Luggage Check

Arrival upon swampy, anyone has been checked their luggage? My friends always go through smoothly. Perhaps I'm unlucky. The staff ask me to put through my bag to scan during my last trip to LOS. This time round I'm bringing 2 big bag with lots of stuff. Some Chinese dried food as well. Is it allow? And during scanning, does they really able to see our cash (I mean in the bag)? Has anyone got his cash confiscated because of the amount limit (did not declare) or other reasons. What is the outcome? Any true experience, would to share?

Don't keep your cash in your checked in baggage. They don't care about your Chinese dried food, only looking for drugs. I was asked to put my bag through the scanner only once in all my trips to Thailand. Took a second and then I asked if I should put my backpack through as well and the guy said no and waved me off.

Don't keep your cash in your checked in baggage. They don't care about your Chinese dried food, only looking for drugs. I was asked to put my bag through the scanner only once in all my trips to Thailand. Took a second and then I asked if I should put my backpack through as well and the guy said no and waved me off.

I mean the cash in hand carry luggage? The last time I went, nearly passing through ,the guy ask me to put all my bags through the machine for scanning. Zzz..... Will they able to see exactly how much cash in my bag? I'm just worried

If the OP is Asian and coming on on a regional flight, there is a higher chance of having baggage scanned. On certain occasions, they do scan every passenger but I find that they will wave non-Asians past the queue and scanner.

Regarding cash, they will see it on the scanner, not exactly how much but enough maybe for them to check if that's what they are looking for. May I recommend that the OP purchase a money-belt and put the cash in that and wear it under your clothing, next to the skin. Some body scanners will detect this when you are going through security before boarding so you may opt to put the cash and money-belt in your checked baggage and then put the money-belt on while in the air and before landing.

> put the cash and money-belt in your checked baggage and then put the money-belt on while in the air and before landing.

Only work when traveling as a stowaway in the landing gear maybe. Crawling down a maintenance hatch in-flight may arouse some suspicion.

Regarding cash, they will see it on the scanner, not exactly how much but enough maybe for them to check if that's what they are looking for. May I recommend that the OP purchase a money-belt and put the cash in that and wear it under your clothing, next to the skin. Some body scanners will detect this when you are going through security before boarding so you may opt to put the cash and money-belt in your checked baggage and then put the money-belt on while in the air and before landing.

How does one get access to the baggage hold to retrieve their money belt from checked baggage ?

How does one get access to the baggage hold to retrieve their money belt from checked baggage ?

Oops! My mistake. I meant that cash and money belt be in the OP's CABIN BAGGAGE on departure and not in the checked baggage. Sorry about that!

Arrival upon swampy, anyone has been checked their luggage? My friends always go through smoothly. Perhaps I'm unlucky. The staff ask me to put through my bag to scan during my last trip to LOS. This time round I'm bringing 2 big bag with lots of stuff. Some Chinese dried food as well. Is it allow? And during scanning, does they really able to see our cash (I mean in the bag)? Has anyone got his cash confiscated because of the amount limit (did not declare) or other reasons. What is the outcome? Any true experience, would to share?

There is no limit on bringing cash into Thailand do why would it be confiscated? If you're worried about security simply wire it across.

Why make things difficult for yourself?

Why would you bring cash in the first place. Apart from the fear of theft or pillferage or losing the money, to bring the amount in travellers cheques is not only safer but you get a better exchange rate at most banks as well. So that is a considerably less stressfull way of carying money as you get full replacement of lost or stolen cheques.

There is no limit on bringing cash into Thailand do why would it be confiscated? If you're worried about security simply wire it across.

Yes, just wire in a few million baht.... if you already have a bank account and if you don't worry too much about not being able to easily wire it out again.

Why would you bring cash in the first place. Apart from the fear of theft or pillferage or losing the money, to bring the amount in travellers cheques is not only safer but you get a better exchange rate at most banks as well. So that is a considerably less stressfull way of carying money as you get full replacement of lost or stolen cheques.

Some people may have 'issues' with conventional banking that goes way, way beyond just being unhappy with paying 150 baht per ATM transaction. Travelers checks? They still do those? They can get stolen too which is a minor inconvenience unless there's a few million bahts worth.

The OP wants to bring in cash and has asked on ways to do this, not alternative ways of bringing money to LOS.

Edited by NanLaew

There is no limit but just need to declare. Just wondering is it safe to declare to the custom staff?if you know what I mean.

Er... I find that bank exchange rate is not so good as the money exchange booth. Thought bringing cash is better.m

Er... I find that bank exchange rate is not so good as the money exchange booth. Thought bringing cash is better.m

You're wrong. Transfer rates are significantly better than money exchange booths. Wholesale interbank rates are always better than retail rates given to punters and tourists.

You're wrong. Transfer rates are significantly better than money exchange booths. Wholesale interbank rates are always better than retail rates given to punters and tourists.

I think Kasikorn Bank rate is very good for TT's and the charge is 500 Baht for each transaction. Very fast putting in your account too.

I think Kasikorn Bank rate is very good for TT's and the charge is 500 Baht for each transaction. Very fast putting in your account too.

Bangkok Bank TT rate transfer from UK charge 200 Baht. Fast transfer in 24 hrs.

Edited by rawhod

Bangkok Bank TT rate transfer from UK charge 200 Baht. Fast transfer in 24 hrs.

Is it?that great. I'm transferring to Bangkok bank acc. I will check it out the rate first

Kevin, what country are you coming from? *IF* it's from the USA, there is a much more economical way of transferring funds to Bangkok Bank using the ACH bank transfer system.

The OP maybe is having a fishing holiday.

Maybe he gets picked out by authorities because he seems to have a very slow stroll (my bolding).

Hmmmm... Perhaps.

whistling.gif

whistling.gif Larger font used above for those hard of reading whistling.gif