Farming Land Title

fellas what is the general classification of the land titles you are using,, for rubber especially ?...Chanote , nor sor 3 ? sor bor kor 401 ? sk1 ? , i am trying to determine if you can in fact upgrade land titles particularly sbk 401 or sk 1 .... to nor sor 3 or nor sor 3 gor ...has anyone done it or investigated how to do it ... i have read the link to the act going back to 1972 when the farmers were given the opp to upgrade the land deeds .. but what can be done now ?

cheers

Of the six plots we've bought and planted rubber on 4 were with chanotes, the other 2 I honestly don't know what classification they had, but directly after buying we paid to have them surveyed and had to get a neighbor from an ajoining plot of land and the previous owner along with the survey to confirm the lands location. This was registered not at our local Amphur office but in another village and could only be done at one time of the year. Then it was a wait of a least one more year and then the chanotes were issued at a different office just down the road from us. Again only one time during the year does this happen, if you miss it you wait untill next year.

Believe me when I say I let the wife handle all this, she does seem to know what to do around our area which is about 120km northeast of Udon Thani.

We've never used a lawyer and have chanotes for everything we've bought and planted.

Please do not take this as advice on what you should do, just our personal experience.

And for what it's worth I don't look at anything without a chanote anymore

Ken

thanks fellas both great replies ... correct about the hillside i did read that somewhere . Ken i would be keen to find out if you had sbk 401 or sk1.... it makes a lot of sense to get these properties into some sort of proper deed , the banks for thais i believe will not accept sbk 402 or sk1 as security only chanote or nor sor 3 .... i have a mission in front of me but i want to sort this for the extended family to enable them to expand a little ... for me i only look at chanote as well....

also if anyone has experiences with the banks using this type of land as security please fill me in .

Cheers

ps Ken as a side matter, obviously upgrading the land titles improved the value of the two parcels of land ,but was it a costly affair ?

I just had a chat with my land agent (and wife).

According to her the bigger plot (27rai) that we bought had no land title on it, what I would call in Canada, crown land. It had already been planted with rubber 3 years before and he had to sell for car payments and we picked it up incredibly cheap. The reason for the outright sale was as you say, he couldn't get money for the land from the Government saving Bank because no land title. This was four years ago. The survey crew cost no more than 1,500 baht and it was 500 baht each to the neighbor and previous owner to accompany us for the day to do the paperwork, so basically pocket change.

From what I've read and know from the wife all these land tiltle issues's are a complete no man's land, the rules are very fluid

The previous owner of the land we bought had tried to get a chanote and could'nt.

Family of the wife's have asked her how she got a chanote so quickly and they can not

Good luck with your endevors

Ken

Ours was Sor bor Kor, currently under review (last 4 years) The boss asked about upgrading to Chanote, but was told it is on a hill side cannot do.

I think that land with a slope of 45 degree or more is not to be used for any commercial/private purpose. I seem to remember reading this and a local land office official confimed when asked and noted that any private ownership was illegal. Not sure how people are getting away with planting fruit trees on the side of the mountains north of Chang Dao, but they have managed to clear and replant the majority of land visable from the highway.over the past 15 years or so.