Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

Did a 20 minute run instead of a row, now i know its true that stamina does not transfer that easily. I was panting and having a hard time. Not to mention the soreness in my legs today.

For fat loss and stamina its advised to rotate your cardio, so sometimes rowing then running or cycling. Because our body gets used to a certain movement. It does not ONLY mean stamina gets better. I saw the vid after my run and thought that they were 100% right about it.

I will keep on rowing but will bring other cardio in my program too.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Did a 20 minute run instead of a row, now i know its true that stamina does not transfer that easily. I was panting and having a hard time. Not to mention the soreness in my legs today.

For fat loss and stamina its advised to rotate your cardio, so sometimes rowing then running or cycling. Because our body gets used to a certain movement. It does not ONLY mean stamina gets better. I saw the vid after my run and thought that they were 100% right about it.

I will keep on rowing but will bring other cardio in my program too.

That's for sure. I can row a straight 6 or even 10km, but I couldn't run the same. It uses a different muscle set and I would be wiped out. I've never really liked running though so it would be even harder to force myself to do it rather than rowing.  Now cycling is another matter, I love it, but never found it really good for cardio as I am never racing anywhere 

43 minutes ago, GarryP said:

That's for sure. I can row a straight 6 or even 10km, but I couldn't run the same. It uses a different muscle set and I would be wiped out. I've never really liked running though so it would be even harder to force myself to do it rather than rowing.  Now cycling is another matter, I love it, but never found it really good for cardio as I am never racing anywhere 

I dont like running that much either, however just going to mix things up as my main goal is getting leaner. If you just row (or just run or just cycle) your body gets too efficient at it and burns less.

Plus it would be nice to build some extra stamina that carries over. But rowing will stay the main thing for my cardio.

Best row so far, but because i row every day and have 3 strength training sessions too im not revovering. My legs have been sore for 3 weeks straight. The fact that im on a caloric deficit does not help either no matter how many proteins i take.

Still give a nice feeling when done.

2022-01-19 10.34.57.jpg

2022-01-19 10.34.19.jpg

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Best row so far, but because i row every day and have 3 strength training sessions too im not revovering. My legs have been sore for 3 weeks straight. The fact that im on a caloric deficit does not help either no matter how many proteins i take.

Still give a nice feeling when done.

2022-01-19 10.34.57.jpg

2022-01-19 10.34.19.jpg

That is great considering you have not be back into rowing for long.

I am nowhere near where I used to be. My best time this season for 5,000m was back in July 2021 when I hit 20:27.6 which was an average pace of 2:02.7/500m. I don't think I will hit that again though.  But my all time best at 5,000m was back in October 2019 when I hit 19:36.2  (pace 1:57.6/500m). Looking back, I have no idea how I managed that. Age is certainly catching up with me and I think I can say good by to those times. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

That is great considering you have not be back into rowing for long.

I am nowhere near where I used to be. My best time this season for 5,000m was back in July 2021 when I hit 20:27.6 which was an average pace of 2:02.7/500m. I don't think I will hit that again though.  But my all time best at 5,000m was back in October 2019 when I hit 19:36.2  (pace 1:57.6/500m). Looking back, I have no idea how I managed that. Age is certainly catching up with me and I think I can say good by to those times. 

Garry, im not really aiming for great times or anything. For me its more the effort i put into it. But yes I am happy to see improvement.  I think its more important to do it and to give it your best as to chase previous records.

For lifting I have given that up for cardio there is room for improvement. Those times you mention are pretty impressive. Older or not. 

I think giving it good effort and making it a real workout is more important than actual numbers. But I get it we all want to improve or equal stuff from the past especially those of us that are mildly OCD with training like you and me too. 

Just doing it and keeping good cardiovascular health and stamina is important. Exercise has huge impact on quality of life. I feel loads more energetic as i did before i added cardio. 

My first 5000 meter, had a good 20 min row two days before. But i pushed too hard (upper back sore for two days). Now i keep some energy back to recover. If you row every day its best not to push yourself every day to the limit. 

