Beautiful Video (Thai W Eng Subs)

BigJohnnyBKK

I usually don't need to start a thread to have people jumping to my throat accusing me of thai bashing, it comes fast...

Anyone can check it out on utube if they don't know the movie

Anyway it's totally in relation with the topic : it's thai, it's kinetical art, contemplative, full of positive energy and totally recent of the same period.

So ?

I know nothing about this so can not talk about it. If you start a thread you might get more attention as this thread isn't getting much already.

Edited by arthurwait

I usually don't need to start a thread to have people jumping to my throat accusing me of thai bashing, it comes fast...

Anyone can check it out on utube if they don't know the movie

Anyway it's totally in relation with the topic : it's thai, it's kinetical art, contemplative, full of positive energy and totally recent of the same period.

So ?

I know nothing about this so can not talk about it. If you start a thread you might get more attention as this thread isn't getting much already.

As I said it's on utube

I don't need to start a thread, I know people don't give a dam_n

Don't you know that trains arriving on time don't make the headlines?

People are only interested in the low and dirty, that's humane nature

I know I am one of the very few here with no cinema education or creative experience within this field, so all I can say is the film was very nice to watch.

Especially liked the theme song in the background. Thought it was a good choice.

But then again, who am I to speak. I'm just an amateur within this field.

Sorry they are not Thai, the only director I know/like is Apichapong Werasethakul (apologies for any mispellings)who did "Uncle Bonmee"

http://en.wikipedia....g_Weerasethakul

It's a different category as he's professional of course but worth checking

Do you know him ?

So you've actually seen "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives?" That movie won an award at the Cannes Film Festival. Yet, to this day, I have no idea what it was about.

OK, I'm biting. Not available on YouTube, other than just the trailers, I'll probably be seeding it for anyone else that wants to search:

Uncle.Boonmee.Who.Can.Recall.His.Past.Lives.2010.720p.BluRay.x264-CiNEFiLE

I really liked it, it was simple but moving. I particularly liked the soundtrack like someone else said it fitted it really well.

As for that Boonmee movie that's also being discussed - I just didn't know what it was all trying to say.

Thanks for sharing this video.

Sorry they are not Thai, the only director I know/like is Apichapong Werasethakul (apologies for any mispellings)who did "Uncle Bonmee"

Do you know him ?

So you've actually seen "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives?" That movie won an award at the Cannes Film Festival. Yet, to this day, I have no idea what it was about.

OK, I'm biting. Not available on YouTube, other than just the trailers, I'll probably be seeding it for anyone else that wants to search:

I saw the movie a few years ago. The movie was touted as being an award winner at Cannes, which it was. And this is where rendering an opinion about a piece of creative work can be so arbitrary and subjective. To put it mildly, the movie wasn't real exciting or interesting. Afterwards, I asked the Thai GF what she thought. She didn't understand the plot/premise. I asked some friends (western and Thai). No one understood the plot/premise. I didn't understand it either. When I got home, I Googled the reviews and most said the movie could mean whatever you want it to mean (???). Bottom-line is I wouldn't recommend it. But I guess I'm just an Avengers sort of guy.

I'm not much of an artsie, nor given to sentimentality unless there are animals in the work and by jove there was little Chok hugging his dog. smile.png

Mmkay, I have enough culture, jai dee and common sense to appreciate a piece of work that makes one think. A film maker cannot appeal to everyone, but if the work speaks to some, then the film maker did his or her job. Based upon the comments, the task was accomplished.

One doesn't have to like it, and that's fine. It's normal not to like some films. However, to "hate" this inanimate object to the point where it provokes a harsh reaction, then I think a person affected in that way probably has some "issues".

Edited by geriatrickid

Do you know him ?

I saw the movie a few years ago. The movie was touted as being an award winner at Cannes, which it was. And this is where rendering an opinion about a piece of creative work can be so arbitrary and subjective. To put it mildly, the movie wasn't real exciting or interesting. Afterwards, I asked the Thai GF what she thought. She didn't understand the plot/premise. I asked some friends (western and Thai). No one understood the plot/premise. I didn't understand it either. When I got home, I Googled the reviews and most said the movie could mean whatever you want it to mean (???). Bottom-line is I wouldn't recommend it. But I guess I'm just an Avengers sort of guy.

Thanks for your answer, at least there is ONE

Sorry ONE and a HALF if you include the lady who mentioned she did not understood it, when posting about BigJohnny's vid.

Anyway the bottom line is :

- Question Thai habits, say anything vaguely confrontational about cultural ways or daily life and you get inundated by aggressive messages from the Integrist brigade accusing you of Thai bashing

- Praise the most acclaimed cultural achievement of these last few years, and you get 1.5 answer.

