Thailand Needs Cricket

I have one in my pocket......ooops not its not its a stump....

Awful

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Yes and I shall retire in disGrace from the thread...

599 for one...

Muted applause as the batsmen leaves the field; he has only himself to blame, it was his call but there was never one there

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where is everybody?? It's like I have turned up at the wrong ground.................

Ummmm...Are we playing at home today??

We had the trials for the cheerleaders squad this morning; where were you?

Please don't tell me they were found guilty.??.

It is very important that our cheer leaders should look innocent even if they have to handle wayward balls...

KJ told me to wait outside while he interviewed each of the cheerleaders individually; I don't know what happened exactly but most of them came out crying

Sorry Boss.......Cant answer that.....sad.png

By the way......an aussie pigeon has just crossed the cricket,,ops...picket line, so things maybe ok now.

What a score.....601.....thank plopmiester for those valuable runsthumbsup.gif ....an Boss....give yeah self a big pat on the back.....clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Where is everybody?? It's like I have turned up at the wrong ground.................

Ummmm...Are we playing at home today??

We had the trials for the cheerleaders squad this morning; where were you?

hang on...hang on..

You can wear your Kilt? now u tell me...

http://www.reallynic...game/pigeon-pie

Sure someone isn't having an after the game snack?

I certainly hope not, but thanks anyway for that interesting link.....thumbsup.gif .

Do you think it will be ok as vegetarion pigeon pie?...ermm.gif

Cant bring myself to cook my ISP Courier Pigeon...sad.png

Edited by kevjohn

Must have been a day lost to inclement weather ... sad013.gif

Sorry ... TiTs ... sad002.gif

It's freezing where I am. Pideons have ice on the wings.....can't lift off the ground, so........ISP down...sad.png

This is one for the Keeper of the RUles...

For Women's Cricket.

Are LadyBoys allowed to play on the women's side? In the national Thai Women's Team?

post-147205-0-08972600-1337589526_thumb.

Well they are allowed to compete in the "Beauty Contests".....wink.png

I certainly hope not, but thanks anyway for that interesting link.....thumbsup.gif .

You get hungry enough and the Pigeon will start looking mightily nice!

Crash

The OP has to keep in mind that for those of us who grew up with sports like ice hockey, cricket is the fastest way to get to sleep. To those who didn't grow up viewing the sport, it's amazingly boring, especially waiting for 5 days to see who wins. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz And let's face it, Thais can (and do) sleep anywhere, so cricket could have a negative effect (he said tongue-in-cheek)

This isn't a criticism of cricket but simply a reminder that for the unacquainted it's not exciting. I truly believe that all pro sports have their points to be appreciated once one observes it long enough to learn the subtleties of it, but to most of us cricket looks like 5 days of the same thing -- a man runs and throws a ball to another man who tries to hit it. If he does hit it, he may not even have to run. There just isn't much substance to the game of cricket that many of us can see.

Edited by Wavefloater

For Women's Cricket.

Are LadyBoys allowed to play on the women's side? In the national Thai Women's Team?

Being a purveyor of images on this thread I've seen most things ... but I've never seen this one.

Source please!

Nice posting thought ... I'm just jealous!

You get hungry enough and the Pigeon will start looking mightily nice!

Crash

Anyone see a white pigeon with BookMan's name on it.

Just want to let him know that, I'm not hungry enough yet, so the Vegetarian pie will be OK.....smile.png

The OP has to keep in mind that for those of us who grew up with sports like ice hockey, cricket is the fastest way to get to sleep. To those who didn't grow up viewing the sport, it's amazingly boring, especially waiting for 5 days to see who wins. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz And let's face it, Thais can (and do) sleep anywhere, so cricket could have a negative effect (he said tongue-in-cheek)

This isn't a criticism of cricket but simply a reminder that for the unacquainted it's not exciting. I truly believe that all pro sports have their points to be appreciated once one observes it long enough to learn the subtleties of it, but to most of us cricket looks like 5 days of the same thing -- a man runs and throws a ball to another man who tries to hit it. If he does hit it, he may not even have to run. There just isn't much substance to the game of cricket that many of us can see.

My......Now I know why I had to change my views on cricket....thumbsup.gif

For Women's Cricket.

Being a purveyor of images on this thread I've seen most things ... but I've never seen this one.

