Mri And Bypass Chest Wires

JAS21

I had a bypass in 1993. In the UK I had an MRI on my left shoulder in about 2000, I can't remember any problems in having it.

Now I want an MRI on my right shoulder, suspected Rotator Cuff problem. My wife phoned Urupong Medical Centre only to be told that they couldn't do it because I still have my chest wires in ... I think three lots of wires.

Any views on this please..........thanks

As robblok stated, the MRI uses extremely powerful magnetic fields and any ferrite metal in the body can be disastrous. Even non-ferrous (non-magnetic) metals can be effected with high enough field.

I am a little unclear what you mean by "wires"in place after a bypass. Do you perhaps mean stent plaecement rarher than a bypass?

If stents, it depends on the exact device placed and you need to contact the doctor/hospital who perfromed the procedure and find out if the stents you have are nonferromagnetic, weakly ferromagnetic or ferromagnetic. The first type = no problem for MRI, the second type = can do MRI iof necessary after a certain amount of time has passed.

Most stents made after 2007 are nonferromagnetic, but as your procedure was long before that, yours may have magnetic properties. It is essential to confirm this one way or the other.

This is assuming it is stents that you have. If you really had a bypass prcedure then I am unclear what the "wires"are you refer to.

I am a little unclear what you mean by "wires"in place after a bypass. Do you perhaps mean stent plaecement rarher than a bypass?

If stents, it depends on the exact device placed and you need to contact the doctor/hospital who perfromed the procedure and find out if the stents you have are nonferromagnetic, weakly ferromagnetic or ferromagnetic. The first type = no problem for MRI, the second type = can do MRI iof necessary after a certain amount of time has passed.

Most stents made after 2007 are nonferromagnetic, but as your procedure was long before that, yours may have magnetic properties. It is essential to confirm this one way or the other.

This is assuming it is stents that you have. If you really had a bypass prcedure then I am unclear what the "wires"are you refer to.

Thanks Sheryl .... the chest wires ... I had three lots that held the chest bone together whilst fusing. They break it down the middle ... pull the left side up a bit! do the grafts or whatever and then push the chest bone back down to meet the right side .. wrap wire around the two half bones to hold them inplace until they fuse... hurts like the proverbial if you cough before they have fused!

I can't remember having a problem when they MRId my left shoulder in the UK many years ago. The MRI company here want a letter from my doctor over here to say it's OK to MRI.

What you have are called "sternal closure wires", the hospital may have assumed (as I did) that you were talking about stents.

These usually do not present a contraindication to MRI. But to be sure, check back with the original surgeon.

the Titanium clamps in my chestbone (after open heart surgery) are paramagnetic and do indeed react when an external magnetic field is applied. however, i was told that the reaction is not dangerous at all and there are no objections as far as an MRI is concerned.

Thank you ... it was my wife that spoke to two companies and she knows what the wires are. The surgeon didn't use pacing wires anyway so no chance that I have those. I'll e-mail the consultant although he may have retired by now! .........................thanks

the Titanium clamps in my chestbone (after open heart surgery) are paramagnetic and do indeed react when an external magnetic field is applied. however, i was told that the reaction is not dangerous at all and there are no objections as far as an MRI is concerned.

i had the same as naam open heart surgery,i had clamps to close my chest bone,but i remember wires coming out of my belly [still have the scars] checked all the info given to me late[2007] no mention of any dangers.