Phones Just Died

H2oDunc

Greetings peeps slight problem and hope somebody can shed some light. I'm in UK at present , returning to LOS in Feb, and my one 2 call pre pay has just been barred. Before I left BKK in JUly I went into phone shop and took passport and phone and registered it. It has worked over here uptil 31-12-05 then Zilch. Any ideas on how I can get it sorted from here or will it have to be done from there. Have Thai GF over there but on small island. Any help would be much appreciated, Cheers :o

Maybee they lost the page with your registation details on or they have not managed to imput them into the computer yet. When I registered mine a couple of weeks ago all you had to do was write the details on a piece of paper on a clipboard! I can imagine that many of these will get lost, especially as you registered so long ago, they probably did not start imputing until a few days before deadline, so where your details have been for the last 6 months is anyone's guess!

I really don't know what you will have to do to sort this out. I would start by sending someone you know in BK to the shop where you registered it and ask the staff if they can shed any light on the matter, but I am pretty certain that you probably won't be the only person with this problem so there could be quite a lot of people there at the same time

Good Luck anyway

TP

I'm quite certain that my DTAC sim card has also "expired", considering that I did not know I had to register it.

So for now, I plan to cut my losses, and invest in another 350 Baht (or whatever the rate is today) on a new sim card the next time I am in Thailand. While I am purchasing the new card, undoubtably I will be asked to register it.

I think that this is the least expensive option, rather than...

Get your missus to buy another SIM and post it over. Or you could use SKYPE if you have broadband and she has a hard line.

as suggested by Jackr.

By the way, when I use my mobile in the US to call Thailand, it costs $1.50 (about 60 Baht) per minute for the call. If I use my Vonage VOIP phone, the cost is only $0.16 (about 6.5 Baht) per minute. And I can call land lines and mobile phones.

A pre-paid 1-2-Call SIM card will roam in the UK?  If so I did not realize these SIMs could roam anywhere outside of Thailand.  Could they also roam in the USA?

kenk3z

Yes no prob

I use mine in Oz and all over the middle east just ring them up and tell them to open it to the country you want. But it can be a expencive way to call

I'm quite certain that my DTAC sim card has also "expired", considering that I did not know I had to register it.

So for now, I plan to cut my losses, and invest in another 350 Baht (or whatever the rate is today) on a new sim card the next time I am in Thailand.  While I am purchasing the new card, undoubtably I will be asked to register it.

I think that this is the least expensive option, rather than...

Get your missus to buy another SIM and post it over. Or you could use SKYPE if you have broadband and she has a hard line.

as suggested by Jackr.

By the way, when I use my mobile in the US to call Thailand, it costs $1.50 (about 60 Baht) per minute for the call. If I use my Vonage VOIP phone, the cost is only $0.16 (about 6.5 Baht) per minute. And I can call land lines and mobile phones.

It is about the same with skype about 0.173 cents aussie a min to call a land line or a mobile in Thailand

Edited by Rigger

I have quite a few phones in my business, most of them post-paid, but some less used ones (for the driver etc.) pre-paid.

Never registered, and all of them are still working...

Only one pre-paid sim is registered (from the GF), and considering how they handled registering I'm not amazed most of the non registered are still working...

A slip of paper on a clipboard was all it took :o

Not even a glance on the ID-card....

Not sure how many of those slips made it to the computer input center :D