Will be doing 5000 meter rows from now on till i decide its time to do 25 minute rows. Slowly working up to maybe 30 minutes. But for me that would be the cut off time for cardio i do every day.

2022-01-23 09.24.51.jpg

2022-01-23 09.25.31.jpg

• Like 1

Correct posture certainly plays an important part in performance. Every couple of months I try to make sure that I am doing it correctly. Sometimes I find I am using my arms too much so I will focus on my legs. Legs are the key power source, but I have found that as I tire I use my arms too much. Rarely have I been totally happy with a workout from start to finish. 

Today I did a 5km single row. Time nowhere near your level, but then I was quite tired before I even started.

2022-01-25 141455.jpg

22 hours ago, GarryP said:

Correct posture certainly plays an important part in performance. Every couple of months I try to make sure that I am doing it correctly. Sometimes I find I am using my arms too much so I will focus on my legs. Legs are the key power source, but I have found that as I tire I use my arms too much. Rarely have I been totally happy with a workout from start to finish. 

Today I did a 5km single row. Time nowhere near your level, but then I was quite tired before I even started.

2022-01-25 141455.jpg

Nice row and its not about how fast you do it but how much you are pushing yourself. I mean i am not about to compare myself with others who do it under 20 minutes. You have already done that I have not (or maybe I have in the past but I was more a time rower then distance rower)

Its actually really different a 5000 meter or a 20 minutes. Wile the times get close together the 5000 meter is far more focused on performance. 

Maybe its just how my mind works, 20 minutes is for me like its about the 20 minutes, 5000 meters is about getting it done fast. 

Just did an other row today, completed the 5000 meters in 20:36 (like a fraction of a second slower then the last time). In my mind i was going a lot slower. I must really not push myself too much but im always pushing myself. I keep telling myself today i go slow.. and then I don't.

But recovery is ok now so at least im not destroying myself. But i read its best not to push all the time as its better to stay below your best and push once in a while. It will yield more results. But knowing and doing are 2 different things.

Like you, I have found that sometimes you think you are having a much more relaxed row, and yet your time is better than when you seemed to be really pushing it. Probably, because I have found that when I am more relaxed I use my legs more and my arms less. 

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Like you, I have found that sometimes you think you are having a much more relaxed row, and yet your time is better than when you seemed to be really pushing it. Probably, because I have found that when I am more relaxed I use my legs more and my arms less. 

To be honest i also think that there is not much improvement to be made on times like this. Sure you did it once under 20 minutes (a dream time). But for me my last improvements came not from improved stamina but improved form. I am not sure how much more i can shave of this time. Just a few seconds every 500 meters makes a huge difference in how much effort it cost. 

But again im doing this mainly to get stamina and to aid fatloss ect. Still the competitive side in me is always looking for improvements and better times ect. Havent been able to lift much heavier in years so when i find something im untrained in i am love to see where i can get.

So are you now regularly rowing again ? Cant wait for the tablet holder to arrive so i can export stuff easier. 

39 minutes ago, robblok said:

So are you now regularly rowing again ? Cant wait for the tablet holder to arrive so i can export stuff easier. 

Yes, I am back into rowing again, although I have decided to reduce my monthly target from 160kms to 120. I used to do 6kms on Tues, Wed and Thurs, and 10 kms on Sat and Sun. But now I aim for 6kms 5 days a week. Took a day off today.  

So far 106,518ms this month so on target. 

Edited by GarryP

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Yes, I am back into rowing again, although I have decided to reduce my monthly target from 160kms to 120. I used to do 6kms on Tues, Wed and Thurs, and 10 kms on Sat and Sun. But now I aim for 6kms 5 days a week. Took a day off today.  

So far 106,518ms this month so on target. 

I try (and succeed) to do a 5k every day, but might go for time rowing later on or do as you do go for 6k just program it in. It depends a bit on my rate of weight loss. As long as its going down im not going to push cardio up too much. I like to be able to add more if i cant go down anymore. 

