Cheap Rabies Shots In Pattaya/Jomtien?

Endorphin

Agreed, its very poor advise that any google search will yield as being totally inaccurate.

There is a tremendous un-vaccinated stray dog population and rabies is pretty much everywhere. I seriously doubt Pattaya does not have rabies and no doctor in Thailand would recommend to not have the shots if bitten by a dog. I was actually bitten by my own dog who was vaccinated and the nurse suggested I get the first shots at least, as she pointed out, no vaccination is 100% effective and frankly, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yes, I have seen rabid dogs and yes there have been deaths of people who have not gotten the shots in Thailand but again, I don't know of any doctor who isn't aware of the existence of rabies in this country and I sincerely doubt any of them would ever recommend to not get the shots.

Chiang Mai, I would suggest that before posting medically dangerous information, you research first.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9593486

The prevalence of canine and human rabies in Thailand has decreased significantly during the last decade. This has been associated with an increasing number of human post-exposure treatments. Educational efforts, mass vaccination of dogs and cats and the use of safe and effective vaccines have all made an impact. The proportion of fluorescent antibody positive dogs, among those examined for rabies averaged 54% indicating that rabies is still a major public health threat. Canine rabies vaccination is not usually performed in animals < 3 months old. However, this study revealed that 14% of rabid dogs were < 3 months old and 42% were < or = 6 months old. This is the age group most likely to interact with humans and other dogs. Our study also supports the World Health Organization's recommendation that observing suspected rabid dogs for 10 days is an adequate and safe practice.

What did I post that is medically dangerous, I did no such thing, absolute nonesence!

Any Govt. vet working in any given area or locality in Thailand would be aware of any instance of rabies in his/her area. It is a reportable and monitored disease. Yes you are living in a third world country ,not to be confused with western society so you take your chances, if there is no instance of the disease in any locality the chances it does not exist,different basis if it is considered widespread and is part and parcel of life as exists in other countries.

However there is just a chance that as another poster suggested of a dog with rabies in some far flung place in Thailand took to the idea that it was in for the BIG E ,took a plane ride out of the area ,parachuted into Pattaya and trying for its escape here.

You are spouting absolute nonsense.

Yes, if a person came down with rabies the doctor would have to report it, but that almost never happens because every Thai and more importantly every doctor in Thailand knows that rabies is endemic to Thailand and gives the necessary post exposure vaccinations. And since there has never been any reported cases of anyone coming down with rabies after having had the recommended vaccinations, reported cases of rabies in humans are indeed very rare.

Even the smallest clinic in Thailand have the rabies vaccine, whch should tell you something about whether there are rabies in Thailand or not. I was bitten myself by a dog that was very likely infected with rabies (sudden change of personality from being friendly and shy, to running around and agressively bting both other dogs and people), and got the first injections here for the very modest fee of 100 baht at the local health centre where they had the vaccine at the ready. The subsequent follow up jabs I had to have back home, were the serum had to be special ordered at the Serum Institute, because by home country is rabies free.

The above doesn't mean that a large percentage of the dogs in Thailand will contract rabies, it's actually quite a rare disease. But because the consequences are so severe, any bite from dogs/cats should be taken seriously, and unless you know that the animal has had it's rabies vaccinations you should go get the vaccine.

Sophon

I quoted VET,you quote DOCTOR,it is you with nonsense . Any quotation of animal rabies estimations from you over recent times in the Pattaya area or is it not so endemic?,yes fully aware of potential,but also fully aware of lightening strike too.

The onset of rabies once discovered is easily manageable and dealt with in the small cluster it was diagnosed in,not to be confused with distemper if the animal recently seen is found dead/dying or showing other positive signs of stress ,which is often seen as possible rabies outbreak

Yes,been bitten many times by rabid/non-rabid ,not that I'm wearing any medals for it,anyway looking at the old buggers here in Thailand they should all outlive any rabies infection and die of old age.

I feel that for the small cost involved and the very real possibility of rabies existing here it would be wrong to ignore the risk and not to get shots.

I was badly bitten by a beautiful Siamese but feral cat just outside my gates, I had the shots at the small government hospital not far from us but the scary thing is that one week later that cat was lying dead outside our wall.

Get the shots whatever they might cost, its foolhardy not to!!

The cat obviously didn't have it's anti-Rimmer shots!!

