Thailand Needs Cricket

... Excellent narrative deleted for the sake of brevity and focus... (can I say 'focus' on the internet?)

It's diligence like this that changes a middle order batsman into a great opener. You are to be commended for seizing an opportunity in life's duller moments to improve your stroke play and provide an example to us all. I applaud you!

It would have been perseverance of such a nature that enabled Denis Compton to rise to the occasion when he scored 278 against Pakistan at Trent Bridge in 1954 - a match I remember well as, I expect, do most of you. Though Denis was not to be honoured by his peers by having a cricket bat named after him, (unlike the great Walter Hammond), history shows that he learned his stroke play when sweeping his father's yard. It was noted of him that "he exhibited an untutored artistry on an exalted level that had to be seen to be believed". I'm sure we'd all agree with that. It was also said "that his sweep, often played brazenly late, was his trademark, although he possessed a sublime cover drive and was an accomplished stroke player all around the wicket". So there's proof, (if proof were needed), that your witches broom could take you to great heights sir.

As a complete aside, I thought the members might be interested to know that in November 1955 his right kneecap was surgically removed and placed in the Lord's museum where it resides to this day - a greatly revered relic which draws pilgrims from all over the cricketing world. Despite this surgery, Denis was able to play his final test against the Old Enemy the following year, scoring 94 and 35 not out.

I was just remarking in another thread the contribution that Cricket could make to the virtuous diligence and perseverence of our host nation.

http://www.thaivisa....75#entry5355302

Although Dennis Compton was never honoured by having a cricket bat named after him, his name his celebrated on the fronts of bin lorries throughout the land.

post-60794-0-08802300-1338640284_thumb.pSurely all of us would be proud to visit Dennis Compton's kneecap at Lord's

SC

TV Cricket

Honouring the knees

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is reported that the Australian cricket team is going on strike

Maybe some of you Aussies could cross the picket line and earn some caps

I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that none of you are in the current squad

Any particular graphics/images that we currently need?

I believe we could use some images on the Cricket bats....

AT the moment I have noticed far too much blank willow facing the cameras.

This is PRIME advertising space!! Every ball bowled and the camera is facing the bat.

We really do have a cracking fleet of vehicles for this team, what with the Roller (the blind roller, if you recall, which will keep even the most unruly wicket in check), the topless bus, a two-horsepower pantechnicon for the DJ's double-decker, an antique bike, now a bin lorry - the Compton; and a coach that drives himself, since his previous driver ran off with the cheerleaders' bus

SC

TV Cricket

More knees than sense

We need a big poster to be displayed on one of those huge billboards close to BKK

It needs to be something that will spark enthusiasm for our mission

We really do have a cracking fleet of vehicles for this team, what with the Roller (the blind roller, if you recall, which will keep even the most unruly wicket in check), the topless bus, a two-horsepower pantechnicon for the DJ's double-decker, an antique bike, now a bin lorry - the Compton; and a coach that drives himself, since his previous driver ran off with the cheerleaders' bus

SC

TV Cricket

More knees than sense

.....and my eeten...

SC

TV Cricket

More knees than sense

I still want the Routemaster

This is PRIME advertising space!! Every ball bowled and the camera is facing the bat.

same for the back of the umpire's head

... Excellent narrative deleted for the sake of brevity and focus... (can I say 'focus' on the internet?)

It's diligence like this that changes a middle order batsman into a great opener. You are to be commended for seizing an opportunity in life's duller moments to improve your stroke play and provide an example to us all. I applaud you!

It would have been perseverance of such a nature that enabled Denis Compton to rise to the occasion when he scored 278 against Pakistan at Trent Bridge in 1954 - a match I remember well as, I expect, do most of you. Though Denis was not to be honoured by his peers by having a cricket bat named after him, (unlike the great Walter Hammond), history shows that he learned his stroke play when sweeping his father's yard. It was noted of him that "he exhibited an untutored artistry on an exalted level that had to be seen to be believed". I'm sure we'd all agree with that. It was also said "that his sweep, often played brazenly late, was his trademark, although he possessed a sublime cover drive and was an accomplished stroke player all around the wicket". So there's proof, (if proof were needed), that your witches broom could take you to great heights sir.

As a complete aside, I thought the members might be interested to know that in November 1955 his right kneecap was surgically removed and placed in the Lord's museum where it resides to this day - a greatly revered relic which draws pilgrims from all over the cricketing world. Despite this surgery, Denis was able to play his final test against the Old Enemy the following year, scoring 94 and 35 not out.

I was just remarking in another thread the contribution that Cricket could make to the virtuous diligence and perseverence of our host nation.

Although Dennis Compton was never honoured by having a cricket bat named after him, his name his celebrated on the fronts of bin lorries throughout the land.

post-60794-0-08802300-1338640284_thumb.pSurely all of us would be proud to visit Dennis Compton's kneecap at Lord's

SC

TV Cricket

Honouring the knees

Thank you for spreading the word

I am trying to work it into the Soy Yoghurt thread but feeling a bit stumped

SC

TV Cricket

More knees than sense

That is a great new avatar u have there SC.

