Is Thailand Really Cheaper For You ?

MrRealDeal

As a rule, if I see an EPL footballer rock up in a club where I am, I get up and leave.

Mate, what would you do if you went to a club here in BKK and met someone from the Thai Premiere League. Some of these players are Afs.

Well I doubt I'd recognize any Thai Premier League player.

Back in London, there's kinda no mistaking Cristiano Ronaldo or Ashley Cole

Ronaldo is driving his Bentley around London these days, is he?

Could have sworn I saw him the other day driving up the motorway to Malaga.

er yeah unsure.png whatever, mate.

I can understand if you couldn't be bothered to read the rest of the thread where I mentioned that this was before I left London more than 4 years ago but congrats on turning up to the discussion to deliver your wannabe-smartarse response albeit way late in the game.

Only a neanderthal with an inch-thick cranial plate could attempt to ridicule someone for daring not to like EPL football. Not that it's any of your business what sports I like, I'll humour you and state that I'm a big boxing and Formula 1 fan.

• Like 1

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant forget that people who spew low prices on house rentals usualy have ugly unlivable houses for anyone that is used to middle class living

like myself if i had a house that looked like this a0191_0031.jpg

a0191_0037.jpg

I would not live there. i just took the first average cheap house picture i could find. Cheap furniture,. Looks like a larger jail cell with a sub-par thai kitchen in pastel colors.

ohh it has 3 bedrooms! yeah, i dont give a shit its still comparable to a box on the street in the west.

I could find thousands of picture just a bit above this, with tesco/index's discount furniture but its still cheap, still no colors on the wall, still full of insects because thais can't build a house correctly without leaving space for insects in the walls, the kitchens are always terribly ghetto while in the west kitchen is the most important part of the home, still has tv's from the 80's, always has a toilet where you take a shower on the pooper, beds that even egyptian slaves would spit on. etc etc

And those are the house that people talk about. Yeah you have space but as i said its still just a large cheap jail cell with no personality or real comfort, not comparable to what you get in the west.

In the whole country i am a 100% sure that there isnt more than 5 or 10 people with nice 2br+ houses for 20k baht or less.(unless they've bought it)

There's always a few lucky bastards and i was one of them before i bought my house but it was still not comparable to a decent house back home.

You forgot to mention the brain frying fluorescent lighting.

Or the drunks next door singing karaoke all night. The family on the other side with 10 roosters going off at 3am.

And the recycling business / house across the street

That looks like a 250 bhat a night motel room , like the one round the back of the Wrong Way bar in Ubon .

I rent a teak 2 bdrm, single bath, ktchn, lrg lvng rm, monster storage, private parking and lrg yard and garden for 1000 US a year. Anything comperable in southern California would be closer to $2500 a month. Just sayin'.

Would love to know where this is located, B2,500 per month must be upcountry - is it a typical old-style Thai house?

Is there any A/C provided? Are there screens on the windows, and if so are there still mozzies indoors? Is there a proper kitchen?

you guys really should get out more. This is a Thailand forum, not a Bangkok forum. Decent house in Buriram: ฿4500.- a month.

I'd like to see some pics. It'd be great if it were true.

I rent a teak 2 bdrm, single bath, ktchn, lrg lvng rm, monster storage, private parking and lrg yard and garden for 1000 US a year. Anything comperable in southern California would be closer to $2500 a month. Just sayin'.

Would love to know where this is located, B2,500 per month must be upcountry - is it a typical old-style Thai house?

Is there any A/C provided? Are there screens on the windows, and if so are there still mozzies indoors? Is there a proper kitchen?

you guys really should get out more. This is a Thailand forum, not a Bangkok forum. Decent house in Buriram: ฿4500.- a month.

I was simply asking where it was. And B4,500 is a lot more than B2,500. I haven't seen teak houses nicely done up that didn't rent for (usually a lot) more than a concrete modern structure.

cant forget that people who spew low prices on house rentals usualy have ugly unlivable houses for anyone that is used to middle class living

like myself if i had a house that looked like this

. . .

I would not live there.

