Whats with all thye different ways of spelling Isaan, Isan, Esaan,

Thats an easy one Rigger :D

History...

Translation...

Lao speak...

Khmer speak...

Thai speak...

Mixed Familys speak from above..

Farang speak mixed with all of the above...

And my way....Esarn :o

Because most people cant read Thai so they write it as they hear it....not the way it is written in Thai.

I go with Esaan as well....

Did you mean Esaarn or Esarn Mr Burns? :D:D Issan, Isaan, Essan and Isan have also been bandied around....thank god I live in Buriram :o otherwise known as Burilam, Bullilam, Burriram, Burrilam....Now, Korat is another story :D

Because most people cant read Thai so they write it as they hear it....not the way it is written in Thai.

I go with Esaan as well....

Did you mean Esaarn or Esarn Mr Burns? :D:D Issan, Isaan, Essan and Isan have also been bandied around....thank god I live in Buriram :o otherwise known as Burilam, Bullilam, Burriram, Burrilam....Now, Korat is another story :D

Actually Esarn....typo......

I know Buriram quite well.....Prakhonchai area...Baan Kruat or was that Prakhonshai and Baan Kruad

:D

Edited by gburns57au

• 2 weeks later...

You can spell it anyway you like and it's really is not important how it is spelled. The sound is the same and the spellings are phonetic transliterations. Putting the name in the latin alphabet (romanisation) is an aid to non-Thai language readers or writers.

Just an academic thought or two.

Most Anglicisation is based on the work done by Mary Haas, of Stanford University, in the 1950s and largely followed by the better Thai-English authors.

However, there has never been an official version of rendering Thai into English and you know the results.

Two of the more stupid are writing the Thai W as a V as in Sukhumvit Road. The Latins used to do this hundreds of years ago as they had no W.

The other is to write give a Chinese L pronunciation to the Thai R. As in Falang and Mai Luu ( my toilet?) but many Thais speak their language badly.

Writing as it is said can be quite stupid: Head an' Shoulder (which one, left or right)

Or sometimes sensible: Writing the Thai name Wiroj (similar to the Thai spelling) as Wirote which is how it is pronounced.

Thais do seem to have a big problem with their own language though. Steet names vary from place to place and there is a local sign post that directs you to Surin Province even though you are already in it. They meant Surin town actually but that concept seems too much for a notice board.

Sawat Dii

Roger, Baan Khok Muang

• 2 weeks later...

[

What did u mean by that last aside 'Korat is another story...' Eh?

[

Did you mean Esaarn or Esarn Mr Burns? :D:D Issan, Isaan, Essan and Isan have also been bandied around....thank god I live in Buriram :D otherwise known as Burilam, Bullilam, Burriram, Burrilam....Now, Korat is another story :D

Sorry baan_yangyai, I thought it was obvious........Korat, Kolat, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakorn Ratchasima, Nakhon Ratchasam etc etc :D

Another aside. I live in a soi off the Jira Rd in Buriram. Water/Elec/Cable/ TOT/CAT/ accounts all arrive each month (address in Thai) and they are all spelt differnently. :o

[

Did you mean Esaarn or Esarn Mr Burns? :D:D Issan, Isaan, Essan and Isan have also been bandied around....thank god I live in Buriram :D otherwise known as Burilam, Bullilam, Burriram, Burrilam....Now, Korat is another story :D

Sorry baan_yangyai, I thought it was obvious........Korat, Kolat, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakorn Ratchasima, Nakhon Ratchasam etc etc :D

Another aside. I live in a soi off the Jira Rd in Buriram. Water/Elec/Cable/ TOT/CAT/ accounts all arrive each month (address in Thai) and they are all spelt differnently. :o

Nice one Daddy...it was obvious to me.

Edited by Artisan

Most Anglicisation is based on the work done by Mary Haas, of Stanford University, in the 1950s and largely followed by the better Thai-English authors.

However, there has never been an official version of rendering Thai into English and you know the results.

Two of the more stupid are writing the Thai W as a V as in Sukhumvit Road. The Latins used to do this hundreds of years ago as they had no W.

The other is to write give a Chinese L pronunciation to the Thai R. As in Falang and Mai Luu ( my toilet?) but many Thais speak their language badly.

Writing as it is said can be quite stupid: Head an' Shoulder (which one, left or right)

Or sometimes sensible: Writing the Thai name Wiroj (similar to the Thai spelling) as Wirote which is how it is pronounced.

Thais do seem to have a big problem with their own language though. Steet names vary from place to place and there is a local sign post that directs you to Surin Province even though you are already in it. They meant Surin town actually but that concept seems too much for a notice board.

Sawat Dii

Roger, Baan Khok Muang

- and what a silly idea to put the "h" in Phuket, Phibun, etc... Does anyone know why that was done ?

Esaarn.....Esarn.....Issan..... Isaan..... Essan.....Isan.......

It doesn't matter to the thais, and they don't very care! Like the thais often said...."understandable, same...same!" :D

For example...just take a look at this road sign below....somewhere in Thailand

:o:D:D:D understandable...same...same!

post-24815-1138766770_thumb.jpg

Edited by BKK90210

Sawat Dii

Roger, Baan Khok Muang

- and what a silly idea to put the "h" in Phuket, Phibun, etc... Does anyone know why that was done ?

These spellings are equivalent to the Romanised sound of an elongated "breathed" P, almost as though the speaker was spitting out the initial letter. What about the English word mouse? In Thai this word sounds like "noo" but starts with the letter "ho hip" (h) หนู.

Sawat Dii

Roger, Baan Khok Muang

These spellings are equivalent to the Romanised sound of an elongated "breathed" P, almost as though the speaker was spitting out the initial letter. What about the English word mouse? In Thai this word sounds like "noo" but starts with the letter "ho hip" (h) หนู.

Right

The Thai ก is transliterated at K but is pronounced G kor kai

The Thai ข and the others are also a K and are pronounced as K which is aspirated so has an H added as is kham (word).

In the same way ป is transliterated as P but is unaspirated and sounds a bit like a B.

พ and ผ are aspirated and have a P sound so have an H added.

Try the difference with Pibul and Phibun.

Final consonants are exciting as well!!

This should be all explained in all English teaching school books here, but isn't.

Does this make it all as clear as mud?

Roger

Edited by raslin

Sawat Dii

Roger, Baan Khok Muang

Right

The Thai ข and the others are also a K and are pronounced as K which is aspirated so has an H added as is kham (word).

In the same way ป is transliterated as P but is unaspirated and sounds a bit like a B.

This should be all explained in all English teaching school books here, but isn't.

Roger

Sorry Roger, I' sure you know alot more Thai grammar that this poor soul, but correct me if I'm wrong, in Thail isn't the first 'k' sound you mentioned above actually pronounced as 'GOR GAI' not 'KOR GAI', meaning that the 'k' is actually a 'g' ?

Apologies in advance :o

Sawat Dii

Roger, Baan Khok Muang

Right

Roger

Sorry Roger, I' sure you know alot more Thai grammar that this poor soul, but correct me if I'm wrong, in Thail isn't the first 'k' sound you mentioned above actually pronounced as 'GOR GAI' not 'KOR GAI', meaning that the 'k' is actually a 'g' ?

Apologies in advance :o

Yes. In normal transliteration (don't know why it started) a plain K as in kor kai is pronounced and the rest with an H all pronounced as a real K.