It is an impressive transport fleet you have assembled. I am surprised u have not chosen any hybrid machines (bus/train), such as this beauty.

post-147205-0-15439500-1338641328_thumb.

Can I suggest the TV Cricket emblem with say a sponsors name under or over the emblem

Can I suggest the TV Cricket emblem with say a sponsors name under or over the emblem

A good suggestion, as long as it is BIG.

We will be charging advertising on the bats by the per square centimetre of willow used.

BIG!

We need a big poster to be displayed on one of those huge billboards close to BKK

It needs to be something that will spark enthusiasm for our mission

I left myself open for that ...

We will be charging advertising on the bats by the per square centimetre of willow used.

BIG!

What would be the going rate for the back of the umpire's head?

Edited by kevjohn

Depends on the size of his head

They all have big heads.

Or do u mean the actual physical size??

Maybe some sort of bracket could be invented to attach a billboard to the back of their head

There is actually a name for that ... post-104736-0-24999200-1338642682_thumb.

post-104736-0-64216200-1338642744_thumb.

But the growth industry, particularly because of the Greek crisis and the potential be unveiled there is ...

post-104736-0-97252100-1338642680_thumb.

Now I know that brit1984 will reaffirm that not my prettiest photos ... but it's the hard cold reality of revenue raising.

I still have a few good years of raising left in me, so will lift the knees and get on with it.

BIG!

+1

There is actually a name for that ... post-104736-0-24999200-1338642682_thumb.

post-104736-0-64216200-1338642744_thumb.

But the growth industry, particularly because of the Greek crisis and the potential be unveiled there is ...

post-104736-0-97252100-1338642680_thumb.

Now I know that brit1984 will reaffirm that not my prettiest photos ... but it's the hard cold reality of revenue raising.

I still have a few good years of raising left in me, so will lift the knees and get on with it.

I think we need something with back-lighting to attract the most prestigous (and lucrative) sponsors

Who should we target as sponsors?

SC

TV Cricket

Honouring the knees

Ah! Well if memory serves, that's an unforgiving lady and the logic and commonsense which prevail in this rather beautiful cricket thread would be lost on her. No offence - but she is French, and that puts her at a double disadvantage. Best left alone, I think. She certainly would have no understanding of that "Offside Rule".

I hadn't realised that a whole range of garbage trucks had been named after Denis, and I think he would probably been slightly doubtful about that accolade, even though, in a way, it refers (in a rather oblique manner), to his early training in his father's yard. How many Thais realise this, I wonder? Could it be another Denis they're referring to?

It's getting on in the evening and I've been testing the taste benefits of the 500ml Chang Draft against the 330ml Leo up here in the boonies and have not yet come to a useful conclusion. This became obligatory when bad light and rain stopped play for the day. I'll press on regardless, though, and try to have something useful to offer at tomorrow's discussion, when I'll have some words to say about brits efforts to train his maid.

Because this is an outstanding opportunity for many in Thailand I do get a lot of material spread across my desk ... looking for their 5 minutes of fame ... some are worthy of seven or more minutes.

However, this lass send in her resume.

I think that it is Cheerleading Asian style.

Not what I had in mind ... buy maybe we do need to open out thoughts to new ideas if we are to capture this market.

post-104736-0-06500400-1338643288_thumb.

Warning:- only open if you have good bandwidth.

kevjohn ... this would make your poor pigeons very tired ...

Edited by David48

don't reply ... just testing a file format ...

post-104736-0-06500400-1338643288_thumb.

Sorry, I couldn't resist replying; that post just made me want to do something.

Depends on the size of his head

They all have big heads.

Or do u mean the actual physical size??

Maybe some sort of bracket could be invented to attach a billboard to the back of their head

Have the advertising printed on the umpire's wide brimed hat, then using multiple hats, will increase the sponsership.

Have the advertising printed on the umpire's wide brimed hat, then using multiple hats, will increase the sponsership.

You are a genius... a fantastic idea... and each extra hat can be slightly bigger than the one below (to cater for all sponsors' requirements)

SC

TV Cricket

Honouring the knees

Ah! Well if memory serves, that's an unforgiving lady and the logic and commonsense which prevail in this rather beautiful cricket thread would be lost on her. No offence - but she is French, and that puts her at a double disadvantage. Best left alone, I think. She certainly would have no understanding of that "Offside Rule".

I hadn't realised that a whole range of garbage trucks had been named after Denis, and I think he would probably been slightly doubtful about that accolade, even though, in a way, it refers (in a rather oblique manner), to his early training in his father's yard. How many Thais realise this, I wonder? Could it be another Denis they're referring to?

It's getting on in the evening and I've been testing the taste benefits of the 500ml Chang Draft against the 330ml Leo up here in the boonies and have not yet come to a useful conclusion. This became obligatory when bad light and rain stopped play for the day. I'll press on regardless, though, and try to have something useful to offer at tomorrow's discussion, when I'll have some words to say about brits efforts to train his maid.

Super paragraph usage again

You are a genius... a fantastic idea... and each extra hat can be slightly bigger than the one below (to cater for all sponsors' requirements)

Thanks Boss... ya do realise that I wasn't born yesterday...still have a little up top.

The Team with two hats ...

post-104736-0-69211800-1338644315_thumb.