I feel that for the small cost involved and the very real possibility of rabies existing here it would be wrong to ignore the risk and not to get shots.

I was badly bitten by a beautiful Siamese but feral cat just outside my gates, I had the shots at the small government hospital not far from us but the scary thing is that one week later that cat was lying dead outside our wall.

cheesy.gif

cheesy.gif

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Agreed, its very poor advise that any google search will yield as being totally inaccurate.

There is a tremendous un-vaccinated stray dog population and rabies is pretty much everywhere. I seriously doubt Pattaya does not have rabies and no doctor in Thailand would recommend to not have the shots if bitten by a dog. I was actually bitten by my own dog who was vaccinated and the nurse suggested I get the first shots at least, as she pointed out, no vaccination is 100% effective and frankly, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yes, I have seen rabid dogs and yes there have been deaths of people who have not gotten the shots in Thailand but again, I don't know of any doctor who isn't aware of the existence of rabies in this country and I sincerely doubt any of them would ever recommend to not get the shots.

Chiang Mai, I would suggest that before posting medically dangerous information, you research first.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9593486

The prevalence of canine and human rabies in Thailand has decreased significantly during the last decade. This has been associated with an increasing number of human post-exposure treatments. Educational efforts, mass vaccination of dogs and cats and the use of safe and effective vaccines have all made an impact. The proportion of fluorescent antibody positive dogs, among those examined for rabies averaged 54% indicating that rabies is still a major public health threat. Canine rabies vaccination is not usually performed in animals < 3 months old. However, this study revealed that 14% of rabid dogs were < 3 months old and 42% were < or = 6 months old. This is the age group most likely to interact with humans and other dogs. Our study also supports the World Health Organization's recommendation that observing suspected rabid dogs for 10 days is an adequate and safe practice.

What did I post that is medically dangerous, I did no such thing, absolute nonesence!

My bad, it was 23962323 who posted incorrect and dangerous advice not chiang mai

And why would an Immigration Office be doing rabies shots anyway?

Because it is an international port.....I mentioned yellow fever jabs in my mail....NONE! of the private hospitals had a stock but PIT recommended I went to the port authorities. Yep they had it in their fridge and me and the missus were given it there and then. It really didn't cost that much so I gave him 100 baht extra for his lunch...

"And why would an Immigration Office be doing rabies shots anyway?"

Because it is an international port.....

OK. So using the same logic I suppose they have hookers and tattoo artists also?

I would expect Immigration in an international port to have a clinic nearby but not to perform the task themselves.

If there are no reported cases in the area the chances of rabies are slight to impossible.

my personal experience, was bitten about 9 months ago and had all the shots.

was bitten again about 1 month ago, could not find any information if i needed shots again so decided that i do not, as some sites said vaccine works for up to 3 years.

3 days after the bite, started to have huge headaches, very light headed, paranoid and felt like i had a fever, though i did not.

on the 4th day, decided to see a doctor.

was told MUST have 2 shots after each bite even though had already had the full cycle of shots. booster is needed.

after having the 2 shots, all the "sickness" went away.

PS. i am not scared of dogs as i have 3 myself, so this was not a case of some mental problem

PPS. OP local clinics are cheaper for shots, expect to pay around 400-500, though Thai doctors really do JEBB IT IN :)

Edited by phl
  • Like 1

If there are no reported cases in the area the chances of rabies are slight to impossible.

was bitten again about 1 month ago, could not find any information if i needed shots again so decided that i do not, as some sites said vaccine works for up to 3 years.

3 days after the bite, started to have huge headaches, very light headed, paranoid and felt like i had a fever, though i did not.

was told MUST have 2 shots after each bite even though had already had the full cycle of shots. booster is needed.

PS. i am not scared of dogs as i have 3 myself, so this was not a case of some mental problem

PPS. OP local clinics are cheaper for shots, expect to pay around 400-500, though Thai doctors really do JEBB IT IN smile.png

Sounds like your life was saved by the second shot,I think not. Firstly need to check if the anti rabies is on the WHO approved list,if in doubt have another beer

Used to round 'em up,cage 'em up (the rabid dogs) vaccinate myself after every bite with crap stuff, when both arms were too painful into the backside,try it ,wonderful experience,worst part coming across a villager in the final stages writhing on the floor,used to drag them to a bit of shade and leave them there,nothing else could I do.

You have to die of something,what's wrong with rabies?