Source please!

A Gentleman never reveals his sources!

and neither do I...wink.png

For Women's Cricket.

Source please!

Yeap.....and so is our umpire...biggrin.png

Wavefloater makes a very good point. And where he can see boredom I can see opportunity!

The Thais love of sleep...and Cricket watchers around the world love of beer. These two elements must be able to be combined into a marketable commodity in Thailand?!

Perhaps, for test matches, fielding in the deep could be changed to 'sleeping in the deep'? A quick nap in the outfield would be popular.

The Batsmen could be incentivised with a bonus scoring system. Every time you hit a sleeping outfielder you get maybe an '8' or something. It would keep the batters going for their shots and amuse the Thai crowd no end when an outfield sleeper gets conked on the head.

Umpires could be allowed to have a beer while on duty. It will make for some interesting decision making and keep the interest in the game all day.

New batsman chaps... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Wavefloater makes a very good point. And where he can see boredom I can see opportunity!

The Thais love of sleep...and Cricket watchers around the world love of beer. These two elements must be able to be combined into a marketable commodity in Thailand?!

Perhaps, for test matches, fielding in the deep could be changed to 'sleeping in the deep'? A quick nap in the outfield would be popular.

The Batsmen could be incentivised with a bonus scoring system. Every time you hit a sleeping outfielder you get maybe an '8' or something. It would keep the batters going for their shots and amuse the Thai crowd no end when an outfield sleeper gets conked on the head.

Umpires could be allowed to have a beer while on duty. It will make for some interesting decision making and keep the interest in the game all day.

You have raised some good points there BookMan, but I do believe that, while having a beer, beer-drinkers like to have something to nibble on.

Maybe we could suggest.....Pie.....sad.png

You have raised some good points there BookMan, but I do believe that, while having a beer, beer-drinkers like to have something to nibble on.

Maybe we could suggest.....Pie.....sad.png

Cheap steady source available too thumbsup.gif

New batsman chaps... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Does this mean we have a full team........thumbsup.gif .......Now to let the real game to begin.....wink.png

This practice game was starting to drag.whistling.gif

Edited by kevjohn

Welcome to the thread and thank you for your input. You have made some excellent points, which you may be surprised to learn are actually (to some extent) in agreement with the views of myself and the other enlightened contributors to this thread.

As you rightly pointed out, many Thai people have an issue with staying awake. This disease will be cured through cricket as they will learn while batting (and while fielding) that a momentary lapse in concentration can result in a rock hard ball in the face and/or embarassment (and in some cases anger from your team mates).

I completely agree that the beauty of cricket is difficult to appreciate for those who have not been exposed to it from an early age, and the benefits will only be fully realised by those who start playing cricket while at primary school; this is why I believe cricket should be part of the Thai school curriculum starting at nursery age.

As already mentioned in the thread, cricket will not provide a quick-fix to all of Thai problems (although some benefits will be seen immediately such as evening nets practice enabling single mothers to pursue meaningful careers), but most of the upside will take generations to be realised.

I think the programme has great potential, as Thai people are open minded and are untarnished by serious fanatical passion for any lesser sports (although some Thais do have a passing interest in some sports). Thailand's potential to benefit from the introduction of cricket is in stark contrast to America, for example, which as I mentioned earlier in the thread is a lost cause.

Edited by brit1984

brit1984 in reply #625....said

I completely agree that the beauty of cricket is difficult to appreciate for those who have not been exposed to it from an early age, and the benefits will only be fully realised by those who start playing cricket while at primary school; this is why I believe cricket should be part of the Thai school curriculum starting at nursery age.

What do yah mean Boss

It has only taken me 10 days......rolleyes.gif

What do yah mean Boss

Sorry Bos....nearly got caught short then...But just to add

Maybe I'm a quick learner because, as they say "Aussie's love sport" even pigeon racing.....thumbsup.gif

edit spelling

Edited by kevjohn

What do yah mean Boss

I suspect you were already a closet cricket aficionado and this thread has provided you with a platform to "come out"

What do yah mean Boss

I suspect you were already a closet cricket aficionado and this thread has provided you with a platform to "come out"

Yeah.....well...I know....I just cant keep secrets.....sad.png

What do yah mean Boss

Yeah.....well...I know....I just cant keep secrets.....sad.png

What are your log-in details for online banking?