Thailand Buys Chinese Tablet Computers For Schools

webfact

it matters not one jot about the teaching materials, the timescales, the quality etc.etc. All that matters is that PTP have kept their promise, the details of the promise are unimportant, because the politicos can blame that on someone else.

Having 3 kids at school and following this its nice to see at least one positive comment...

Do we have to have kids in the Thai school system to know it's a failure? Can't we figure it out just by working day to day with the finished product? If the curriculum is so great why can't any of my colleagues read a map? why do they seem to struggle when it comes to critical thinking? From what those close to me have told me about their own experiences coming up in the public school system here it's not an atmosphere of free thinking or questioning why but rather repeat what is taught to you without question. Hopefully you are supplementing your children's education at home mr. or mrs. thair than thai.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GPS tracing content in/on the Internet?

Won't happen, it would imply a always-on Internet connection, ie. a SIM-card in the device and even more difficult, someone taking care of server software for tracking, nigh impossible here. Someone's just got a nifty idea because a GPS chip is included and is blowing hot air.

Just a thought--the person monitoring the 400,000 tables, There one goes near Khon Khen, Oh-it's on a bus traveling to Udon, and grandma is using it. we will have someone at the bus station at Udon to retrieve the thing and get it back to the school---- had an idea this would happen. Tomorrow we will ban the kid for 1 week.

Education Ministry to seek budget for Wi-Fi installation in schools nationwide

BANGKOK, 14 May 2012 (NNT) – The Ministry of Education is set to seek a budget to install wi-fi internet in schools nationwide. Meanwhile, the tablet PCs are expected to be distributed to first-graders by July.

Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvech said that the government's scheme to distribute tablet PCs to Prathom One and Mathayom One students aims to enhance the country’s educational technology as well as speed up the student's learning process.

The Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) has recently finalized the purchase of 800,000 tablet PCs.

Meanwhile, the Education Ministry will be in charge of the distribution of the devices to schools across the country, while also seeking a budget for wifi internet installation in schools to support the use of the tablet PCs .

Suchart expects that the tablet PCs will be handed out to first-graders by July.

Meanwhile, Mathayom One students will receive their tablet PCs during the second semester of the 2012 academic year.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-14 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Education Ministry to seek budget for Wi-Fi installation in schools nationwide

BANGKOK, 14 May 2012 (NNT) – The Ministry of Education is set to seek a budget to install wi-fi internet in schools nationwide.

Shame the 30 Billion Baht already budgeted to the ICT Ministry for the already planned free nationwide WiFi scheme is apparently not enough already for the Education Ministry's plan for WiFi coverage of schools nationwide.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

I'm assuming that the sudden cancellation was a mere ploy to get some extra last minute cash into the pockets. They thought they had not received enough on thinking about it in the VIP soapy suite pissed on JW, and called up Scope and asked for a few million baht more. A few weeks of negotiation, several more trips to the soapies later, cash hidden away, and bingo, business time.

I have doubts about the wifi installations .. half of hotels here don't seem to get it together with repeaters or even one simple access point and for them it's a selling point. Who would service and install them, surely not existing school staff ?

GPS tracing content in/on the Internet?

Won't happen, it would imply a always-on Internet connection, ie. a SIM-card in the device and even more difficult, someone taking care of server software for tracking, nigh impossible here. Someone's just got a nifty idea because a GPS chip is included and is blowing hot air.

You're probably right, but that's not really what I was wondering about.

"ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap added that there was no need for parents to worry about misuse because the tablet computers contained Global Positioning System (GPS) to trace users’ contents and their whereabouts."

Using GPS to trace contents?

He added that there was no need for parents to worry about misuse because the tablet computers contained Global Positioning System (GPS) to trace users’ contents and their whereabouts.

He is also positive that the use of government-issued tablet PCs would help lead to creation of constructive online social network in the future.

the-teletubbies.jpg

There will be no Government tracked items of equipment in my house. I am aghast that a Minister could seriously consider that a Government owned network could possibly foster the creation of an effective social network. Is this man partaking in the ear medicine? We should be told.

Meanwhile, ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap confirmed all the teaching contents in the tablet computers had been carefully selected for students.

He added that there was no need for parents to worry about misuse because the tablet computers contained Global Positioning System (GPS) to trace users' contents and their whereabouts.

