"Chocolate" People

ysamui

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard it several times. The reasons are pretty obvious, but now for the never discussed before question why are white folks called farangs ?

More to the point ive been building a house for 2 months and despite me telling the staff I have a name and telling them my name they keep saying farang .

I just gonna call em asians or summat

Why are you building a house that you never ever will own ?

Possibly.....maybe....like I did.....to sell and make 6mil on it.

Since Obama took office it has become fashionable for wealthy Thai Chinese women in Bangkok to have a "chocolate gik". If you hang around lower sukhumwit late at night you can see high model benz and bmws slowing down and very attractive, well educated women dressed to the nines in diamonds and pearls getting out and wandering around looking for their own little Snickers bar. They call it "Candy Shopping". There was an interesting article about this in the last issue of Thai Vogue.

This sort of thing was going on long before Obama took office, but the kind of women you're describing make their arrangements in a much safer and more discreet way than that.

But to date, not one person has been able to answer the first and most difficult question. Nor can I.

The history or origin of the use of the term."Chocolate" has not been answered or even mentioned.

Perhaps the exact origin is not known and never will be. If that is the conclusion, fine, so be it.

But not knowing the answer and then abusing the person who asked the question... I will allow you to come to your own conclusions.

Actually it has. The origin of the term comes from the fact that the skin color matches the foodstuff. That is all, and it's not considered offensive.

There doesn't need to be a specific time or event, both factors have been in Thailand for quite some time now, but I suspect it might have become common during the Vietnam era when both were brought over by the Yanks in quantity, and in fact their upcountry progeny are now into the second maybe third generations now.

Whenever a Thai girl complains about how dark her skin is (fishing) I tell her I like it, it's the colour of honey and sweet just like her (and yes most of the time they reply "like your mouth").

I've heard it several times. The reasons are pretty obvious, but now for the never discussed before question why are white folks called farangs ?

More to the point ive been building a house for 2 months and despite me telling the staff I have a name and telling them my name they keep saying farang .

I just gonna call em asians or summat

Why are you building a house that you never ever will own ?

Possibly.....maybe....like I did.....to sell and make 6mil on it.

You can buy 2 rai of rice land around my area for that..................

But to date, not one person has been able to answer the first and most difficult question. Nor can I.

The history or origin of the use of the term."Chocolate" has not been answered or even mentioned.

Perhaps the exact origin is not known and never will be. If that is the conclusion, fine, so be it.

But not knowing the answer and then abusing the person who asked the question... I will allow you to come to your own conclusions.

Actually it has. The origin of the term comes from the fact that the skin color matches the foodstuff. That is all, and it's not considered offensive.

There doesn't need to be a specific time or event, both factors have been in Thailand for quite some time now, but I suspect it might have become common during the Vietnam era when both were brought over by the Yanks in quantity, and in fact their upcountry progeny are now into the second maybe third generations now.

Whenever a Thai girl complains about how dark her skin is (fishing) I tell her I like it, it's the colour of honey and sweet just like her (and yes most of the time they reply "like your mouth").

Please, no more arguments. Maybe a debate is ok lol

The word origin means: something from which anything is derived, the source.

Dictionary: "Rise or derivation from a particular source: the origin of a word"

The reason has been answered, the origin has not.

I did not ask these 2 questions to start an argument or to be verbally abused.

I have been accused of trolling, posting a rhetorical question and have been told I am as "thick as a post" and "stupid"

Welcome to Thai Visa Forums ysamui! Unfortunately, this behaviour is to be expected when you get such a large number of sad, pathetic men, hiding behind their anonymity, in one place. If they can't prove that they're better than you, they'll just abuse you. Don't let them get to you, there are some decent folk on here.

Edit: ^ case in point. Here's a tip Pseudolus: if you have nothing constructive to add, go troll in another thread!

OK Jimbo

So let's answer his first question for him; the etymology of the word Chocolate.

c.1600, from Nahuatl xocolatl, possibly from xocolia "to make bitter" + atl "water." Brought to Spain by 1520, from thence to the rest of Europe. Originally a drink; as a paste or cake made of ground, roasted cacao seeds, 1640s.

To a Coffee-house, to drink jocolatte, very good [Pepys, "Diary," Nov. 24, 1664].

There you go. Then used as a way of describing black people because there skin tone sometimes is the same colour as chocolate.

Is that better for you?

Edited by Pseudolus

I have been accused of trolling, posting a rhetorical question and have been told I am as "thick as a post" and "stupid"

Welcome to Thai Visa Forums ysamui! Unfortunately, this behaviour is to be expected when you get such a large number of sad, pathetic men, hiding behind their anonymity, in one place. If they can't prove that they're better than you, they'll just abuse you. Don't let them get to you, there are some decent folk on here.

