Teaching General Science, Physics, Math...

Gumballl

I see many TV posts about teaching English, but I rarely read anything about teaching other subjects.

I do not have a teaching degree, much less any teaching experience. I do however have a Bachelor of Engineering Science degree in Computer Science, and a good understanding of the basics of Science, Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry. If not already apparent, I am also able to teach programming languages (such as C++ and Java), Object Oriented Design (OOD), and I have a strong command of the English language (US style).

Does anyone know a school that will permit me to teach any of the aforementioned subjects, besides English? Will they require me to know how to speak/write in Thai? Also, any other ancillary information that may help my search for this information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by Gumballl

When you ask if they will "permit" you to teach these things do you mean will they get you a work permit to do it or will they allow you to do it...meaning you want to do it for free?

I am not quite ready to retire yet, so I meant to ask if there is any school that would hire me to work (teach, give instruction, etc) in a subject other than English, and pay me for such efforts. No doubt, this would require a work permit.

At least out in the provinces, or a desparate part of greater Bangkok, you could get hired to teach science or math. I was offered both math and science, and fortunately only chose math (and English). But the guy who took it found he had virtually no support on campus, had to decipher the subject matter each week before writing his lesson plans, lousy 'equipment,' experiments that couldn't work, terrible textbook two weeks after classes started, etc. Teaching math, I had an easier job because half the time, I could almost figure out the Thai textbook without knowing ten words of Thai. Still, I doubt I'd do it again.

As PB says, teaching science is fraught with difficulties in Thailand. No curriculum, lack of equipment and a real lack of willingness on the part of the students to do anything that entails thinking or work, etc etc. However if you want to teach science, you have a degree and white skin, you will get a job EASILY. And you may even get paid a little bit more than the average English teacher!!

If you want to teach the skills you listed that would probably mean working at a Uni and the pay isn't so good but I hear the opportunities for private work are better.

However if you haven't taught before perhaps you should consider doing a EFL course (Celta, TEFL etc).

I am sure it is quite straight-forward teaching science to english speakers but I can tell that teaching scientific concepts to Thai kids whose English is limited is far from easy....explaining what voltage is to M3 students, or the role of Insulin in the body to M2's, can be VERY difficult!

Edited by Sporting Dog

I see many TV posts about teaching English, but I rarely read anything about teaching other subjects.

I do not have a teaching degree, much less any teaching experience.  I do however have a Bachelor of Engineering Science degree in Computer Science, and a good understanding of the basics of Science, Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry.  If not already apparent, I am also able to teach programming languages (such as C++ and Java), Object Oriented Design (OOD), and I have a strong command of the English language (US style).

Does anyone know a school that will permit me to teach any of the aforementioned subjects, besides English?  Will they require me to know how to speak/write in Thai?  Also, any other ancillary information that may help my search for this information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Thewphaingarm, west Bangkok. Everything's taught through English. Here's the website.

http://www.tpg.ac.th/

OP should read the pinned thread "Questions About Qualifications," which is FULL of information about teaching non-English subjects at EP programs in Thailand. In theory, he should have no trouble finding SOME work, although to find really GOOD work may take a few jobs to figure out where he fits in. Also, computer-science-related EP jobs are typically the easiest to fill in Thailand (compared to searching for people who have qualifications of some kind in science, math, history, etc.) so you may find the competition for computer science slightly higher than for one of the hard sciences. Take a look at Q about Q.

"Steven"