For me its a tool to help, though im pretty sure ill keep on rowing now as its simply good for my health. I will see should resumed rowing long ago. Its actually not bad at all. I tried the treadmill and i must say rowing is a lot more friendly for my body (low impact)

• Like 1

I rowed a Thursday, but friday and today i did not nor did i train. My body was feeling too tired. My legs were so heavy when i was walking up the steps and it was not getting any less. So i took a day off yesterday and today. I must say my legs are feeling a lot better. Tomorrow they might be back to normal. 

It was not really muscle soreness but mere a general feeling of tiredness and heavyness. But was pushing myself. I got my tablet holder but my PM4 did not want to connect (firmware issue). So i tried to update did not work. I might be able to but i ordered a PM5 as blue tooth would be far more useful then a cable connect. 

Will see how long it takes. But im a bit dissapointed that a simple firmware update is so hard. Normally not a problem but for some reason it keeps refusing. I contacted concept but got a standard reply (they had not even looked at my screen shots). 

• Like 1

I rowed a Thursday, but friday and today i did not nor did i train. My body was feeling too tired. My legs were so heavy when i was walking up the steps and it was not getting any less. So i took a day off yesterday and today. I must say my legs are feeling a lot better. Tomorrow they might be back to normal. 

It was not really muscle soreness but mere a general feeling of tiredness and heavyness. But was pushing myself. I got my tablet holder but my PM4 did not want to connect (firmware issue). So i tried to update did not work. I might be able to but i ordered a PM5 as blue tooth would be far more useful then a cable connect. 

Will see how long it takes. But im a bit dissapointed that a simple firmware update is so hard. Normally not a problem but for some reason it keeps refusing. I contacted concept but got a standard reply (they had not even looked at my screen shots). 

When I had a problem with mine, Concept2 got back really quickly and were very helpful. 

I assume you are using the Concept2 Utility. I used my laptop to update the Firmware and it was quite straightforward. But then I have the PM5. Where did you order the PM5 monitor from? Aviron?

I had a day off today too, but only because I had an appointment at the hospital and had a load of other stuff that needed attention. Will be back on it tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

When I had a problem with mine, Concept2 got back really quickly and were very helpful. 

I assume you are using the Concept2 Utility. I used my laptop to update the Firmware and it was quite straightforward. But then I have the PM5. Where did you order the PM5 monitor from? Aviron?

I had a day off today too, but only because I had an appointment at the hospital and had a load of other stuff that needed attention. Will be back on it tomorrow. 

I ordered my PM5 at concept itself (did not check anywhere else)

Will see when it comes.

I used the concept 2 utility and it should be easy. I am great with computers. But it does not work. Tried 2 different computers and all the usb ports.

But to be honest I can row with my pm4 but wanted to pair it with the  android app. Did not work because of firmware update.

Anyway I am happy i took a break (will be rowing tomorrow). My legs are feeling better right away. But I am doing heavy deadlifts and squat besides the rowing. Plus I push myself too hard (as usual)

• Like 1

Gary, what a lil rest cant do. 

I was complaining about my legs being heavy and i was tired. I was this way for a while now i think there was too much volume. Now my row after 2 days of rest. I think if i really want too i could make 20 minutes in the future. But only after more training and more resting. But my goal is fat loss so that wont happen soon. 

2022-01-30 11.31.34.jpg

2022-01-30 11.31.54.jpg

• Like 1

Im trying to hold back a bit as yesterdays row destroyed my legs, loads of muscle pains. I need to learn to not always go at it with all I got. So i tried did a 20:41 this time and it was easier.

I had my tablet connected to my PM4 i had more info on erg info but it would not upload the data to my concept2 account. I can only wait untill i get a pm4 to do that. Its a bit anoying. I had hoped that with the cable it would work.

Stroke lenght (or whatever its called) is interesting. The longer the lenght the more power you generate (but harder it is). I need to do a lot more about my technique. Ultimately I will connect the heartrate meter too. For extra information.