GPS tracing content in/on the Internet? The whereabouts is on users or on content? Big Brother watching?

Maybe someone with more understanding can explain this part to me?

Don't worry, the minister was just spreading a load of bovine manure. As the name already states the GPS receiver is just that - a receiver. It needs a line-of-sight connection with the satellites of the GPS (or GLONASS) system, an array of some 30-40 satellites orbiting the earth at a height of around 20 kms. Each satellite continuously transmits a navigation message which is picked up by the GPS receiver and translated into a 3D-position, provided there are enough space vehicles in line-of sight with the receiver. GPS does not work indoor.

The receiver does not trigger any interrogation pulses, so it cannot be detected.

And leaving the GPS receiver on in the classroom will quickly drain the batteries.

Meanwhile, ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap confirmed all the teaching contents in the tablet computers had been carefully selected for students.

He added that there was no need for parents to worry about misuse because the tablet computers contained Global Positioning System (GPS) to trace users' contents and their whereabouts.

GPS tracing content in/on the Internet? The whereabouts is on users or on content? Big Brother watching?

Don't worry, the minister was just spreading a load of bovine manure. As the name already states the GPS receiver is just that - a receiver. It needs a line-of-sight connection with the satellites of the GPS (or GLONASS) system, an array of some 30-40 satellites orbiting the earth at a height of around 20 kms. Each satellite continuously transmits a navigation message which is picked up by the GPS receiver and translated into a 3D-position, provided there are enough space vehicles in line-of sight with the receiver. GPS does not work indoor.

The receiver does not trigger any interrogation pulses, so it cannot be detected.

And leaving the GPS receiver on in the classroom will quickly drain the batteries.

Thank you for all that.

It's good to know that ICT Minister Anudith is so knowledgeable on the subject of.... ICT.

He ranks right up there with fellow Cabinet member, Science Minister Plodprasob, whose knowledge of science with his boat propellers impacting the flooded Chao Phraya theory, is world-class.

• Like 1

Thank you for all that.

It's good to know that ICT Minister Anudith is so knowledgeable on the subject of.... ICT.

He ranks right up there with fellow Cabinet member, Science Minister Plodprasob, whose knowledge of science with his boat propellers impacting the flooded Chao Phraya theory, is world-class.

Indeed the ICT minister seems notably clueless about basic ICT functions,

and yet feels so proud about his clearly limited knowledge enough to

confirm publicly the obvious limits of his understanding.

Som nom na!

GPS to trace users contents???

What a tech-twit.

Edited by animatic

<deleted>??? They're only getting a budget for wi-fi now?

Sent from my shoe phone

I am surprised they didn't wait for the computers to arrive and be handed out before they decided to instal wi-fi

WiFi is a plus. The tablet is meant to be a book reader and some animation fun only.

I am one of the top thec=twit you could ever wish to meet

and I am not, just notably clueless, but totally clueless about basic ICT functions. thumbsup.gif

However,if these computers have GPS then could not the good minister track

that these computer are actually going to school.

I know.......I know ........I'm a thec-twit. sad.png

Edited by kevjohn

and I am not, just notably clueless, but totally clueless about basic ICT functions. thumbsup.gif

The GPS is a receiver, not a transmitter. People who believe that the government listens to them through their transistor radios are generally considered to be insane.

I did say that I am a thec-twit.sad.png

When I was a young lad, growing up in the bush, if I wished to talk

to someone then I tied 2 cans onto the ends of a length of string...smile.png

The GPS is a receiver, not a transmitter. People who believe that the government listens to them through their transistor radios are generally considered to be insane.

One would like to imagine that the Minister of ICT would have a working understanding of the majority of ICT devices. Maybe not being a IRDB/Data mining coder or app-ware maven, not knowing Pearl from FORTRAN, but at least having a basic and CORRECT understanding of the IT devices and systems in use commonly in Thailand.

Apparently not.

Edited by animatic

One would like to imagine that the Minister of ICT would have a working understanding of the majority of ICT devices. Maybe not being a IRDB/Data mining coder or app-ware maven, not knowing Pearl from FORTRAN, but at least having a basic and CORRECT understanding of the IT devices and systems in use commonly in Thailand.

Apparently not.

