Transport Charge From Cm Airport To Tapae Gate

healthcaretaker

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re ..

It is a standard 120 baht set charge from the Airport to anywhere downtown using one of the limousines at the airport

hes right : )

see top left on the board .. but they may have gone up a bit since december 10 ?

dave2

post-42592-0-65674700-1336928581_thumb.j

If someone has to be that concerned about the cost of getting from the airport to town they probably can't afford to be here.

Poopy cock, it is not about the affording it, its about making sure you get the price right, if too many people start paying too much, pretty soon that will become the price, but it won't be the price for everyone, it will be "Farang price" is that what you want?

In answer to the question though, Tuk Tuks will probably go to 80 baht if you really wanted to haggle, but 100 baht is usual, and the price is the same how ever many people go.

The rate for a tuk tuk is whatever you can negotiate and think is reasonable, 100 baht from the airport to Thapae Gate seems a little high, 300 baht is the rate reserved for guilable tourists. As previously mentioned the flat rate for a taxi between those two points is 140 baht regardless of how many occupants, a tuk tuk is not a taxi however and the rate should be much less. Having said those things, try getting a tuk tuk from Thapae Gate to Watkate on a Sunday evening, it's a fairly short distance but the charge will always be quoted as 80 baht or more, ditto the fare from Airport Mall to inside the moat, cartels are rampant and unknowing newbies are easily spotted. The answer is perseverance and trying to spot a lone operator who is away from the pack and hopefully hungry (for business).

BTW Pikey, the official flat rate for TT's is 40 baht so if you're paying 100 baht you're doing nobody any favors.

Edited by chiang mai

Airport limo is currently 120 bath. I use them all the time

Cheaper than tuktuk consider the air con the safty the space etc..

Ok thanks,

Isn't it tuk-tuk for 100 baht too costly then ? I never know a taxi is just 120.

How about from city to airport ? Is the rate the same ?

• Like 1

Did this trip by songtheaw alone the other day. Negotiated a 30 baht fare.

You did amazingly well.

Songthaw's are not exactly lined up at CM Airport!

If you only have one bag, walk out in front of the airport entrance and they are easy to get for 20 baht to Thapae Gate.

You did amazingly well.

If you only have one bag, walk out in front of the airport entrance and they are easy to get for 20 baht to Thapae Gate.

Right, as on any road in Chiang Mai if flagged down. I was working on the assumption that the person required transport from the airport itself....in which case Songthaew's are rare.

BTW Pikey, the official flat rate for TT's is 40 baht so if you're paying 100 baht you're doing nobody any favors.

I would like to see a "white face" getting a Tuk Tuk anywhere for 40 baht !! not a chance pal.

I pay that rate on a reglular basis, inside the moat, the problem arises when the would be passenger a) doesn't speak Thai, and B) asks what the rate is before they agree the ride, that way the TT driver knows that the farang doesn't know what the flat rate is, pal!

• Like 1

I was working on the assumption that the person required transport from the airport itself....in which case Songthaew's are rare.

Very true. It is good luck indeed if you find one dropping someone off. However, the city bus stops right in front of the airport front doors fairly often, so that is another cheap option if you only have a small bag.

I would like to see a "white face" getting a Tuk Tuk anywhere for 40 baht !! not a chance pal.

the problem arises when the would be passenger a) doesn't speak Thai, and cool.png asks what the rate is before they agree the ride,

In reality, this is the majority.

the problem arises when the would be passenger a) doesn't speak Thai, and cool.png asks what the rate is before they agree the ride,

I agree it is, but that doesn't prevent the rest of us from pushing the point with the TT drivers and enforcing what is otherwise an accepted standard.

• Like 1

Right. Because once smart enough to speak 3 words of Thai, they're also smart enough to avoid tuk tuks.

• Like 1

You did amazingly well.

Right, as on any road in Chiang Mai if flagged down. I was working on the assumption that the person required transport from the airport itself....in which case Songthaew's are rare.

During the day I doubt you need to wait longer than 10 minutes? People do take them to the airport, and once there the driver has a choice of going back empty, or taking your 30-40 baht. Most will opt for the latter.

Right. Because once smart enough to speak 3 words of Thai, they're also smart enough to avoid tuk tuks.

Aint that the truth!

I've found transport rates from the airport vary wildly depending upon the time of day, how many bags you have, the weather and how long you're willing to wait.

It's almost impossible to find a song thaew there if you come in on a flight that arrives late, late in the evening. I've paid everything from 20 baht (no bags, spoke Thai, middle of the afternoon, empty songthaew returning to the city) to 150 baht for a tuk-tuk late at night.

If someone has to be that concerned about the cost of getting from the airport to town they probably can't afford to be here.

Poopy cock, it is not about the affording it, its about making sure you get the price right, if too many people start paying too much, pretty soon that will become the price, but it won't be the price for everyone, it will be "Farang price" is that what you want?

In answer to the question though, Tuk Tuks will probably go to 80 baht if you really wanted to haggle, but 100 baht is usual, and the price is the same how ever many people go.

I agree. While I could pay 500 baht for the taxi trip to town I certainly wouldn't want to. For me it's always a flat fare of 120 baht from the airport to town.

When a taxi only costs 120 Baht, I can't imagine anyone grubbing around looking for a Songthaew for 30-40 baht. Each to their own though.

It sounds like you have never had the misfortune of working as an English teacher in Thailand. biggrin.png

You did amazingly well.

Neither are tuk tuk's.

I wonder how many of these experts on prices of tuk tuk's and songtel's use them as a regular means of transportation, I would be willing to bet that they think prices should be the same as five years ago. Beats me how he got by all the taxi's with the set rate of 120 baht or 140 baht to the night bazaar to find a tuk tuk.

The dfference between tuk tuks and the songthaews, is not just the fare.

yes you will pay generally more in aTT but you get to your destination like sh1t off a shovel, "a la" rollercoaster. so if your in a rush, then its worth it.

In songthaew, the cheap fare means the driver has to take the longest route possible so he has the widest options of collecting more fares.

This i found out, going from Nimmen to Thapae, normally 10 mins tops and no junctions.

In songthaew it, goes down Suthep, then calls around wat Phra singh, then chedi luang, back down walking street, then to kings monument, then back onto the moat. 30bt yes, but a sore arse and everything shut when you get there.

You did amazingly well.

While that is true he might have to wait a while for a Songtell at that part of town. Seems to me to be a long walk with baggage to stand and wait for a songtell that may not be going where you want to go or might want forty baht. As a frequent user of songtels I know that there are times when they are already headed for destinations the other way and will not even give you a price they just say no.

Inside the moat try that from the night bazaar to the air port mall. You will have one screaming tuk tuk driver and be a contributor to the reason some Thai's don't want us here.

Edited by hellodolly