I am happy that the tablet holder is working and that i can force myself to hold back a bit. Constant pains are not fun.

Im trying to hold back a bit as yesterdays row destroyed my legs, loads of muscle pains. I need to learn to not always go at it with all I got. So i tried did a 20:41 this time and it was easier.

I had my tablet connected to my PM4 i had more info on erg info but it would not upload the data to my concept2 account. I can only wait untill i get a pm4 to do that. Its a bit anoying. I had hoped that with the cable it would work.

Stroke lenght (or whatever its called) is interesting. The longer the lenght the more power you generate (but harder it is). I need to do a lot more about my technique. Ultimately I will connect the heartrate meter too. For extra information.

I am happy that the tablet holder is working and that i can force myself to hold back a bit. Constant pains are not fun.

Here's my workout for today. No where near your your times. I find that sometimes I feel great but the times are bad while other times I don't feel particularly in the mood or I'm aching, yet the times are better. I've given up trying to work out in advance whether I'll have a good, mediocre or bad time. 

20220131_130611.jpg

Edited by GarryP

9 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Here's my workout for today. No where near your your times. I find that sometimes I feel great but the times are bad while other times I don't feel particularly in the mood or I'm aching, yet the times are better. I've given up trying to work out in advance whether I'll have a good, mediocre or bad time. 

20220131_130611.jpg

Garry,

For me its not so much about a good or bad time but more about not being too sore the next day. I want to row every day but if i push myself too hard the soreness accumulates. So now I am holding back on purpose, so I don't go too fast. I like to be able to lift weights on my weightlifting days too. 

A lot of that is squat and deadlift and those are for a large part leg exercise. So, I have to be careful. Plus, like i said im losing weight so my body does not have too many nutrients to recover as fast as normal.

I told you before your times are fine, it's more about effort put in than time achieved. My point being that for you this might a a hard row but i could get a faster low but still be lazy. Then if that is the case you would be the one with the better workout.

The only one you compete with is yourself IMHO.  

Besides you did it far better than me by rowing consistently over a longer period. I still have to make this a habit. Part of that is making sure i don't completely die each session. Otherwise, I will start to dread the rows and might not keep it up.

What i really like is that after a month of rowing my sleep is finally back to what it was years ago. I have had insomnia for so long now. But now I can sleep much better waking up just once and then falling back asleep. That makes me so happy as i had to use drugs (xanax, and others) just to stay asleep. It would only work for a few days and leave me groggy.

Ever since the cardio (took a month to take good effect) I sleep better and have more energy. Win win. But the last week i started to dread the rowing a bit. Because of how sore it left me and how tired i felt during a row. I believe in pushing myself but think pushing too much is not a good thing.  

I hope in future to go to 6000 or 7000 meters a day (depending on the weight loss). As long as what i do now combined with my diet yields results I wont go up. I will use that if i need to break a plateau. 

Once I can upload data properly I will give you access to my data on the concept site. 

52 minutes ago, robblok said:

Garry,

For me its not so much about a good or bad time but more about not being too sore the next day. I want to row every day but if i push myself too hard the soreness accumulates. So now I am holding back on purpose, so I don't go too fast. I like to be able to lift weights on my weightlifting days too. 

A lot of that is squat and deadlift and those are for a large part leg exercise. So, I have to be careful. Plus, like i said im losing weight so my body does not have too many nutrients to recover as fast as normal.

I told you before your times are fine, it's more about effort put in than time achieved. My point being that for you this might a a hard row but i could get a faster low but still be lazy. Then if that is the case you would be the one with the better workout.

The only one you compete with is yourself IMHO.  

Besides you did it far better than me by rowing consistently over a longer period. I still have to make this a habit. Part of that is making sure i don't completely die each session. Otherwise, I will start to dread the rows and might not keep it up.

