoly price on exports, which increased tax revenue and keep domestic prices low for Thailand. The overall effect was a type of income transfer from farmers to the government and to urban consumers (who purchased rice). These policies on rice were called the "rice premium," which was used until 1985 when the government finally gave into political pressure.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_production_in_Thailand

Electrical appliances to see price increase in June

BANGKOK, 28 May 2012 (NNT) – Consumers may be forced to face a price increase of no less than 5% in electrical appliances from June onward given entrepreneurs inability to bear the burden of increased material and labour costs.

Chairman of the Electrical and Electronics Club under the Federation of Thai Industries, Mr. Supachai Suthipongchai has revealed that the prices of electrical appliances will see a gradual increase of 5% during the second half of the year in line with the higher initial cost of about 10%, caused by price increase of raw materials imported from abroad as well as the 300-baht minimum wage hike.

At present, electrical appliances manufacturers are attempting to control all initial costs to maintain the current product prices. However, they will be obliged to adjust product prices upward if the attempt fails.

Mr. Supachai pointed out that the price increase will vary according to the group of products.

Retailers, such as Power Buy, have begun to receive requests to raise the prices, especially in the household appliance group; for instance, 5% increase for air conditioners, 5-7% for washing machines, and 3-5% for refrigerators.

Meanwhile, the electrical appliances market sees a 10% growth year-on-year during the first yearly quarter given the need to buy new electrical appliances to replace those damaged by the flood of 2011. The hot weather has also raised the sales figures of electric fans and air conditioners. Thus, it is expected that the electrical appliance market will see a 10% growth, worth 200 billion baht, this year.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-28 footer_n.gif

Edited by Buchholz