Cheapest Western Meals On The South Side Of Chiang Mai

JimShortz

Hi southern Chiang Mai Cheap Charlies; you know who you are! Lets see if anyone can beat this one! My latest discovery...

Fish and chips (small portion, but very tasty) - 50 Baht

Burger in a bun with salad + chips - 35 Baht

Iced Latte, 30 Baht

They actually do a lot of other stuff, including Thai food, but my kids like both of these best, and I like the cheap coffee and beers at shop prices...

It's a small open fronted cafe called "The Nest" run by a lady who is very well spoken and speaks pretty good English; she even has a selection of English books to read, and is just very nice, with a bit of class! - hence me writing this up, she deserves to do well, but due to location and being new is not too busy at the moment...

So, the location: Head south on the Hangdong Road, go past Tesco/Lotus, and then take the next left turn (it's after a couple hundred metres and directly opposite a blocked off u-turn). Follow that road for a kilometre or so as it wiggles through some ridiculously tight (hard 90 degree) turns. Eventually you arrive at a T-Junction where a market is held on Saturday, Monday and Wednesday afternoons. You have now gone 20m too far. Turn around and you see it on your left.

PS It only holds a maximum of about 20 people inside and out. If I arrive there and it's packed I am going to ask who heard about this on Thaivisa and expect you to give up your seat for me!

partytime2.gif

• Like 1

I'm a regular at that market, but always have difficulty giving the directions.

Thanks for the thumbs up on this eating place.....what's the opening hours, as the market doesn't really get going until about 4pm on the days stated. Hope the influx of farang's, will not send the 5 Baht onions and tomatoes soaring.biggrin.png

Edited by uptheos

Thanks for the thumbs up on this eating place.....what's the opening hours, as the market doesn't really get going until about 4pm on the days stated. Hope the influx of farang's, will not send the 5 Baht onions and tomatoes soaring.biggrin.png

Lol - yes, I hope so too! I believe it opens 8am to 8pm, but don't hold me to it...

If it does, the market is just 15 meters away. wink.png

Anyone with google map coordinate of this place? Me terrible with direction.

It sounds like it's here. If only everyone used Google Maps / Streetview.

http://g.co/maps/m43m9

I can see the tomatoes reaching 6 Baht already......restaurant only guys.thumbsup.gif

Tomato only 6 baht? I hope to find the 15 bath banana here as well.

It sounds like it's here. If only everyone used Google Maps / Streetview.

I can see the tomatoes reaching 6 Baht already......restaurant only guys.thumbsup.gif

Tomato only 6 baht? I hope to find the 15 bath banana here as well.

You can find them anywhere.

Cunning man pay 5 baht for tomato. Wise man make sure good place not go out of business. wai.gif

Can I take a song tell?

Not only can you take one, it's even a YELLOW one, and you take it all the way to point 'A', here:

http://g.co/maps/thbrk

Then it's a 1km / 10 minute walk.

I actually had it figured out. I go right past that road to see my Doctor. It is a walker from there.

It sounds like it's here. If only everyone used Google Maps / Streetview. Convoluted 'directions' are so 1 year ago. smile.png

Nice work Winnie, that is indeed a picture of the front, except of course that photo is so a couple of months ago - before the buildings were occupied! ;-0

I wonder what the chances are of a franchise showing up in the NWish (KSK area) The last burger and salad combo I had on Nimmana Rd. was about the size of 10 baht coin and still cost 120 baht before bevy. Hmmm...a co-op burger joint. Just thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

I had gone by a few mornings and they were closed. (Opens at 8:30)

But kept trying. And Very Happy I did. Shop is not the easiest to find. But very clean, and charming. Quiet and nice view. At the time had American oldies playing. Thai and Many western dishes. I could not decide so I ordered the fish and chips, as well as a Bacon Potato dish, and lemon shake. My friend had a cheese burger with all the fixing and made it to order just like he wanted. All were excelent. All were very under priced. Free Ice water. Good service, English speaking. (English UK) I will be back again very soon

I hope you give it a try too

I wonder what the chances are of a franchise showing up in the NWish (KSK area) The last burger and salad combo I had on Nimmana Rd. was about the size of 10 baht coin and still cost 120 baht before bevy. Hmmm...a co-op burger joint. Just thinking.

Around the pretentious Nimmenhemin area.........just think nouveau cuisine.

Not really the place for a triple whopper bacon burger, with extra cheese and grease.

• 1 month later...

well found it today-----so much for the cheap prices....burger still 35 but all the western dishes 80'ish

was nice enough--had a 20bt cup of tea...nice woman..cute ladies-staff..right next to the market...

Clean and roomy shop

Wonderful staff with decent English

Good service,

Prices starting at about 30 Bt. and lower than anywhere else around

more than I can say about most places

Yes I am a repeat customer !

well found it today-----so much for the cheap prices....burger still 35 but all the western dishes 80'ish

was nice enough--had a 20bt cup of tea...nice woman..cute ladies-staff..right next to the market...

I think I drove by twice but was closed both times. Any idea on opening hours (or opening days, I suppose)

She's Christian or something? Closed Sundays? That always seems silly to me to close on Sundays. The otherwise Excellent Blue Diamond in Moon Muang Soi 9 also manages that.

I think I drove by twice but was closed both times. Any idea on opening hours (or opening days, I suppose)

She's Christian or something? Closed Sundays? That always seems silly to me to close on Sundays. The otherwise Excellent Blue Diamond in Moon Muang Soi 9 also manages that.

not sure of the hours..took a card but pitched it as i know the loc and wasnt wow'd by i but will return for the burger maybe--im poor and eat on a budget....the 80 baht fish n chips is too high for me...but typical thai food was 30-35...nice shop--cute gals--good tea..i think she made me oolong form her stash as she doesnt have any hot tea other than earl grey--yuk....sat and read one of her books while the market thais gawked at me..."there goes the neighborhood-another farang!"

but i just moved in the area and will stop back to eat..as i only had tea the other day-already ate..

80 THB for a meal is too high???blink.png

not sure of the hours..took a card but pitched it as i know the loc and wasnt wow'd by i but will return for the burger maybe--im poor and eat on a budget....the 80 baht fish n chips is too high for me...but typical thai food was 30-35...nice shop--cute gals--good tea..i think she made me oolong form her stash as she doesnt have any hot tea other than earl grey--yuk....sat and read one of her books while the market thais gawked at me..."there goes the neighborhood-another farang!"

but i just moved in the area and will stop back to eat..as i only had tea the other day-already ate..

80 THB for a meal is too high???blink.png

Hard times indeed when 80 baht is to expensive for a meal,how tragic.

Reckon we'll put you up for Cheap Charlie of the year mate !

• Like 1