A Not-So-Pleasant Stroll On Huay Kaew Road

sante

When it comes to traffic in Thailand, size matters.

On my first visit to Chiang Mai a few months ago, I tried to cross the street on Changpuak road, about 500 meters North of the gate. The problem was, it was a pedestrian crossing, no cross vehicular traffic.

So of course every vehicle ignored the red light , because they knew that they were not going to be hit by another vehicle. At worst, they may hit a pedestrian, and they would not lose their life.

If you are going to walk in Thailand (as I like to do), I believe there are two things you need to remember:

1. You are at the bottom of the food chain. Approach every intersection with that thought in the front of your mind.

2. A red light to a driver in Thailand (Thai or farang), is only a "suggestion", not a rule. They are free to disregard it if they are bigger than you.

Good luck!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just as dangerous in a car, tuk tuk or on a bike. I walk a lot, usually Suan Dok to KSK, sometimes to Thapae Gate and back, often on Suthep Road or Huay Kaew - both extremely hazardous for ALL.

One must be constantly aware of what's going on all around, whether on 2 legs or 4 wheels.

....or the (mostly) 4 legged soi dogs.

Crossing traffic on foot in Thailand reminds me of an old arcade game called Frogger. With about the same results.

Ha! I just used all the old Frogger moves to cross the road in front of RAM Hospital, a little left here, quick move forward, back to the right, shift, shift, fast move forward - worked like a charm. I swear I could hear the theme music playing in the background.

• Like 1

It's just as dangerous in a car, tuk tuk or on a bike. I walk a lot, usually Suan Dok to KSK, sometimes to Thapae Gate and back, often on Suthep Road or Huay Kaew - both extremely hazardous for ALL.

One must be constantly aware of what's going on all around, whether on 2 legs or 4 wheels.

But on 2 legs or 2 wheels you are so much more vulnerable, isn't it.

All hog wash I walk all the time.

I thought you got Songtells everywhere.

Beyond two miles. How ever not being a cheap Charley I even use tuck tuck's.

You mean tick tacks? Come on, get creative in spelling all forms of public transport please. wink.png

Do you mean don't be such a lazy lout use your feetsies creatively.

• Like 1

"the lady doth protest too much, methinks" Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act III, scene II

You seem to be overly anxious to demonstrate that you are not a 'Cheap Charlie' at every opportunity and that others are. Which leads me to conclude that you probably ARE extremely cheap or simply jumping onto the catch phrase bandwagon that others have used, in order to be seen as 'one of the lads'. Good luck.......especially with the songtels and tuck tuck's.

Sorry the bar scene is not for me. Some times for breakfast and only the one's I can reach on my feetsies.

"the lady doth protest too much, methinks" Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act III, scene II

You seem to be overly anxious to demonstrate that you are not a 'Cheap Charlie' at every opportunity and that others are. Which leads me to conclude that you probably ARE extremely cheap or simply jumping onto the catch phrase bandwagon that others have used, in order to be seen as 'one of the lads'. Good luck.......especially with the songtels and tuck tuck's.

Sorry the bar scene is not for me. Some times for breakfast and only the one's I can reach on my feetsies.

"Sorry the bar scene is not for me.ermm.gif Some times for breakfast and only the one's I can reach on my feetsies". passifier.gif

What on earth are you responding to?

"Sorry the bar scene is not for me.ermm.gif Some times for breakfast and only the one's I can reach on my feetsies". passifier.gif

I believe ...dolly has had his Ladhood challenged but has not responded or recognized the bait. Edited by daoyai

You Being one of the lads. Sorry if I hit a nerve.

Edited by hellodolly

Monks are always good to hide behind when crossing the street. tongue.png

in the sense they believe in reincarnation and karma? and therefore do not care?

In the sense that nobody wants to have monks splattered all over their car.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Sorry dolly, I still don't understand what you're talking about......but it's getting easier.

is it? blink.png Im totally lost. Had to double check what the thread title was, because i thought id clicked the wrong link.

Sorry dolly, I still don't understand what you're talking about......but it's getting easier.

is it? blink.png Im totally lost. Had to double check what the thread title was, because i thought id clicked the wrong link.

Check back on uptheos questions.