The Filipinos Are Coming!

Jingthing

It may well be a random coincidence but in the last week I have randomly run into more Filipinos in town than in previous years combined.

I'm happy to see them!

Is there a reason more of them are here now, or in general?

A visa change or something?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have been here for years nothing new

I'll second that, I have met many tourist Phillipino's and also workers, musicians etc. As for visa requirements as far as I know they just need a valid passport and get 30 days tourist on arrival by air and 15 days if arriving at a land border. Go in Funny Girl bar Jing between soi 7 and 8 next to the bella vista hotel and pig and Whistle eatery, A Phillipino Band on most nights of the week playing till late and their freinds regulary turn up.

Edited by MB1

This is nothing, wait until ASEAN happens. The Filipinos are going to OWN every service job in Thailand they are allowed to work.

Won't be surprised if Thailand backs out of ASEAN down the road after so many Thais lose their jobs to the other Asians who are going to pour in here. Thai nationalism and xenophobia is too great to allow all their neighbors to steal their jobs.

I'm seeing a lot more of them. NOW. Of course I realize many work as musicians all over Asia.

I was surprised to find out that there is a Phlipp's mens basketball league with many teams in it, in Pattaya.

How 'happy' are you exactly? Say compared to seeing a new restaurant open?

How excited do you get?

I'm sure that the long-standing Filipino community (many of whom are not musicians), will be thrilled to have received JT's imprimatur.

Edited by Rimmer
Personal attack
  • Like 1

This is nothing, wait until ASEAN happens. The Filipinos are going to OWN every service job in Thailand they are allowed to work.

Won't be surprised if Thailand backs out of ASEAN down the road after so many Thais lose their jobs to the other Asians who are going to pour in here. Thai nationalism and xenophobia is too great to allow all their neighbors to steal their jobs.

The ASEAN agreement is that "skilled workers" will be allow to work in other member countries from 2015. I suspect that when the 10 member countries have agreed a definition of skilled this will be very little impact.

They mostly are loud and annoying people in my opinion...

Thanks for sharing that, but in general they're not nearly as loud as Thais. They're more reserved and shy and don't generally make scenes in public.

Of course this would depend on the type you're meeting. There's a trend now for bargirls in PI to come over here and freelance on 30 day free entries. It's very easy for them to blend in and pretend they're tourists. They have numerous discos to freelance in. I too find these type of Filipinos annoying.

Edited by tropo

Perhaps just a coincidence that I've seen so many Pinoys lately. Like I said, I like it. I can recognize Tagalog but sometimes its harder to tell when Pinoys are speaking other island languages.

It's a coincidence. It's much harder for them to get tourist visas these days and overall the number has probably dropped compared to the last few years.

I used to see them doing those scratch card scams in the touristy areas a while ago. I did hear it was harder for them to get tourist visa's but they can do unlimited border runs to corrupt borders for cheap because they don't need a visa.

Do You Think The Philippinisation Of Pattaya Is A Good Thing Or Not? ermm.gif

Interesting root word there.coffee1.gif

Anyway, sadly it is way too early for a poll of that kind.

i rephrase tongue.png

Do You Think A Potential Future Philippinisation Of Pattaya (based on the assumption it will diminish the ongoing Russification) Is A Good Thing Or Not?

Do You Think The Philippinisation Of Pattaya Is A Good Thing Or Not? ermm.gif

Interesting root word there.coffee1.gif

Anyway, sadly it is way too early for a poll of that kind.

i rephrase tongue.png

Do You Think A Potential Future Philippinisation Of Pattaya (based on the assumption it will diminish the ongoing Russification) Is A Good Thing Or Not?

Well not exactly. I am for a rich diverse mix. The issue I have now with the Russian demographic is that they are showing signs of dominance which is something I don't want to see any group achieve in Pattaya. Well, except Thais of course, but bottom line what makes Pattaya potentially a great city is the diverse international aspect. Reduction of diversity, reduction of richness.

If you're asking me if I would prefer Pinoy dominance to Russian dominance, the answer is yes. Does that make me a bad person?

Edited by Jingthing

The ASEAN agreement is that "skilled workers" will be allow to work in other member countries from 2015. I suspect that when the 10 member countries have agreed a definition of skilled this will be very little impact.

The Philippines has literally thousands of Hotel and Restaurant Management graduates sitting around on their thumbs while looking for work. I am quite sure they are better prepared to work in the service industry catering to English speaking tourists than many Thais in the same position.

Age and sex discrimination is alive and well in the PI. If you go into any mall in the PI, say SM or Ayala, every clerk in every store will most likely have a college degree and they are usually attractive young ladies between the age of 21 - 25. Why you ask? Because they are employed on yearly contracts and know up front that they their contracts will not be renewed after age 25.

I brought my Pinay wife here from PI, best thing I ever did, next I brought her sister here who found her and appreciated her so she is on education visa and goes to school twice a week. My wife is on a spousal visa with my retirement visa. So nice to be able to communicate with them in English and have Christian values. I love her with all my heart.

Where to meet a nice PI girl here in Pattaya? Where do they hang out? I fully agree they are so much more pleasant than their Thai counterparts. And this is not just language related.

The nice ones are back in PI. That's where I would go to score a replacement if that ever became necessary.

Once they travel they change, and not usually for the better.

Edited by tropo