People that care about such things are willing to pay for them. Fixing up a house so it was absolutely gorgeous would be a lot cheaper to do here in Thailand than back home, and you'd get a better result, handmade furniture rather than factory crap etc, custom-design draperies from fabric you select yourself rather than off the shelf, painting every two years instead of four, etc. And since the base shell of the house itself is renting for so much less the total cost would be far lower than back home.

If your child goes to a Thai school and you are not fluent in Thai than you will not be able to play an active role in her education.

If you want her taught in English than you will have to pony up a tidy sum and move to a big city. The big cities, especially Bangkok seem like terrible places to raise children. You will need to pay registration tuition and bribes to get her into your desired school. And then if you decide to change locations or you do not like the school, you will need to start all over again.

In the US, teachers are very hard working people. They do it because they love teaching and children. My brother and mother are constantly going into their own pocket for classroom expenses. I wonder how often farang teachers do that. I wonder if farang teachers stay up to midnight preparing work for the next day or if they stay up to midnight updating their Thailand Blog, partying, or planning their next trip. It strikes me that farang teachers true passion is Thailand/Asia/traveling and NOT children/teaching.

I do think there are some advantages to raising your children in Thailand so not saying the coin is one-sided. And of course, for some people, moving back to the West is not a real option for whatever reasons.

Children's education is one area where you do need to pay more or suffer substandard results. How much of an impact that has on the overall cost of living depends on many other factors, just as if imported vintage cars were a priority in your life.

I suspect for those spending a total of THB150,000 a month one child's education wouldn't tip the balance as long as they weren't too demanding of (IMO overblown) western standards in the other areas of their life.

IMO as long as they're getting a decent education in a Thai school, the 2-3 hours a day I spend with them afterwards will give them what they need on the English side. But then with my first crop we home-schooled them until 11 and 13 yo anyway and they slotted into the school system just fine. If I were wealthy I'd take that approach again, wouldn't cost that much to have a full-time English-speaking tutor if you didn't want to do it all yourself.

I have a five brm house in Northern Thailand in a walled compound that is paid for at a price about 1/10 of what a similar house would cost in most usa states.. I eat out at least ten times a week. I have a car and two motorbikes. I have cable tv, iinternet, a/c, etc. I have a maid and a gardnerer once a month. A nice lady picks up my laundry and returns it nice and clean and folded once a week. I have a decent health insurance policy for about 2000 baht a month. I can afford to go see most any doctor i want without having to take a second mortgage. If my car has a problem i can have it fixed for a fraction of what i would pay in USA. My car insurance is a fraction of what it is in the USA.Overall i spend less than half of what i spend in the usa.

There are SOME things that are more expensive in Thailand. If you insist of eating imported food, buying imported items, and trying to recreate your life in USA by shopping in places like villa markets or the emporium style malls you will spend a bundle. If you decide instead to enjoy Thai food and buy stuff made in Thailand in more local markets iit will cost a fraction of what you would pay in the usa.

There are many things that cost more in Thailand but if you steer clear from those things as much as possilbe (no choice on some like paying way more for a new car) you should be able to live a very pleasant lifesyle for way less than a similar lifestyle would cost in most USA states.

Are there some things cheaper in USA? Absolutely. BUT when you compare items like health care, eating out in local restaruants, shopping for fresh vegetables, hiring a maid or a gardener or a massage or a hair cut or almost ANY service that is primarily labor Thailand is WAY CHEAPER.

But of course there are many who want to live in a high rise penthouse in an upscale bkk building and furnish it with imported furniture, shop at villa market and eat lots of imported foods, enjoy buffets at the Oriental hotel, drink imported wines, and have some pretty young lady half your age attend to your every need it will not come cheaply. UP TO YOU.

All l want is a BigMac or three, twice a week. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I have a five brm house in Northern Thailand in a walled compound that is paid for at a price about 1/10 of what a similar house would cost in most usa states.. I eat out at least ten times a week. I have a car and two motorbikes. I have cable tv, iinternet, a/c, etc. I have a maid and a gardnerer once a month. A nice lady picks up my laundry and returns it nice and clean and folded once a week. I have a decent health insurance policy for about 2000 baht a month. I can afford to go see most any doctor i want without having to take a second mortgage. If my car has a problem i can have it fixed for a fraction of what i would pay in USA. My car insurance is a fraction of what it is in the USA.Overall i spend less than half of what i spend in the usa.