I'm not much of an artsie, nor given to sentimentality unless there are animals in the work and by jove there was little Chok hugging his dog. smile.png

Mmkay, I have enough culture, jai dee and common sense to appreciate a piece of work that makes one think. A film maker cannot appeal to everyone, but if the work speaks to some, then the film maker did his or her job. Based upon the comments, the task was accomplished.

One doesn't have to like it, and that's fine. It's normal not to like some films. However, to "hate" this inanimate object to the point where it provokes a harsh reaction, then I think a person affected in that way probably has some "issues".

what's harsh about my reaction ?

It seems that is you who have a problem with critic in general

Sorry ONE and a HALF if you include the lady who mentioned she did not understood it, when posting about BigJohnny's vid.

- Question Thai habits, say anything vaguely confrontational about cultural ways or daily life and you get inundated by aggressive messages from the Integrist brigade accusing you of Thai bashing

- Praise the most acclaimed cultural achievement of these last few years, and you get 1.5 answer.

Dear Aneliane,

It is not necessary to get direct responses when posting to a general forum, this medium is not email. I was responding to your suggestion even though I didn't address my comments directly to you.

Several people suggested you start a new thread about this specific topic, which would certainly have been more in line with proper etiquette in a discussion forum.

Don't be so sensitive, some people seem to speak harshly when that isn't their intention, it's part of the problem of this half writing/half speech communications so easy to misinterpret.

Best to ignore the bad you perceive and respond to the good, and try to word things diplomatically yourself.

Love,

Your Big Fat Johnny

Actually, you're misunderstanding some of my criticisms. For example, if someone (note some"one") treats you badly or inappropriately or acts stupidly, you are certainly right to feel contempt for this one person. The problem that I have with some of these jerk-offs on TV is that if one Thai person wrongs them, they automatically chastise all Thais. The entire country. The whole culture. Let's be honest, all of your criticisms have involved interactions with certain individuals. I'm not sure why you feel that these individuals are representative of the entire country.

A simple example is if I were to meet a western woman who was a complete nutjob, should I automatically assume that all western women were nutjobs? Of course not.

Anyways, this silliness will never stop on TV because there's quite a few farangs here with an axe to grind, for whatever reason. Your complaining (or questioning of all things Thai) is certainly not unique, nor is it uncommon. My job never ends!

Actually, you're misunderstanding some of my criticisms. For example, if someone (note some"one") treats you badly or inappropriately or acts stupidly, you are certainly right to feel contempt for this one person. The problem that I have with some of these jerk-offs on TV is that if one Thai person wrongs them, they automatically chastise all Thais. The entire country. The whole culture. Let's be honest, all of your criticisms have involved interactions with certain individuals. I'm not sure why you feel that these individuals are representative of the entire country.

A simple example is if I were to meet a western woman who was a complete nutjob, should I automatically assume that all western women were nutjobs? Of course not.

Anyways, this silliness will never stop on TV because there's quite a few farangs here with an axe to grind, for whatever reason. Your complaining (or questioning of all things Thai) is certainly not unique, nor is it uncommon. My job never ends!

Oh gawwwd !! Why is it so difficult to get a point across ?crazy.gif

I don't complain about having harsh comments

I'm just saying that happy beautiful moments are the most difficult thing to share; you need to be good story teller or an artist to do that.

Newspapers sell on tragedies, not on beautiful happy moments.

The very people who reproach me to only write about "negative stuffs" here, completely ignore me if I talk "positive" stuffs. So it's says more about them than about me.

Oh gawwwd !! Why is it so difficult to get a point across ?crazy.gif

I don't complain about having harsh comments

I'm just saying that happy beautiful moments are the most difficult thing to share; you need to be good story teller or an artist to do that.

Newspapers sell on tragedies, not on beautiful happy moments.

The very people who reproach me to only write about "negative stuffs" here, completely ignore me if I talk "positive" stuffs. So it's says more about them than about me.

I'll concede that my post that you're responding to is a bit off-topic. I was referring to many of your other posts/threads as being decidedly negative about Thais and Thailand. As for the Uncle Boonmee comment, sorry to sound negative yet again, but it appears that the only time you'll be positive about the Thais is if someone else (i.e., Cannes/farang critics) has already endorsed the film. I actually enjoy Thai films and have seen a few good ones just this past year. Uncle Boonmee was not one of them.

Dear Aneliane,

It is not necessary to get direct responses when posting to a general forum, this medium is not email. I was responding to your suggestion even though I didn't address my comments directly to you.

