Organic Wine

Maverick

Since arriving here three years ago I have tried to source a wine supplier with a decent choice of organic wines with limited success. I realize this is hardly the most pressing issue on the world stage but to me a glass of organic red is life enhancing. So far I have found one shop opp Emporium that stocks one variety of chilean organic (amongst literally thousands of other wines) and one pub in Thonglor that has one bottle on its menu. Asking Thai suppliers for organic normally results no we dont have that but we do have Australian, French etc etc responses. Its pretty surprising given the quite large organic wine industry worldwide that there is this limited choice (or is it surprising...no second thoughts it isnt) but its hardly a new development.

Hangovers are less severe and as i drink a lot of the red medicine this has become a crusade - anyone out there can throw some light?

Best thing to do, is to look at the labels in the gutters and find what is the most popular with the local winos,in seattle it is pints of apple wine, in Sacramento is is white port or muskatel and portland it is MD20/20 in Inchon it is santori

Dr P,

I raced to Wine Knowledge 101 to find exactly what your technical description means.

Unfortunately, they aren't up with the latest terminology as you are.

:D

Tizzie...Yukky = bad taste now you know. Use your newfound knowledge in any way you see fit :D

I might enjoy a glass or 3 of the good Oz beverage myself at about 8.30 p.m. on Saturday the 7th Feb. Good Doctor....Or a can or so of Chang with you if I lose..I really don't know what I'd like better!! :o

For organic wine read...made with limited (or no) chemicals, pesticides. 'Normal' wine is often contaminated with Sulphur hence the vicious hangovers. French red wine from the south of France is often the most close to natural production I understand (as an alternative). This isnt new -blimey - organic wine is common throughout the wine-drinking world its just here in Bangkok that the revolution seems to have expired. Likewise decent vegetarian alternatives such as fake chicken slices (tofu doesnt get the flu!), fake bacon - no chance..............I emailed the aussie supplier but they replied....sorry we dont ship to Thailand. And I dont mean that fake thai 'vegetarian' rubbish that takes an hour to digest with the texture of old tyre rubber.

The Old Barn on Thonglor have just one organic red on their wine list - its not vintage but is drinkable and reasonably priced (unlike the only other organic wine I found at 1900 baht a bottle - but it is nectar!

Thanks Dr but thai fruit wine has no alcohol (i dont think) and is I suspect unpalatable. 

I will keep looking and let those interested know here at this site over the coming weeks.

It is alcoholic but unpalatatable is an apt description. It tastes a bit like something that'd kill a soi dog. It is available for sale on Campus.

Dr P,

I raced to Wine Knowledge 101 to find exactly what your technical description means.

Unfortunately, they aren't up with the latest terminology as you are.

:D

Tizzie...Yukky = bad taste now you know. Use your newfound knowledge in any way you see fit :D

I might enjoy a glass or 3 of the good Oz beverage myself at about 8.30 p.m. on Saturday the 7th Feb. Good Doctor....Or a can or so of Chang with you if I lose..I really don't know what I'd like better!! :o

One more term won't hurt you Squire. I'll pray for ya :D

A good friend of mine living in Thailand makes his own wine from various local fruits, and they are alcoholic. Perhaps that's an option for you Maveric. I'm in Ireland at the moment and there is a reasonably good choice of Organic wine here. There was one good french one for €6 a pop! Maybe we could start importing? How much wine can one bring to Thailand? I'm on my way over there at the end of Feb... perhaps we could do a deal! :o