Can You Use The Sports Facilities At Chiang Mai University?

californiabeachboy

I am coming over to CM for about three or four months, and looking at some condos to rent near Chiang Mai University.

Does anyone know if you can use the sports facilites at CMU (fitness center, pool, and badminton courts) if you are not student/staff? I don't mind paying a fee.

I sent an email to CMU but didn't get a response.

Thanks for any info.

Yes you can. You have to go to the office in the Gym and get a membership card - cost 300baht. You need your passport and a photo. I have been using the Gym for judo.

What does a 300 baht membership give you access to? How long does it last? Are we talking weights, cross-trainers, circuit training etc? Would appreciate any info you have.

also interested in knowing about this.

anyone know where people play ping pong around here? at cmu, perhaps? 700 year old stadium? ive only found the tables at kad suan kaew and the fitness joint where i work out...but no one really plays.

You do not need to buy a membership card to use the facilities, but you can. The 500 baht (not 300) membership card gives you a discount on the entry price to the various places. There is a 50 baht fee for the physical card at the time of your application. There is an option on the single-page one-sided membership form for college students at 300 baht and students at 200 baht -- but I do not know what proof they need to use these lower-cost options.

As I remember access to the pool with a membership card is nearly or at 50% less. You can get the "Membership Application Form" at the office across from the pool (as you face away from the pool, the office is the white building across the parking area on your upper right). They don't speak much English, but they will understand enough if you ask for a membership form and will be able to process it without much trouble.

This area was built for the ASEAN games some years ago and has some spectacular spaces to exercise. Some of the areas are in need of maintenance, but overall they are in good shape and safe and usable. I remember what a shocking surprise it was when I first stumbled upon this facility on a cycling tour just after moving to CM.

You may be better off using the facilities at the Chiang Mai 700 anniversary stadium. Great pool, fitness rooms, velodrome and much more. Membership 500 baht a year. I help organise the velodrome if anyone wants to experience riding on a banked track on fixed wheel.

Ian

Thanks for the info.

After my posting, I did some more research and came across a webpage from the Uniserv department of CMU, which apparently arranges student/staff exchanges with other universities. The page indicates that "outsiders" can use the fitness center for a fee of about 35 baht per visit or 900 baht per month. It did not say whether that allows you to use the other facilities of the University.

I have sent them an email to find out, and will post here if I get any useful information.

Cheers.

You may be better off using the facilities at the Chiang Mai 700 anniversary stadium. Great pool, fitness rooms, velodrome and much more. Membership 500 baht a year. I help organise the velodrome if anyone wants to experience riding on a banked track on fixed wheel.

Ian

Ian, do you know if the fitness room contains free weights and a squat rack? I ask because I am a CAWOW "lifetime" member and if it goes down the pooper which is likely, I will be looking for an alternative but don't need all the bells and whistles of a "club".

With thanks in advance,

Pikey.