Ptt & Tot Launches Free Wifi In 200 Gas Stations

Rimmer

PTT & TOT launches free Wifi in 200 gas stations

BANGKOK, 22 May 2012 – PTT Public Company Limited and TOT Public Company Limited have joined hands providing free Wi-Fi service at 200 PTT gas stations in Bangkok and other provinces.

PTT Executive Vice President for the Oil Business Unit Saran Rangkasiri has announced that PTT and TOT have collaborated to launch a free wireless internet service under the name “PTT Free Wi-Fi by TOT” to provide patrons of PTT gas stations with access to the online world. Initially, the free Wi-Fi project is available at 200 gas stations in Bangkok and other provinces. It is expected that the free service will be available at 1,000 PTT gas stations within the next 5-6 months.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2012/05/22/ptt-tot-launches-free-wifi-in-200-gas-stations/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2012-05-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Like 1

Just waiting to top up, they are gonna log on to the Internet, bang goes that old rule about not using a phone when filling up.

It's complete bs, but I was just thinking that.

Good news if you live next to one though.

Will the attendants (usually Cambodian) at the PTT gas stations still place one of those ridiculous, and entirely unnecessary signs on the bonnet/hood of your car displaying "Switch off engine ha ha ha", "No smoking" and " Do not use mobile phone"? Of course they will!!!!!

Edit: Spelling

Edited by GamLing

I read recently that research has shown most accidental fires when people are filling up are are caused not by mobile phone use but rather by static electricity built up while riding inside the car. Fleeting bodily contact with the metal body of the car, which has a high capacity to earth/ground, causes the static to discharge and spark. So the old ban on mobile phone use at filling stations is based on myth rather than fact.

Edited by Honkytowner

TOT should perfect the service they provide already without expanding

I upgraded from 4 MB to 7MB ,at same price, but the speed is just the

same !!, Think they are just figure's they pull from the air, or maybe

somewhere else !!!

regards Worgeordie

Jeesuss <deleted>' kerrist! The most popular gas station in Thailand is giving their customers (and wingeing expats) something for free and all you pathetic buggers can do is complain? For those crying foul on the stated 'technical' issues for turning off your cellphone when pumping gas; I just bet you lot turn your bloody cellphone off on the airplane when the cabin crew tells you to as well huh? That of course would be on non- THAI flights as you are all probably part of the wingeing herd that refuses to fly them...because they are Thai. But when you DO have to fly with THAI (heaven forbid), you deliberately leave your phone on in another pathetic "<deleted>-you" gesture.

Back OT, does anyone ever use the alternative gas stations in LOS? I mean how can Texaco, Shell, Esso and the likes manage to stay open? Compared to PTT, they have NOTHING that can compete with 7-eleven for service and goods, their restrooms are generally disgusting and they have rubbish coffee shops and noodle stalls. Now PTT will have free wifi as well? I know where I will carry on buying my fuel from.

PS. Don't bother tooting your horn as you wait behind me while a Twitter away either.

Edited by NanLaew

I read recently that research has shown most accidental fires when people are filling up are are caused not by mobile phone use but rather by static electricity built up while riding inside the car. Fleeting bodily contact with the metal body of the car, which has a high capacity to earth/ground, causes the static to discharge and spark. So the old ban on mobile phone use at filling stations is based on myth rather than fact.

(Sitting on the banks of the Caspian reading electrical engineering specifications)

There is a lot of myth in this. The danger comes when there is sufficient leakage of petroleum vapours into the air in the vicinity of a hot item or an arcior spark.

Without being detailed or technical, too much vapour & not enough air, or too much air, not enough vapour and nothing happens, But, with the right gas/air mix and a nice hot substance, like a cigarette end or the static discharge from a non-earthed (ungrounded for the Americans) vehicle and you get an ignition. This could be a simple flash as all the gas is burnt or, if there's a continuous leak, then it becomes what is technically referred to as a "Raging Inferno Of Death And Devastation".

This little ban on phones came about when mobile phones were still built in cars or were the size of a house brick. There was a considerable amount of energy packed into those which, if a power connection came loose, and you have lots of petroleum (ok "gasoline"... jeez) vapours there could be an ignition. It's a one in a million shot but, when you look at the insurance money involved... It's the same reason for turning off your engine, whihc is a much more available source of heat.

Jeesuss <deleted>' kerrist! The most popular gas station in Thailand is giving their customers (and wingeing expats) something for free and all you pathetic buggers can do is complain?

Apart from the small fact that they're not giving anything to expats - whingeing or otherwise. You need a Thai National ID Number to register to use the service.

Jeesuss <deleted>' kerrist! The most popular gas station in Thailand is giving their customers (and wingeing expats) something for free and all you pathetic buggers can do is complain?

Apart from the small fact that they're not giving anything to expats - whingeing or otherwise. You need a Thai National ID Number to register to use the service.

OMG! The whingeing herd will be totally inconsolable with that wee nugget of info.

I use the number on my Alien Tibian Bahn (yellow book) for this. Also worked for online subscriptions and account setup for True and other 'nationalistic' local services.