Thailand Elite Card: TAT Hopes To Present Revamped Project To Cabinet By End Of May

webfact

As an elite member I notice a lot of observations posted by those without one are nonsense. But I also notice members feel compelled to justify their situation with observations that are not always rational. Let's keep in mind a few things:

1. There hasn't been much peace of mind with the program. People knew the real test of the program would come when Thaksin's party was out of power. And ever since Thaksin was overthrown, the government rhetoric to close the program started and has increased to sometimes astonishing statements made in the press. There was even a time period they were unable to issue new visas to those that needed them and members were told to get tourist visas. Now that Thaksin party is back in, the program has received just a temporary bailout. But there is no real stability. On top of that, transparency to members is lacking. We usually find out about problems with the program from other people who read about it in the press. This isn't a nice situation.

2. The visa is good, but not great. Extensions are a mess, more complex than any other visa I am aware of and thus a waste of time and money for no good reason. A great visa would mean we get stamped in for 5 years at the airport, no dealing with extensions every 3 months.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.5 mil down and 5 years at 100k is 2 mil.

times 15 years is 1.5 mil + 1.5 mil = 3 mil.

No matter how you do the numbers it is not a good deal.

If you don't work you miss 4 visa runs. whoopee

I like the vissa runs to just get out of the house

and see a bit of asia and break the routine.

With your math and reading skills (or lack thereof), no wonder you have never been able to afford an Elitecard.

Please try to READ the provided link to TAT.

As for seeing Asia and break the routine, you can do that by driving your SUV, instead of being cramped into a minivan with 15 other equaly poor fellow expats. Just as some people here, has chosen to buy the TE, I am sure that your decission to go native was a choice of yours??cheesy.gif

As an elite member I notice a lot of observations posted by those without one are nonsense. But I also notice members feel compelled to justify their situation with observations that are not always rational. Let's keep in mind a few things:

1. There hasn't been much peace of mind with the program. People knew the real test of the program would come when Thaksin's party was out of power. And ever since Thaksin was overthrown, the government rhetoric to close the program started and has increased to sometimes astonishing statements made in the press. There was even a time period they were unable to issue new visas to those that needed them and members were told to get tourist visas. Now that Thaksin party is back in, the program has received just a temporary bailout. But there is no real stability. On top of that, transparency to members is lacking. We usually find out about problems with the program from other people who read about it in the press. This isn't a nice situation.

2. The visa is good, but not great. Extensions are a mess, more complex than any other visa I am aware of and thus a waste of time and money for no good reason. A great visa would mean we get stamped in for 5 years at the airport, no dealing with extensions every 3 months.

Thank you for your honest and enlightening post.

However I guess you must have a different card than Soi41 or Wordchild, as they say no hassle with extensions like a retirement visa, while you now say that it's even worse and every 3 months instead of once a year on a retirement visa.

It also amazes me that they could renew their visa's during the period you mention cardholders weren't be able to receive visa's.

Thank you for your honest and enlightening post.

However I guess you must have a different card than Soi41 or Wordchild, as they say no hassle with extensions like a retirement visa, while you now say that it's even worse and every 3 months instead of once a year on a retirement visa.

It also amazes me that they could renew their visa's during the period you mention cardholders weren't be able to receive visa's.

i never said anything of the sort, please re-read my posts. in fact bamboo2,s comment "good but not great" would be a pretty accurate summary of my own views on the whole thing. Edited by wordchild