I may have to teach him about the string and the 2 cans wink.png

I may have to teach him about the string and the 2 cans

From receive only to two-way (alternate) communication, a big improvement in itself. As next step we'll try to implement a dialogue mechanism, defined as "talking passed each other as closely as possible"

• Like 1

If the curriculum is so great why can't any of my colleagues read a map? why do they seem to struggle when it comes to critical thinking?

Because neither of those skills are taught in 99.9999% of the classrooms here, nor in 95% of homes.

He added that there was no need for parents to worry about misuse because the tablet computers contained Global Positioning System (GPS) to trace users’ contents and their whereabouts.

He is also positive that the use of government-issued tablet PCs would help lead to creation of constructive online social network in the future.

the-teletubbies.jpg

There will be no Government tracked items of equipment in my house. I am aghast that a Minister could seriously consider that a Government owned network could possibly foster the creation of an effective social network. Is this man partaking in the ear medicine? We should be told.

the-teletubbies.jpg

if you have an ipad youve already got it in your house unless you keep location turned off and if not it is easy to track to within 10 meters Personally i find it useful to track my kids

if you have an ipad youve already got it in your house unless you keep location turned off and if not it is easy to track to within 10 meters Personally i find it useful to track my kids

Your ipad, your house, your kids, your choice. Same same...but very different.

If they are old enough to be aware of this, then you should realise that you are tracking your iPad, not your kids.

• Like 1

There was actually a Thai company offering to supply tablets for this project at $78, cheaper than Scope. Unfortunately they were disqualified because it was supposed to be government to government contract with China, Thais don't need apply. As it happened, the govt-to-govt clause was scrapped after Scope won the auction and no one wanted to hear about that Thai company meddling in serious business again. Oh well, they've won the contract to supply tablets to Lao government instead...

Another interesting thing is that the budget for this project increased as negotiations were dragging on. Everybody assumed that it means Thailand will buy more tablets so what's the harm, but while this part might be true, the actual outcome is not - more tablets doesn't mean more kids will get them, it means Thailand is buying lots of spares to serve the same number or students. While per tablet cost is still $82, the cost per child increased and no one noticed.

Yet another point is that the govt didn't sign a contract for 900,000 tablets, it signed the contract for only about half, and it made this decision in the last minute. Why?

Initially the govt also needed a 30% bank guarantee but then changed it to 5% and when Scope couldn't provide that the govt had to wait for several weeks.

And then there's Education Minister Suchart lurking in the background with his own project to buy tablets for Matayom 1 students. He wants the current Scopad to fail miserably so that ICT ministry that handles it never gets anywhere near Education money again. Then Suchart will go on a buying spree to provide the other ten million children all by himself.

These are all interesting question but we live in a country where no one notices that this is actually One Tablet per One in Ten Children scheme, so who cares about finer details...

Edited by volk666
  • Like 1

There was actually a Thai company offering to supply tablets for this project at $78, cheaper than Scope. Unfortunately they were disqualified because it was supposed to be government to government contract with China, Thais don't need apply. As it happened, the govt-to-govt clause was scrapped after Scope won the auction and no one wanted to hear about that Thai company meddling in serious business again. Oh well, they've won the contract to supply tablets to Lao government instead...

Another interesting thing is that the budget for this project increased as negotiations were dragging on. Everybody assumed that it means Thailand will buy more tablets so what's the harm, but while this part might be true, the actual outcome is not - more tablets doesn't mean more kids will get them, it means Thailand is buying lots of spares to serve the same number or students. While per tablet cost is still $82, the cost per child increased and no one noticed.

Yet another point is that the govt didn't sign a contract for 900,000 tablets, it signed the contract for only about half, and it made this decision in the last minute. Why?

Initially the govt also needed a 30% bank guarantee but then changed it to 5% and when Scope couldn't provide that the govt had to wait for several weeks.

And then there's Education Minister Suchart lurking in the background with his own project to buy tablets for Matayom 1 students. He wants the current Scopad to fail miserably so that ICT ministry that handles it never gets anywhere near Education money again. Then Suchart will go on a buying spree to provide the other ten million children all by himself.

These are all interesting question but we live in a country where no one notices that this is actually One Tablet per One in Ten Children scheme, so who cares about finer details...

The in-fighting between the ICT and Education ministries over who controls the biggest budget for this scam will drive the costs soaring.

Rather than any mutual effort to work together, they pull it in different directions in search of the pile of baht.