There are SOME things that are more expensive in Thailand. If you insist of eating imported food, buying imported items, and trying to recreate your life in USA by shopping in places like villa markets or the emporium style malls you will spend a bundle. If you decide instead to enjoy Thai food and buy stuff made in Thailand in more local markets iit will cost a fraction of what you would pay in the usa.

There are many things that cost more in Thailand but if you steer clear from those things as much as possilbe (no choice on some like paying way more for a new car) you should be able to live a very pleasant lifesyle for way less than a similar lifestyle would cost in most USA states.

Are there some things cheaper in USA? Absolutely. BUT when you compare items like health care, eating out in local restaruants, shopping for fresh vegetables, hiring a maid or a gardener or a massage or a hair cut or almost ANY service that is primarily labor Thailand is WAY CHEAPER.

But of course there are many who want to live in a high rise penthouse in an upscale bkk building and furnish it with imported furniture, shop at villa market and eat lots of imported foods, enjoy buffets at the Oriental hotel, drink imported wines, and have some pretty young lady half your age attend to your every need it will not come cheaply. UP TO YOU.

All l want is a BigMac or three, twice a week. thumbsup.gif

All I want is a couple of quid and a bit of skirt in a taxi .....

I have a five brm house in Northern Thailand in a walled compound that is paid for at a price about 1/10 of what a similar house would cost in most usa states.. I eat out at least ten times a week. I have a car and two motorbikes. I have cable tv, iinternet, a/c, etc. I have a maid and a gardnerer once a month. A nice lady picks up my laundry and returns it nice and clean and folded once a week. I have a decent health insurance policy for about 2000 baht a month. I can afford to go see most any doctor i want without having to take a second mortgage. If my car has a problem i can have it fixed for a fraction of what i would pay in USA. My car insurance is a fraction of what it is in the USA.Overall i spend less than half of what i spend in the usa. There are SOME things that are more expensive in Thailand. If you insist of eating imported food, buying imported items, and trying to recreate your life in USA by shopping in places like villa markets or the emporium style malls you will spend a bundle. If you decide instead to enjoy Thai food and buy stuff made in Thailand in more local markets iit will cost a fraction of what you would pay in the usa. There are many things that cost more in Thailand but if you steer clear from those things as much as possilbe (no choice on some like paying way more for a new car) you should be able to live a very pleasant lifesyle for way less than a similar lifestyle would cost in most USA states. Are there some things cheaper in USA? Absolutely. BUT when you compare items like health care, eating out in local restaruants, shopping for fresh vegetables, hiring a maid or a gardener or a massage or a hair cut or almost ANY service that is primarily labor Thailand is WAY CHEAPER. But of course there are many who want to live in a high rise penthouse in an upscale bkk building and furnish it with imported furniture, shop at villa market and eat lots of imported foods, enjoy buffets at the Oriental hotel, drink imported wines, and have some pretty young lady half your age attend to your every need it will not come cheaply. UP TO YOU.

I agreed with you right up the

>pretty young lady half your age attend to your every need

and that by far is where the price differential favours Thailand far more than any other.

But only if you're smart and do it right.

And PS not at all hard to set up your life so you don't need a car if that's a priority, the west should never have let that way of life dictate the designs of our communities, going to have to change one day maybe not too far off.

seriously whats with the reading comprehension levels of 2 year olds among thaivisa members?

You live in the middle of nowhere. You'd get the same thing in the middle of utah or nebraska for the same price. If you need to cut some prices down, you get a mexican to do it.

and cmon those who say you can fix up a rental. It's a rental. It's not yours. Fixing someone's elses house for a year or 2? hell no.

Delusion of the sexpat i call it.

You can say you love living in thailand, but you cant say its cheaper. Those who close their eyes and justify their reason to live here as the cheaper cost are here for the girls and nothing else.

Edited by Hostile17

seriously whats with the reading comprehension levels of 2 year olds among thaivisa members?

You live in the middle of nowhere. You'd get the same thing in the middle of utah or nebraska for the same price. If you need to cut some prices down, you get a mexican to do it.

and cmon those who say you can fix up a rental. It's a rental. It's not yours. Fixing someone's elses house for a year or 2? hell no.