PPS. OP local clinics are cheaper for shots, expect to pay around 400-500, though Thai doctors really do JEBB IT IN smile.png

Sounds like your life was saved by the second shot,I think not. Firstly need to check if the anti rabies is on the WHO approved list,if in doubt have another beer

Used to round 'em up,cage 'em up (the rabid dogs) vaccinate myself after every bite with crap stuff, when both arms were too painful into the backside,try it ,wonderful experience,worst part coming across a villager in the final stages writhing on the floor,used to drag them to a bit of shade and leave them there,nothing else could I do.

You have to die of something,what's wrong with rabies?

do you actually know what rabies is? and how it affects the body?

• Like 1

"And why would an Immigration Office be doing rabies shots anyway?"

Because it is an international port.....

OK. So using the same logic I suppose they have hookers and tattoo artists also?

I would expect Immigration in an international port to have a clinic nearby but not to perform the task themselves.

Aaaah I get your point..We weren't injected by a uniformed officer at the desk......but ( bizarre memories are coming back) by a fellow sitting at his desk in an office of 3....The other 2 just got on with typing or chatting on the phone whilst we were dealt with...

Another bizarre memory has hit me...I worked around China from 92 to 94. A rabies jab was recommended and subsequentlly taken....Two friends joined me but only had time for the first jab so the UK clinic gave then the other 2. They flew into Beijing then straight off to the boonies and they injected eachother when they were due...

...So perhaps the OP can just buy the medicine and get a BG to do it cheap..!!

Another bizarre memory has hit me...I worked around China from 92 to 94. A rabies jab was recommended and subsequentlly taken....Two friends joined me but only had time for the first jab so the UK clinic gave then the other 2. They flew into Beijing then straight off to the boonies and they injected eachother when they were due...

...So perhaps the OP can just buy the medicine and get a BG to do it cheap..!!

i think its the actual medicine that cost the most, doctors fees are the cheapest part.

When i had mine done after the first bite, Dr Olivier charges 600 per shot, clinic on pattaya tai charged 550, but clinic in soi siam country was only 400(from memory)

Go to the Government clinic on Soi Buakhaow at the front of the fire-station. I had a tetanus shot and the first of the rabies shots at the Memorial and that cost me 1700 baht which included 700 baht for a doctor I didn't see! In Soi Buakhaow the subsequent shots were 400 baht a time.

• Like 1

Cheapest shots so far are in Pattaya International Hospital for 670 while Memorial hospital charges 1560 and a private clinic in Jomtien 1000.

The dog that bit me is still there, saw it today hanging out with other dogs some were wearing a collar. I recognized, it has hair coming out of its back and was barking like crazy.

Cheapest shots so far are in Pattaya International Hospital for 670 while Memorial hospital charges 1560 and a private clinic in Jomtien 1000.

The dog that bit me is still there, saw it today hanging out with other dogs some were wearing a collar. I recognized, it has hair coming out of its back and was barking like crazy.

That sounds like some of the symptoms for rabies so it is good you got the shots, I would pay someone to put the dog to sleep before it bites anyone else.

Hair coming off its back is mange. Barking like crazy can be pretty normal dog behavior.

The rabid dogs I have seen have only been in the "mad dog" stage briefly and they usually attack people, cars, bikes etc. and you can see trembling and other odd behavior. Once that stage is over they become very stiff and have difficulty moving, then paralysis sets in and they die.

http://www.healthcom.../symptoms.shtml

Hair coming off its back is mange

Also contagious, isn't it?

Hair coming off its back is mange

Also contagious, isn't it?

yes 90% of falang males suffer from mange

If you need to ask a question about price......

You must have contracted rabies already

Sorry Pal ...but you are playing russian roulette.

The money you are trying to save you won't need

You will be DEAD

Really hope you follow up There is not a lot of difference on the prices. In the UK just now a woman who got bit by a dog is S Asia is being treated for rabies.

Its India,all over the place,common as muck.....the individual could well have been vaccinated in India,but where the fakes are faked ,all to no avail.

Kept 3 dogs there,two bitches which I had sterilised and shots after it, forgot about the males shots,really good dog too,came down one morning and knew he had rabies,was fighting in himself to be the dog he had been, to the dog he was becoming,took me 3 hours to finish him off, just couldn't believe it, years later I still remember him,gets upsetting