Several people suggested you start a new thread about this specific topic, which would certainly have been more in line with proper etiquette in a discussion forum.

Don't be so sensitive, some people seem to speak harshly when that isn't their intention, it's part of the problem of this half writing/half speech communications so easy to misinterpret.

Best to ignore the bad you perceive and respond to the good, and try to word things diplomatically yourself.

Love,

Your Big Fat Johnny

Dear Bigfatjohnny,

You are right I am not diplomatic.

But what would be the point of being diplomatic here on TV?

I seriously have no idea.

cheers

A

Dear Bigfatjohnny,

cheers

A

None if you want to be ignored or thrive on conflict, but to me you seem sensitive to those things, don't like to be perceived as a nutjob.

I assume one's goal here is to communicate meaning and engage in interesting rational discussions. That's usually furthered by trying to avoid direct conflict regarding individual personalities (by ignoring them) and focusing on the ideas at hand instead.

This movie is a big kitsch in my eyes. No message sentiments only. Esoteric blown up bubble.

But nice to watch, the photographer knows his job.

In many points I agree with aneliane and I am convinced many posters here are with her. After my opinion some people here only fight with her for the reason she is not so good in interaction and had some previos threads going in "wrong direction"?

Edited by Wikinger2
  • Like 1

Dear Bigfatjohnny,

cheers

A

None if you want to be ignored or thrive on conflict, but to me you seem sensitive to those things, don't like to be perceived as a nutjob.

I assume one's goal here is to communicate meaning and engage in interesting rational discussions. That's usually furthered by trying to avoid direct conflict regarding individual personalities (by ignoring them) and focusing on the ideas at hand instead.

OK let's focus on ideas

Example :

- I say BKK is sinking and its high rises are exacerbating the process.

- someone (who shall remain nameless because I make an effort at diplomacy nonetheless) calls me irrational for saying this. it's a personal attack that question my abilities so I am basically called insane.

- I then give a reputable source (the Time) where it says that indeed tall building are making BKK sink

- Do I get an excuse in the same thread ? no

So I say true stuffs, get called mad, justify my point, never get apology, and I should be the one to be diplomatic ?

Edited by aneliane

Being right doesn't mean one isn't mad, one is a fact, the other one perception. Mastering both appearance and factual content will result in a better delivery of an idea. Just sayin'.

EDIT: damned android tab, not the first time I've mixed threads..gave a wrong review.

Edited by DrTuner

Dear Bigfatjohnny,

cheers

A

OK let's focus on ideas

Example :

- I say BKK is sinking and its high rises are exacerbating the process.

- someone (who shall remain nameless because I make an effort at diplomacy nonetheless) calls me irrational for saying this. it's a personal attack that question my abilities so I am basically called insane.

- I then give a reputable source (the Time) where it says that indeed tall building are making BKK sink

- Do I get an excuse in the same thread ? no

So I say true stuffs, get called mad, justify my point, never get apology, and I should be the one to be diplomatic ?

My point is that it isn't reasonable to expect a response, many people post and move on and never check that particular thread again.

This medium isn't email, it's more like a public bulletin board. I would actually be very interested to read something credible saying big buildings are making Bangkok sink, I would certainly be one to respond automatically that you're blowing out your ass just because it sounds so ridiculous. I guess I missed the link you posted, feel free to re-post it if it's not too much trouble I wasn't able to find it using the search function.

And certainly don't expect apologies when people are "proven" wrong, don't take things so personally Aneliane, just say what you want to say, just respond to the love, ignore the "sticks and stones" and move on.

Ok finally watched it on the PC. My verdict is: Nice camerawork, great looking views, but the story was a boring fatalist yarn. I don't subscribe to any religion so it didn't ring any of my bells and also don't generally nod at "oh why I didn't do this and that" gripes. If you want to do something, do it or leave it but for Fs sake, don't complain about it. Ugh, I have spoken.

You're really not endearing yourself to the readership by being so snobbish.

I personally appreciate different points of view, especially when their posts are thought out and rational, and hers are, at least most of the time.

As John McEnroe used to say...."You cannot be serious!" Well thought-out and rational? Have you taken a gander at her newest thread about "Free walking ad?" The woman is delusional and paranoid...not to mention clearly anti-Thai.

I certainly have no problem with her expressing her opinions, but there's nothing unique about them. There are many like her who chooses to bash the Thais and Thailand at every opportunity. But hey, freedom of speech and all that.

No, she's French.

I really did enjoy the democracy rant though. I guess she forgot where she lives.

Last time I checked Thailand was a democracy.

Some comments about politic might be restricted but art critic is free here.

Where do you live?

• 9 months later...