Need Tips On Bali

Yes, it's a huge nation. So much to see. I've spent years exploring Thailand and still haven't been to many places. I've met many travelers who've spent months exploring Indonesia. They've said nothing but good things about it.

have to agree with everything thats been said about Kuta. Bali has so much more to see and do than hanging around that awful place.

if you're heading to Ubud, then the Monkey Forest is worth a view - some lovely temples as well as the thieving monkeys. watch your valuables!

if you hire a jeep you can see so much in one day as Bali is very small. from Ubud fairly close by is Goa Gajah and air panas ( elephant cave and temple with hot springs )

a short drive further brings you to Peneloken and fantastic views of Mt Batur. you can drive down to the lake and see a Balinese village that hasn't changed in centuries.

up to the far north coast is Singarajah which was a fairly bustling port many moons ago (apparently) and is quite a pleasant place to stop for a beer as you head towards Lovina Beach with its volcanic black sand. there's no surf here as its protected by a reef, so its a nice place for a cooling dip.

heading west from Lovina is a buddhist temple complex called Brahma Arana (something like that) its off the beaten track and not well signed, so expect to get lost a couple of times and have to ask the locals!

thats a few things to occupy your time, there are many many others, and if you hire a jeep, just drive and lose yourself. who knows what you'll stumble across.

Enjoy!

The problem I had with self drive was the lack of good signs and the fact the roads just meander all over the place! If you have lots of time, the self drive is great. If your under a bit of a time constraint, I'd hire a driver as they know the short cuts and can take you to many sights all in one day easily. Plus, you think the cops are bad here, they seem to be worse there. We got stopped several times for nothing other than tea money.

I would avoid Kuta at all costs. It's horrible. The "cowboys" harassed my wife, jeering and yelling at her. Even following us down the street yelling, whistling. I've never encountered something like that in all my travels with her...which are extensive. She even got propositioned by a guy outside Ubud while holding my hand! Incredibly rude the things he was saying. Luckily, our guide backed him off, but it wasn't pretty.

That aside, we loved Ubud. Do a guided walk along the river and across the rice fields. It's really beautiful. Try to see the dance show they have in town. Pretty neat. If your real lucky, you can witness one of the funerals. They're massive. Not far away are the various art villages. Each one specializing in something different. Lots of stuff to buy (sharpen your negotiating skills!). And there's a pretty neat temple area to explore also. We did this via a hired car and driver. Worked out great for a day trip.

We stayed in Legian and it's OK. Nice sand beach, great body surfing waves. Seminyak is great for dinning and has a few nightspots that are fun.

The rice terraces are beautiful, but be very careful of the scam there. They are good and in cahoots with the police. Don't touch any souvenir they hand you....ever. Our guide was great and body checked the vendors to keep them away!!

The temple by the sea is pretty cool, but as stated above, traffic coming back was horrendous. Took us almost 2 hours to get back to Legian.

The volcano is pretty cool also. We got there and the weather turned, so couldn't do the hike into it, but it was still beautiful from the rim.

We ate at some seaside restaurants down the coast from Kuta, I don't know the name, but they were quite nice.

Same thing happened to me 30 years ago with Filapina wife,very ,very aggressive.Wern't so tough when i went back with Balinese surf mates.