What i really like is that after a month of rowing my sleep is finally back to what it was years ago. I have had insomnia for so long now. But now I can sleep much better waking up just once and then falling back asleep. That makes me so happy as i had to use drugs (xanax, and others) just to stay asleep. It would only work for a few days and leave me groggy.

Ever since the cardio (took a month to take good effect) I sleep better and have more energy. Win win. But the last week i started to dread the rowing a bit. Because of how sore it left me and how tired i felt during a row. I believe in pushing myself but think pushing too much is not a good thing.  

I hope in future to go to 6000 or 7000 meters a day (depending on the weight loss). As long as what i do now combined with my diet yields results I wont go up. I will use that if i need to break a plateau. 

Once I can upload data properly I will give you access to my data on the concept site. 

Good news on the sleep front. A good reason to keep at it. 

On 1/31/2022 at 2:39 PM, GarryP said:

Good news on the sleep front. A good reason to keep at it. 

That is for sure, today had a fast row again. Will see how i feel tomorrow. 

Concept told me they will ship within 7 working days (so will take some time for sure). For some reason erg data that connects to my rower does not use the right date so i cant upload it automatically to my concept2 account. I hope all those issues will be solved with a PM5. 

At least i wont have cables anymore in font of my tablet during rowing. 

Do you use a heart rate sensor ?

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is for sure, today had a fast row again. Will see how i feel tomorrow. 

Concept told me they will ship within 7 working days (so will take some time for sure). For some reason erg data that connects to my rower does not use the right date so i cant upload it automatically to my concept2 account. I hope all those issues will be solved with a PM5. 

At least i wont have cables anymore in font of my tablet during rowing. 

Do you use a heart rate sensor ?

Yes, I use a Polar H7 heart rate sensor. 

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Yes, I use a Polar H7 heart rate sensor. 

Do you actually have a target heart rate ? Or do you just wear it to record the data ?

I mean some people won't go over a certain range to make sure they don't train to hard others just use it record data and don't do much with it. 

48 minutes ago, robblok said:

Do you actually have a target heart rate ? Or do you just wear it to record the data ?

I mean some people won't go over a certain range to make sure they don't train to hard others just use it record data and don't do much with it. 

I do not have a target heart rate. I know what my average rates are so I know if I am going too hard or not hard enough. I can also pick out if there is something wrong, for example if the heart rate is unusually high for the level of exercise. In such case I may rest for a few minutes and start again. If the problem recurs then I may stop for the day. I must admit that this has only happened a couple of times over the past 5 years I've been rowing, but I think it wise to keep an eye on it. 

Usually my workouts top out at around 145, and only rarely do I hit 150.  My normal resting heart rate is 56.

For my age group (59 years old) my maximum heart rate should be around 161 (220 minus your age is an approximation of your maximum heart rate). When exercising my rates (based on age) should be around the below ranges, which in fact is pretty accurate for me. 

Moderate intensity exercise: (64%) 103 - (76%) 122

High intensity exercise: (77%) 124 - (93%) 150

• Like 1

Ok Garry, thanks for the info I will be starting to use my heart rate monitor soon too. I just got an email from concept2 that my PM5 monitor will be arriving next Monday (much faster than expected but given the shipping cost its justified).

It will probably help to connect my rower better to the tablet and store data better. I will  then share my user details with you and vice versa. I hope we can keep each other motivated. Though i think you need less motivation then me given how many KM you completed before. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Most of my rows are around this time. I think a lil slower might be better. Though if i can keep this up its ok. 

I think i still got a lot of technique to learn, it might improve things even more.

2022-02-02 11.27.44.jpg

Those are really good times. But I tend to do it a little bit different. My times start slow and gradually build up so the slowest 1,000m is the first one and the fastest is the last. I need some time to warm up and I want to save some of my energy. Also, I think diving straight in with full intensity from the beginning could have too many negatives (assuming you haven't warmed up before you start your 5km row).

In my lunch break now and heading up for my workout now. I am feeling a bit tired so will try to take it easy today.