Delusion of the sexpat i call it.

You can say you love living in thailand, but you cant say its cheaper. Those who close their eyes and justify their reason to live here as the cheaper cost are here for the girls and nothing else.

Rubbish, or <deleted> if you like. Blinkered or what. laugh.png

• Like 1

Up to you. I've never stayed in a house for less than 4 years myself, and if the rent is low enough there's plenty of money left over to make it nice if that's important to you, as you indicated it was to you. Your total cost per month - which in the end is all that's important from a financial POV - is still much lower than it would be back in the states.

I'm in the middle of Bangkok, fifteen minute's walk and five minute boat ride from Sathorn pier BTS, five storey row house for B11,500. My house before that was even close to the CBD, 2BR 2bath for B4,500. All it takes is a bit of time and shoe leather if you have the language skills.

I can and I do, maybe you can't because of what you consider important, that's your problem not ours, the obvious majority here are answering the OP with a resounding "hell yes".

And BTW nothing wrong with being here for the girls, it's true to the extent that's a priority it's even more clearly "yes", but even without that it still holds for most.

My life on B50K a month here is 100x better than my life back in NYC was on 200K+ per year.

to repeat with a little more emphasis, a previous answer to your strange ideas about the cost of living in Thailand (not Bangkok):

<deleted> [ˈbɒləks], ballocks US, <deleted> [ˈbɒlɪks] Slang

pl n

1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Anatomy) another word for testicles

2. nonsense; rubbish

interj

1. an exclamation of annoyance, disbelief, etc

vb (usually foll by up) to muddle or botch

is it really better or are you finaly getting laid? There's a huge difference. Yes this place is amazing for someone with no personality or bad looks, but it still isnt cheaper to live than most places.

You're assuming one would have any interest whatsoever in what might be available back home, but I don't. These apples just aren't available at all over there and I really don't want those oranges.

If I approached anyone comparable to my spinners here I'd be an absolute pariah, the fact that they're of legal age has nothing to do with it since I'm 3x theirs. And I prefer to keep things on a business footing anyway, and the equivalent there are charging well over $500 per session and deliver a very mechanical impersonal service, very different from my much more genuine relationships here.

But as I said many times so far even taking such services out of the picture, for my life and my choices - and those of most others in this thread it's still much cheaper here.

I understand for some that's not the case, but you are completely full of it if you think your unique profile matches that of many others.

I work here. I enjoy life here. I like to think I have a personality, and don't chase the girls. Not because I am not handsum, but because I am married (24 years near enough). I do like looking though so am not dead yet smile.png. I have no idea about the cost of living in Nebraska, Saskatoon, or John o' Groats, but when I mentioned to my sis, who is a bank manager, how much I am spending/saving here, while still living very comfortably, she was gobsmacked, and I am not on an expat package.

I do not shop at Emporium, Paragon or other such places where people go to be seen as they just do not tickle my fancy or ring my bell but I do shop for work clothes at Central (overpriced though it be). I have big feet so footwear is a problem and I usually pay about Baht 3k for shoes (I have no idea how much shoes are in the UK so cannot say whether that is comparatively expensive or not). I eat Thai food for lunch and dinner and have a cup of tea for breakfast. I have absolutely no interest in going out for a meal at an overpriced steak restaurant (pick your own style of restaurant), but will indulge once in a while on Japanese. I won't refuse though if my boss offers to take me out as part of a group, team spirit, saving face and all those other excuses apply here. I eat out no more than I would in the UK, which is not very often (excluding the Thai curry shops and food shops where you order by the plate such as fried rice or beef in sweet basil with chillies over rice (grapaow would be simpler)), which I do not class as restaurants in the "usual" sense. If you are eating out at restaurants all the time then you will pay a lot, but don't complain when you would not do the same back in your home country.

I have high speed internet at home and cable TV (Gold), 42 inch flat screen TV, top of the line microwave and all the other trappings of a modern home, so I am not living in a cave or shack. I do not have a mobile phone though as I see no point. An unnecessary expense. I am either at work or at home, and if I am in neither of those places, I do not wish to speak to you anyway. tongue.png Alas, I will have to join the masses in the next week or two, as one is being forced upon me by my office.