Edit: ^ case in point. Here's a tip Pseudolus: if you have nothing constructive to add, go troll in another thread!

OK Jimbo

So let's answer his first question for him; the etymology of the word Chocolate.

c.1600, from Nahuatl xocolatl, possibly from xocolia "to make bitter" + atl "water." Brought to Spain by 1520, from thence to the rest of Europe. Originally a drink; as a paste or cake made of ground, roasted cacao seeds, 1640s.

To a Coffee-house, to drink jocolatte, very good [Pepys, "Diary," Nov. 24, 1664].

There you go. Then used as a way of describing black people because there skin tone sometimes is the same colour as chocolate.

Is that better for you?

• Like 1

Since Obama took office it has become fashionable for wealthy Thai Chinese women in Bangkok to have a "chocolate gik". If you hang around lower sukhumwit late at night you can see high model benz and bmws slowing down and very attractive, well educated women dressed to the nines in diamonds and pearls getting out and wandering around looking for their own little Snickers bar. They call it "Candy Shopping". There was an interesting article about this in the last issue of Thai Vogue.

Might have to go stand on the sidewalk and paint my face a tad darker.

There was an article recently about the african soccer players being dumped here with no funds and they complaining they have to resort to pay for sex to make ends meet....some said they have to do it 3 or 4 times a day.

link to article?

I've usually heard chocolate man in bar and other tourist areas. Normally the word negro is used in my experience, or the more offensive version of that, or just khon dam. I think bar girls say chocolate man because it goes over better than the alternatives

The term has nothing to do with skin colour.

The history of the term comes from the US troops taking their R&R here during the Vietnam conflict.

The black soldiers would usually have their pockets full of chocolate to give to their Thai 'girlfriends'. Hence the phrase, "Here comes the chocolate man"

The white soldiers preferred to give fruit. Hence the phrase "Hello farang. Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?".

I believe the source of all confusion comes from the classic scene in Full Metal Jacket.

Read it and learn the origin of many terms now used in Thailand today. Stanley Kubrick was a cinematic genius.

[media=]

[/media]

Tis a classic scene

OK Jimbo

Is that better for you?

Have you never seen white chocolate?

OK Jimbo

Is that better for you?

Have you never seen white chocolate?

How common is white chocolate in Thailand compared to brown?

The term has nothing to do with skin colour.

The history of the term comes from the US troops taking their R&R here during the Vietnam conflict.

The black soldiers would usually have their pockets full of chocolate to give to their Thai 'girlfriends'. Hence the phrase, "Here comes the chocolate man"

The white soldiers preferred to give fruit. Hence the phrase "Hello farang. Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?".

I can not speak for these Thai "girlfriends" you mentioned above, however, I am very glad to hear from you.

Thank-you very much for giving me an intelligent answer to what I considered a reasonable question.

As I suggested earlier, there is in fact an "origin" for the use of this term. As there is for the majority of words and terms we use in every-day conversations.

Your answer makes complete fools of the arrogant, socially inept narcissists that made anonymous derogatory posts earlier in this topic.

I do not understand the motives of such people. Perhaps it is the anonymity that gives them the courage?

If you do not like a topic or have nothing constructive to add isn't it logical to move your mousse to the "next topic" icon, click on it, and simply move on?

Edited by ysamui
  • Like 1

i beg to differ, i am not "hiding behind my anonymity". I am reveling in it.

the question is either thick or disingenuous

Edited by nocturn

I always thought it was down to skin colour but I've seen quite a few Thais who are darker than I am so maybe chickenslegs' explanation is right.

Either way, I've always found the "Chocolate Man" greeting from many Thai girls to be highly amusing.

I always thought it was down to skin colour but I've seen quite a few Thais who are darker than I am so maybe chickenslegs' explanation is right.

Either way, I've always found the "Chocolate Man" greeting from many Thai girls to be highly amusing.

How do you respond to them after they say "hello chocolate man"?...

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Smile

Smile

given the constant parallels between sex and chocolate across many cultures, i would be hard pressed to be insulted too.

being 'different' can open as many gates as it presents obstacles.

Edited by nocturn

I have heard some Thai people say it and I asked my boyfriend as to why they refer black people to chocolate and his reply was "The same reason we refer to you as farang. You are farang and black people have the same colour skin as chocolate." - Quite a simple and logical answer really.

same as farang dam,not racist in the slightest

Because the word "farang" comes from the Thai translation for French hence "European" but as we know not all of us hail from Europe but Thais generalise us all as "farangs" even if your from australia or England or Nigeria, we're all just "farangs" to Thais and it has nothing to do with the colour of our skin