"Chocolate" People

ysamui

Stupid bloody question and there is nothing racist in answering it either. Some Thais call Black people Chocolates due to the colour of their skin which can resemble chocolate in colour. So, assuming you already knew or might have guessed it, what is the point of your stupid question or are you really so stupid that this passed you by?

An obvious rhetorical pose - even trollish - from the OP.

The traditional term Negro seems to be the definitive for Thais.

Asked my 43 year old wife the question. she called them Negro and never heard the term Chocolate used for Balck people.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake; I always understood that Falang was Thai for Guava?? There are several types of guava, one of which is the "Thai White" which has white flesh. Seems to be self evident then why caucasians might be called Falang.

Of course no one knows this stuff for sure, but the currently accepted etymology is that we were farang (ferang/ferengi - talk about aliens!) a thousand years before Thais ever saw the guava, so the most likely named the fruit after us, not the other way around.

One of the earliest major European colongial/exploration groups to reach Thailand were the Portuguese in the 16th century, and they brought the guava with them.

Asked my 43 year old wife the question. she called them Negro and never heard the term Chocolate used for Balck people.

Maybe that can be the new code for "my wife wasn't a bar girl" rather than exotic Chinese-Thai. 8-)

Samsiam: "As for the chocolate in the pockets of american soldiers.....what a croc.....a pocket full of chocolate in the tropics.....yeah right."

You were at the war and witnessed that this did not happen?

Or do you simply "know everything"

pretty much...

Jake; I always understood that Falang was Thai for Guava?? There are several types of guava, one of which is the "Thai White" which has white flesh. Seems to be self evident then why caucasians might be called Falang.

Of course no one knows this stuff for sure, but the currently accepted etymology is that we were farang (ferang/ferengi - talk about aliens!) a thousand years before Thais ever saw the guava, so the most likely named the fruit after us, not the other way around.

One of the earliest major European colongial/exploration groups to reach Thailand were the Portuguese in the 16th century, and they brought the guava with them.

Very interesting that the fruit name may have derived from the slang for white man in Thailand! I hadn't heard that particular take on it before; thanks for the research.

Edited by canman

Maybe that can be the new code for "my wife wasn't a bar girl" rather than exotic Chinese-Thai. 8-)

lol

IMO its just slang when they say "chocolate man" like some of the derogatory nicknames they even say about each other (Thais) it would be interesting to play a game of charades with a Thai because they literally say What they see! But getting back on topic the "chocolate man" thing is just a derogatory lazy racist terminology but Thais are not the the most subtle in their words, and just don't tell a Thai a secret if you want it to remain a secret!

Very interesting that the fruit name may have derived from the slang for white man in Thailand! I hadn't heard that particular take on it before; thanks for the research.

Actually I didn't do the research, just random factoids collected over the years. In this case 12 years ago when my first teerak made a joke about farang eating farang. And yes of course I was using Altavista, but I hear something called Google has been making great inroads lately. . .

lol

You've been a great audience thank you thank you

intheclub.gif

Im watching this thread, and so far seeing mostly negative posts - and frankly dont see it getting better

whatever the intention of the OP with the question...well, you arent getting any answer to the question, and given the rest are mostly negative, non relevant or posts slagging off someone or the other, I am closing this thread.

have a good Monday!