I do not own a car and haven't driven for the 29 years I have lived here. I do not own a motorbike but my son does. The rare occasion when a car would be useful (I live in BKK), is not sufficient to warrant the expense. It would sit in the driveway and get taken out once every blue moon. Anyway, I can call a taxi to pick me up outside my home, which only adds another 20 Baht over the meter cost. Perhaps it may be slightly more in the West to do that. wink.png

Blah, blah, blah........The long and the short of it is, it can be very much cheaper (still living comfortably - pure assumption on my part), it can be the same (a bit more luxurious lifestyle), or it can cost the same (landed gentry looked after by the serfs).

• Like 1

is it really better or are you finaly getting laid? There's a huge difference. Yes this place is amazing for someone with no personality or bad looks, but it still isnt cheaper to live than most places.

You're assuming one would have any interest whatsoever in what might be available back home, but I don't. These apples just aren't available at all over there and I really don't want those oranges.

If I approached anyone comparable to my spinners here I'd be an absolute pariah, the fact that they're of legal age has nothing to do with it since I'm 3x theirs. And I prefer to keep things on a business footing anyway, and the equivalent there are charging well over $500 per session and deliver a very mechanical impersonal service, very different from my much more genuine relationships here.

But as I said many times so far even taking such services out of the picture, for my life and my choices - and those of most others in this thread it's still much cheaper here.

I understand for some that's not the case, but you are completely full of it if you think your unique profile matches that of many others.

So there you have it. Your saving on hookers.

Hookers arent part of most people's life.

In Thailand, hookers are a part of most mens lives.

If they were as cheap and available in the rest of the world, they would be too.

I think most men wouldn't have sex with a prostitute even if it was free.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

In Thailand, hookers are a part of most mens lives.

If they were as cheap and available in the rest of the world, they would be too.

I think most men wouldn't have sex with a prostitute even if it was free.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Think again.

well those men are rarer on this forum and around bars. But yeah, the average normal looking person with a good personality would much rather find someone he enjoys and that enjoys him to have random sex with. A physical connection is very important, just having sex with a better looking girl than you can usualy get is not that fun. But then again most people who use a prostitute wouldnt know that since thats all they do.

So dont put everyone in the same boat, this isnt pattayaaddicts.

Remove hookers and large thai cities are more expensive than the west for a decent standard of living. We are not talking about living on social security standards.

Edited by Hostile17

well those men are rarer on this forum and around bars. But yeah, the average normal looking person with a good personality would much rather find someone he enjoys and that enjoys him to have random sex with. A physical connection is very important, just having sex with a better looking girl than you can usualy get is not that fun. But then again most people who use a prostitute wouldnt know that since thats all they do.

Hookers are not only useful for men to have sex.

They can cook you lunch, drink with you, play pool, hold the baby while you play pool, etc.

Random sex with someone you don't know and have no ongoing responsibility for can also be fun.

I suspect you haven't had relationships with many women, relationships can become tiring very quickly.

Hookers never have headaches and they never say "I just don't feel in the mood tonight"

Hookers are great.

So dont put everyone in the same boat, this isnt pattayaaddicts.

Remove hookers and large thai cities are more expensive than the west for a decent standard of living. We are not talking about living on social security standards.

Oh <deleted>, give it up will you.

You're actually sitting there trying to convince people who've already screamed that YES, for them, Thailand is significantly cheaper than their homelands that they're wrong about their own fuggin' circumstances.

Accommodation is cheaper, food is cheaper, taxis are cheaper, cigarettes are cheaper, gasoline is cheaper. That's it. Period. Move on !

As for the hooker issue, who elected you to pass judgment on what people get up to in this country? Agreed it's unsavoury for most but if these leathery old goats want to shag young girls they'd ordinarily not have a hope in hell of shagging, who the f*** are you to say they're wrong?

• Like 2

So there you have it. Your saving on hookers.

Do you even bother reading? I've told you multiple times that even taking the sex workers out of the equation, my lifestyle is much cheaper than it would be back home.

You can use weasel words like "decent level of lifestyle" and define it however you like to match up with your preferences, but don't think that your definition applies to more than a small number of posters here, as has been made clear by many others besides myself.

Give it up, you're wrong if you're trying to generalize.

• Like 2