Chiang Mai Party?

raro

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Citizens of Chiang Mai! Thaivisa is coming to your town!

Not yet sure about when exactly, where, how....but let's give it a 90% chance we'll have some party this year.

Now we would like to know whether or not you are interested at all and if so, where could we host that? Family event? Boys night out? Please let us know what you would expect!

Do we need to vote about the area? I remember CM being not that large, but can add this to the poll if you feel it's necessary.

raro cool.png

Wow, that's great news. I can't wait to see the faces behind my everyday readings.

If I may suggest a location for the party: Kafe Otto. It's a Thai-Turkish restaurant with excellent food, plenty of room (indoor and outdoor), a huge projector screen, good sound equipment and a very accommodating staff. It's quite a common meet-up place for the Chiang Mai expats and also for the Couch Surfing community gathering there every Friday night. Here's their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/kafeotto.

The third option is a bit presumptuous.. I had to vote 'no', though that doesn't mean I'm not ever interested in meeting other members. In fact it's hard NOT to meet other members about town.

If the goal of the poll is to assess potential attendance then this wording may skew the results.

• Like 2

The third option is a bit presumptuous.. I had to vote 'no', though that doesn't mean I'm not ever interested in meeting other members. In fact it's hard NOT to meet other members about town.

If the goal of the poll is to assess potential attendance then this wording may skew the results.

The goal of the poll is to access how big the interest in attending a party is.

At the party, we will hand out name tags showing your nick and avatar so that you can identify yourself to the other members. It is supposed to be a meet and greet the other members that you know from their postings only but never met in person.

Those who are shy to reveal who they are in public ususually do not attend our parties.

The last one I went to was at The Olde Bell which was ample in size for the event.

Think the name tags will be a waste of time (again) as nobody wanted to wear them last time.

Might be something with them defeating the point of an anonymous forum?

The last one I went to was at The Olde Bell which was ample in size for the event.

Think the name tags will be a waste of time (again) as nobody wanted to wear them last time.

Olde Bell sounds good. I voted for free beer (why not?) but would attend regardless. Agree the wording of poll may skew results but I'd happily wear a badge .... I'm not on the run and have nothing to hide. Except my ugly mug.

I don't see the point - other than scarfing down free stuff - if no one knows who they are meeting and who they are on the forum.

• Like 1

At the olde bell the last time I found nothing wrong with it,free beer,free food,and I had no probs with wearing the name tag (may be it should be no free beer or food with out the name tag being shown).

• Like 1

Really liked the Olde Bell party and the one before at Tusker's. I hope it's at a location we can reach by song tel (hey guys, if you can't beat him, why not join HelloDolly in his spelling! there's no "correct" phonetic Thai language anyway)

I also like the idea of restricting the free beer to those willing to wear their nametag, but there are ways around that. Once I had a co-worker who registered for a big industry trade show using the name of the president of a Fortune 50 company. (got great freebies at the show!) Guess nothing would stop someone from using someone else's handle on their nametag!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Really liked the Olde Bell party and the one before at Tusker's. I hope it's at a location we can reach by song tel (hey guys, if you can't beat him, why not join HelloDolly in his spelling! there's no "correct" phonetic Thai language anyway)

True, though there is probably a line to draw somewhere, like when completely different sounds are inserted. Otherwise you might as well spell it as Xwrtuyps. Personally I love to write 'Farlung' when I want to upset people, but if I'd write 'Fapang' then I've crossed a line towards gibberish.

(I want to skirt that line, not cross it. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I would attend.

But how about using one of TV's new sponsors? Tuskers, Olde Bell are fine, but seem to over used for TV events.

How about that new pizza place with the live music? (Yummie Pizza)

I'm sure some of these new places would welcome a TV meet up at their place.

I don't see the point - other than scarfing down free stuff - if no one knows who they are meeting and who they are on the forum.

'Scarfing'? You sure you're not English? tongue.png

... there's no "correct" phonetic Thai language anyway.

There is: http://www.arts.chul...nciples_eng.pdf

Appreciate the "free beer for wearing name tag" proposal.

Sorry, rebo, the phonetic system of your link is the most commonly used, but isn't something that has "officially" been adopted by the Thai government. For example, the first letter of the alphabeth is shown as "K" in your system, while the YMCA uses a system that shows it as a "G".

Don't mean to pick an argument -- just having fun with some people who get annoyed with Hellodolly, but not with the transliteration they find elsewhere, like on the street signs in the old city.

True, though there is probably a line to draw somewhere, like when completely different sounds are inserted. Otherwise you might as well spell it as Xwrtuyps. Personally I love to write 'Farlung' when I want to upset people, but if I'd write 'Fapang' then I've crossed a line towards gibberish.

(I want to skirt that line, not cross it. wink.png

Oh, goodie, we can turn this thread into a mud-fest about how the "F" word is impolite and we shouldn't use it to refer to ourselves.

A location large enough to handle many more people than on the guest list and lots of car parking should be a must.

There are many of us who ( a ) do not live in town and only drive cars or ( b ) have both but will not attending a drinking function at night riding a motorcycle (i.e., will attend only if they can drive their car and find on site parking).

I liked the old Tuskers, but only had to go there once for party to learn not to repeat that mistake. It took more time to find a place to park and walk to and from than the time I spent there. The time I spent there was shortened by the fact that it was wall to wall people and just too hard to mix, get a drink, get food. Add in the band, and it was hard to even converse with the person jammed in next to you.

could we please discuss the party and leave the rest in the Thai language forum? B)

We had badges at all parties that I attended and found it very useful as you could finally have a chat with those you always wanted to meet in person. I'm pretty sure we will do this again this time.

totally agree - will be much better supported without the name tags - its supposed to be 'annonymous'

Well, you without the tags you can be a little more selective in who you introduce yourself to. There is some serious bad blood out there as you can see regularly, and no shortage of psycho-nutters.

I do agree and I have chatted to quite a few around CM who dislike this person or that person on TV and are quite angry it may all be hot air but who knows?

• Like 2