Yellow Book

westbounder

I just bought a house here in Chiang Mai (San Patong) and my Thai friend says I am now eligable for a yellow book.

What does this mean and what can this yellow book do for me now and in the future?

Please explain if you know the details of this.

Thanks

It’s not about being eligible, it’s about being compliant with Thai law……As a non-Thai you need to show where you reside, (just like a Thai) Get one, it’s worth it………Buy a motorbike, car……Whatever.

But I’ve no doubt someone will tell you they have lived here 60 years and don’t need one, so don’t sweat it!

• Like 1

Get it from your local amphur office - take a Thai with you to simplify the process and it's dead handy once you have it. E.G Brit consulate want 2,500thb for the top bloke's signature to say you live here (residency certificate), CM immigration want 500thb for the same - both valid for 30 days. Yellow book is free and validity is indefinite. I buy/sell motorcycles and have benefitted hugely by having the book - no certs needed at the LTO when registering a bike. Dunno if it'd be handy for much else though but seeing as it's free....... whistling.gif

Cheers,

Pikey.

Offering a "Yellow Book" when applying for visa extensions has shortened the interview process FOR ME at Immigration.

Also, if you read the other threads mentioned I think you will see that the process for obtaining a Yellow Book differs at different amphur offices.... much to the chagrin of those thinking everything should be the same.... like it is where they came from.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

A very useful document which saves so much time,hassle and money. Go get one today !

Do you have to own the house or would a rental do? unsure.png

I'm pretty sure you have to own the house. In my case, the wife owns the house but my name is also on the chanote via the usufruct agreement we had drawn up when we bought our place. Not sure if this is necessary or not to get the yellow book.

Cheers,

Pikey.

A Ta Bian Baan or Tabien Bahn is an administratative document which gives the address of the house and states the persons who live in it (it could state the name of the owner but not necessarily). There are 2 types of Tabian Baan: 1 The blue Ta Bian Baan (Thor.Ror.14) for Thai nationals and 2 the yellow Ta Bian Baan (Thor.Ror.13) for foreigners. Foreigners can usually only be registered as the owner of the house in a yellow book.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

A very useful document which saves so much time,hassle and money. Go get one today !

I'm pretty sure you have to own the house. In my case, the wife owns the house but my name is also on the chanote via the usufruct agreement we had drawn up when we bought our place. Not sure if this is necessary or not to get the yellow book.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Not necessary to own the property to get a yellow tabien bahn. But if you do not own the property you need the co-operation of the owner to get the tabien bahn, which could prove difficult if you just rent.

Sophon

Cheers,

Pikey.

Not necessary to own the property to get a yellow tabien bahn. But if you do not own the property you need the co-operation of the owner to get the tabien bahn, which could prove difficult if you just rent.

Sophon

What would such a co-operation consist of?